Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

:dead::swoon: I've officially gotten sick from working too much and then the dentist trip that didn't help either. I worked today from 6 am to 230pm. I came home and slept close to 3 hours. I've called and texted my boss to see if he can find a replacement for me tomorrow. The other nurse in my center can't work for me since she has other things she needs to get done. She's worked every day this week so she needs the time off to. At least she has her age going for her since she's only 25. If I can't get a sub then I have to be back at 6am tomorrow until closing which should be by 5pm. I hope my boss can come up with someone but I really think it's going to be impossible. Do any nurses out there want to move to PA and work with Me?

I was walking at work today and I began getting very sharp pains in Rusty that caused me to start limping pretty badly. The bionic one still swells but I find myself putting all my weight on it when I'm standing still. It's another sign that this knee replacement stuff really is worth it. I still do have some nerves causing tingling on the outside of my lower leg bit I'm guess I'm just getting used to that. It almost feels the same as if the circulation was cut off and now the blood has started flowing back into it. What I would refer to as 'pins and needles' for any US people that may use that terminology.
 
I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm from Canada and I know what you mean by pins and needles. I had the same in my knee and I had some this weekend for a short while. I'ts really unpleasant.
 
I'm glad you managed to get at least 4 hours' reprieve, Marian. Don't compromise your own health by trying to look after other people.
It sounds as if your boss needs to find at least one other permanent member of the nursing staff.
 
I'm glad you got the reprieve. It's something at least.
@Celle yeah, they always need to have extras at least on-call, as most institutions here, and probably everywhere think they can work nurses to the bone and it's perfectly ok. I've rarely worked any nursing job where short staffing wasn't a problem. Especially specialty areas like Marian's.
 
I feel so bad for you Marian, you've had a difficult time for too long now. I don't know how you keep going. I hope and pray that somehow something can change for the better in your work situation. You need rest, rest and more rest and that's just for starters.
Tabby xxx
 
If you refused to work such long hours would you get fired? I don't think so. I thinking this staffing issue is your bosses problem. You need to take care of yourself and work decent hours before Rusty has a major rebellion. This only makes good sense. If you get sick then what will the boss do? I am glad you got a few hours more sleep. You deserve lots of time off to rest, rest, rest.
 
Your health comes first. Your boss should realize that.
 
Oh Marian, I feel for you. If you keep going like you're going, I'm afraid you will end up very ill. Can you put the cards on the table for your boss, letting him/her know that an investment in your well-being now will result in much greater productivity in the next year? I hate it's come to nurses (and doctors) being valued by things like productivity and dollars generated instead of caring, compassion and patient outcomes. Unfortunately, it's our reality and has driven so many of our over 50 colleagues from the bedside, taking their skills and knowledge with them. I'm sure your employer values you for your expertise and doesn't want to lose that -- I think presenting your health and happiness as an investment might be a strategy that will give you some relief. It's worth a try, right?


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Marian, I'm sorry I didn't see your post about teaching until now (I have trouble navigating on my phone). Here, in Ohio, and in NC (my home state), many of our clinical instructors in AS programs have BS degrees in fields other than nursing. We can also hire faculty (didactic and clinical) who have BS degrees in other fields, as long as they are working on a BS or MS in nursing (many take 1 online class at a time). In rural areas where I have worked, there is such a dirty of faculty that even in the BSN programs, we could hire clinical faculty with BS in non-nursing fields. It's worth looking into. I know I would look at you seriously, based on your dialysis experience alone -- you have all the critical care and med surg skills students need to learn.

Sorry to blab so much but I can't stand to see a fellow nurse working in an abusive environment . I know you're doing it for your patients (thank God for nurses like you) -- but it's your LIFE we're talking about. Hugs to you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
I worked from 10 am until a little after 4pm. It was a very short day for me. I usually help the techs as much as possible but today I only did my job and wasn't much of a help to them. I was so thankful that a nurse from another center covered for me this morning from 6 to 10. She usually works about 50 or more hours a week. I don't know how she can do that. I have no medical problems at all other than one arthritic knee and I need to lose weight and I'm doing too much with working a bit more than 40 hours a week. I think it's the hours and not having two days off in a row for last the last few weeks that has gotten to me. I find my days off are just as busy as my work days.

I really should be icing my knees more. I haven't been doing any icing lately and I can feel it. My chiropractor has been on vacation and my back is also starting to hurt again. If this is what getting older feels like I'm not a happy camper. I've been thinking about when I might want to have my other knee done. I'm not sure when would work out to be the best time. I go back to the OS at the end of next month. I'll have to check with him to see what he suggests.

:capn:My youngest daughter told me she had her vacation time okay ed for January so it's CRUISE TIME!!! I loved it before so we are going again. We will be going to the Caribbean and leaving from Florida or Puerto Rico so if anyone wants to come start packing now and dust off those passports!
 
I totally understand, working 40 hours is hard, I have 3 days off in a row and I still feel like it is not enough, believe it or not I don't have that much time to myself.

A cruise sounds amazing, I know you will have lots of fun and you have earned a vacation. Something great to look forward to!!
 
A cruise sounds so nice! I've been thinking about doing that in the future. How relaxing!
 
Cruise! Just the ticket! I've never been on a cruise but it sounds like heaven. You so deserve a cruise!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
I'm alive again! I also am off tomorrow and Sunday! I'm very happy to have the time to at least rest a bit and start some of the cleaning I have been neglecting for the last few weeks. I had a conversation with boss today. A nurse is coming back from leave who works at a different location of our company and her home clinic doesn't need her that much right now so she will be picking up some hours at our clinic. Hopefully this will help us with being down one nurse.

I'm very surprised at how well my bionic knee is doing. It does swell and then it feels tight but I don't have any real pain. It has definitely become my strong leg. I had originally injured that knee over 40 years ago and it has been the one holding me back all my life. I still have that pins and needles feeling on the outer side of my lower leg but I'll gladly take that over all the pain I had over the years. Rusty though aches in the back of the knee and occasionally it will give me sharp pains almost similar to the 'zingers' from my new knee early on. The aching is continuous and nothing seems to help very much. I wonder if it had been bothering me all along but since the other knee was complaining more I just didn't realize it. Has anyone else found that to be true?
 
I'm VERY glad you have 2 days off. Now please don't run yourself ragged with cleaning, ha ha.
 
No, make time for a decent rest this weekend. Think of it as recharging your batteries.
I'm sorry Rusty is being so difficult. My left knee has always been the worst, until my right one decided to give up the ghost last October. Now Lefty is giving me grief. So yes, I've had the same experience as you. It's good to hear that your bionic knee is doing well, though, after all you've been through.
Tabby xxx
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom