Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

It's been a bit hard for me the last week between my daughter and now working extra shifts at work. I'm very worn out both physically and mentally. While I am getting two days off a week they are never together so it seems like I start to get some energy back but then it's back to work again. Work tomorrow then off Thursday and work both Friday and Saturday. I know by Sunday I'll be just beat.

My bionic knee is doing OK but it gets stiff and sore and swells up every day. Lately Rusty, my old knee, has been giving me very sharp pains even when I'm sitting still. I've tred oxycodone or tramadol at night and it's not even touching it . I've tried ice and anti inflammatory meds also. It's only been a little more than 1 month since a steroid injection. I have another appointment with the OS at the end of October. Unfortunately I can't have surgery now.

I still have 2 dogs that have to get back to the vet to check there ears since they both had infections, my family room is a mess with flooring and water problems and my Yorkie is still having asthma attacks. I keep thinking about an old TV ad that said 'Calgon take me away...:bath:. :heehee:
 
On and I forgot to add that I broke a tooth yesterday and haven't been able to get a hold of the dentist yet. :bricks:
 
newlybionic you need a union in your job. The schedule they give you is brutal. I've had a lot of nursing jobs and some weird schedules but never such a punishing one. Not to have 2 days off in a row, or more, is downright illegal I would think. Certainly inhumane. I'm so sorry you have such a schedule. It's pretty difficult to get restored even when one is in top notch condition, with such long hours and so little time off. I realize you have to work, but this job is not serving you well right now. Please try to rest and take care of your health, and your tooth.
 
I'm so sorry you have to work such rough hours. It does seem inhumane to not have 2 days off together to really recharge yourself. Sadly its not illegal, but it should be. I hear ya on the dog ear issues. One of mine battles that all the time. I'm constantly having to do ear washes, and treat with Otomax. Neither of which he likes, and fights me on. I hope you feel better and poor puppy's ears get better
 
Are the days off due to another nurse being on vacation? I know they were good about giving you 2 days off earlier.
 
Oh NB, that sounds so hard. I'm a nurse and those 12 hour shifts were killing me, and I only did 2 weekends a month while I was teaching. I don't know how you are doing it (amazing well, obviously). Have you thought of looking at an adjunct or clinical instructor position? The money won't be as good, but the days off and on-the-feet work are a lot better. There is a desperate shortage of clinical instructors with REAL experience. Just a thought-- I know it might not work with retirement plans, etc, but I've had several friend who took early retirement and became instructors for just the reasons you describe. Plus, it's a joyful job, teaching our future nurses the "right" way.

I'm saying prayers for you right now. I simply can't imagine going back to clinical right now. That is some of the most intense work there is, IMO. Thank goodness your patients have you. I can tell from reading your posts that you are the kind of nurse I would want to take care of me or my family.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Newlybionic,
When it rains it pours, hope you get ahold of the dentist today and can get your tooth fixed ASAP.
Your schedule sounds brutal, is there a shortage nurses in your area?
:console2:
 
Sorry about all the problems and frustrations. Sometimes it seems our knees have to vie for attention. Remember me? Your new knee? It's all about ME!
 
I don't know how you do it, girl! You've got strength that we all wish we had. I will continue to pray for you.
 
Marian, I don't even know what to say, you are really going through a rough time, hang in there!

Can you talk to your boss and try to get your schedule changed back to two days off in a row??

I hope you find relief and are able to sleep soon:flwrysmile:
 
I currently work in a non-hospital dialysis center that is one of the major companies. I only started there last November after my original TKR. I worked for just over 6 months and then was out for 12 weeks. Dialysis is a new area of nursing for me so they have taught me everything. There are only three nurses for my facility and one fell a couple of weeks ago at work and broke her arm which needed surgery. On top of that we are down a couple of techs too. We've been trying to get other nurses and techs from different locations to help cover some shifts. We can't just hire someone since my company has a three month orientation with a 5 day class with exam you must pass for techs with an additional three months training for the RNS. The manager in my building is a social worker so when I am there I have total control over everything medical that happens in the building. Everyone is basically working under my RN license. My BS from school is actually in Mathematics. I have an AS in Nursing. Therefore I haven't seen anywhere that knee could teach though I've had many years of teaching and business traiming in my two previous occupations.

Of course I never got in touch with the dentist. First it was too early then too late. I'll try again tomorrow. Two of my little friends are due at the vet tomorrow.
 
It's is rough to be a dialysis nurse

My dad says that his nurses are the hardest working he has seen and he appreciates them so much

I'm sure u do the same for your patients

I'm a pediatrician on my feet all day

At the end the knee feels stiffer but it moves fine to do things I need

Do most feel that way?
 
As far as I am concern to be a good nurse like you are and to care as you do, it's not a job it's a calling and it's certainly not an easy life. My hat's off to you.:angel:

@Dearjr I am past one year and my knee still bothers me every day all day:shrug:
 
I have about a 45 minute drive home after work and I find that I have a very hard time walking from my car into my house. I guess my knees have decided it's time for a rest. I'm fairly stiff legged from that point on.

I finally got my dogs back to the vet and they are fine. I actually only spent $77 there today.

I also got my dentist on the phone. I have an appointment next Tuesday for a crown and possibly a root canal too. O what fun! I can't wait to go. The one good thing is that they can actually make the crown while you are there and they have recliners with tvs to watch. They even supply pillows and blankets if you want them.
 
Be sure to ask your surgeon about your dental work. I know some frown on it for a while about a tkr.
How in the world did you get out so cheaply at the vets. When I take one cat I it's usually at least $75 or more for routine shots! I think I'll run them up to yours!
 
I understand your work situation better now...I am glad your dental problem will be resolved next week, and your doggies are ok. Now is time to REST as much as you can!!

BTW my dentist told me I have to have an antibiotic prior to any dental work, they should give it to you at the dentist's office, my OS said some dentists only like to do it for 2 years after TKR, my OS told me lifetime, he will give it to me if my dentist won't. You may want to verify. Good luck!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom