Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

I was awakened early (earlier than the 4:15 am I was to get up) by one of my dogs. My Yorkie who is my avatar currently was having some problems. She has a collapsing trachea which can happen with this breed. Occasionally she will cough a couple of times but it has been very mild. I was dreaming that she was coughing until I fully woke up and found her constantly hacking. It was so strong her whole body left the ground with each one. I got up and took them all out. I gave her some albuterol. After about 15 minutes it stopped and she seemed more comfortable. I thought about calling out but we were very short staffed and legally they couldn't open the center without me or another staff member to take my place. Since she seemed better I got ready to leave. Right before I was going to leave it started again. I didn't know what to do. I'm sure the problems are caused by my floor problems as there is a lot of dust and it's very dirty. I had to leave her. I was hoping she would go to a different area of the house and stay there. I was able to call a friend who got here a few hours after I left and she seemed ok to her. I was vey worried to say the least. She coughed a bit when I came home but is sleeping now. I'm off tomorrow and if I think she needs to go to the vet I'll take her. They are open 24/7 so I can rush her there if I need to. I still have some medication left for her. I don't want to wind up making that choice again.

We found out that one of our patients passed away at home after we sent him to the hospital from the center yesterday and they just sent him home. We had to call a family member who went to his home and found him there. He was very ill but it just seemed like the hospital just didn't bother to really check him out.

Flooring update: it might be my imagination but I really think it has dried a bit. I left the ceiling fan on high and the house AC on 68. Maybe that will do the trick.

Finally bionic knee update. I hit my knee when I went to sit down on a corner of a very sharp desk. OUCH! I felt some sharp pain under my knee cap for about an hour. Sitting here with ice in it now. It's dissipating fortunately. The old knee, Rusty, keeps reminding me he's there too. He's getting be like a jealous child. I have threatened him with a TKR and a revision but the rest of my body doesn't want him to have a chance to say yes. We are afraid that being the little green eyed monster he might say yes!:loll:
 
My Chihuahua also has the collapsing trachea and coughs like a duck. Thankfully she always stops. How scary for you and your little one. I didn't know there were meds for this. I hope that it doesn't happen again. My left knee is also a little angry for always having to do the stairs. I am hoping that once Lady Mary gets in the swing of things the other knee will be happier. I'm sorry about you hitting your knee. I did that the other day but it was the other knee. I don't want to even think about if it were Lady Mary. I'm glad you got that under control. Won't it be wonderful when all these things go away and we can get back to being normal. Of course, there is no such thing as normal. We are all special!
 
Oh Marian, your poor little Yorkie. I hope she's OK. Good thing there's meds for her problem. And your poor knee. I can't even stand a cat walking on it. But, bumping it on a sharp corner:yikes:. That's awful. I pray you do alright with it tonight and tomorrow.
 
Five months already! Time has gone by quickly and slowly at the same time. I'm tired of recovery and also now tired of my old knee, aka Rusty, hurting more.

Positives: I can do steps normally the majority of the time. I can walk at a 'normal' speed rather than my old slow ones pre op. My bionic knee is strong and a lot of times I find myself shifting my weight on that one the majority of the time when standing. Pain from that knee doesn't keep me awake at night. I can walk up and down steep inclines without problems but I'm still tentative on uneven ground. Overall I'm very happy even taking into consideration I found out 5 months after my TKR I needed a revision and had it done at 8 months.

Negatives: Rusty is very unhappy now and the cortisone shot has only partially helped and it's only 1 month after I had it. In both legs my calf muscles get very tight. I do a variety of stretches for them every day and on breaks from working. They are very hard and are impossible to massage out. Rusty has started to hold back my bionic one too. Both knees swell every day. The bionic one gets to a moderate level fairly quickly at work and I ice every night at home. The majority of nights I take something for pain because of my old knee. If I could have surgery now I would do it tomorrow but I can't due to work. I've been thinking of going back to see the OS but short of a TKR I don't think there's going to be anything to help. I've had all types of injections in that knee over the last 10 years or so.
 
I am so sorry that you aren't in the position to get Rusty 'changed out' now. You know you have an excellent surgeon, so it's just a matter of time you will find your relief. Try and rest as you can for your knees this weekend.
 
I took my little Yorkie to the vet. It is indeed her collapsing trachea plus dust around the house from work going on that is causing her respiratory problems. Plus she has an ear infection. One of my other dogs has a double ear infection. The third went for her checkup. Everyone has now had their shots. And Sandy was given some meds for her coughing. One has teeth clean plus the double ears. So far during August I have spent $1200 on their health bills. They have insurance but nothing Sandy has is covered. Teeth aren't covered. Ears would be bug I have $500 deductible on each of them.

One of the nurses fell at work early Monday morning and broke her arm and pulled a hamstring muscle. She may need surgery. So that leaves just 2 of us left to cover the shifts. So instead of working 3 long shifts it will be 4 or 5 per week. Due to the long training requirements it's not like we could just get some one from an agency to fill in.

Rusty is deciding to not cause me much problems at the moment. Just some swelling. The 'bionic' one swells every day but it has definitely been the stronger of the two. Many times when I'm standing I find myself having my entire weight on my TKR leg. I consider that amazing considering having had two replacements on the same knee. It's a bit uncomfortable at night and sometimes of take a tramadol so I can sleep better.

So with the extra workload I will get paid more and accrue more PTO. I just won't be able to take time off to spend the extra money! :shrug:
 
I can relate to vet bills! But not $1200 in one month! Wow! Thank goodness you'll be working more to help pay for those babies of yours! And your PTO will come in handy when Rusty is fixed. But, that won't help Rusty working all those extra hours. Good thing the bionic is doing so well. Your surgeon was a God-send! Will he be doing Rusty, too?
 
@sistersinhim I will definitely use the same OS. He just turned 50 so he'll be around for a few more years. I've still have a grand baby to be on the way so I think that's where my PTO will be used.
 
That sounds perfect, and the best to spend PTO! My grand children are the kids at church.
 
Sorry to hear about your little dog with the collapsing trachea problems, Marian. :console2:
Our golden retriever had that - they're also a breed that is prone to it. She lived to be 13, which is a good age for the breed, but we had to let her go when the collapsing trachea got too much. She would collapse and her tongue and gums would turn purple (cyanosis). Distressing for her, and to watch!

I hope those extra shifts at work aren't too unkind to your knees.
 
I definitely need today to recharge my batteries. I'm very tired. I think today will just be a lost day and I'll get nothing done at home. I helped a friend pay a bill for her car so she came over while I was at work and cleaned up my house as much as possible since I still have furniture all out of my family room and some of it is in my kitchen. She even did some laundry for me.

My oldest daughter is doing well and is 10 weeks pregnant and so far all is going well. Thanks for your continued prayers. She had even started thinking about the nursery decor. I couldn't be more excited.

My bionic knee is a bit achy today. I need to put ice on it but I just haven't had the energy to even get the ice wraps. I'll get around to it soon. :snork:

My other daughters are going to the Jersey Shore today to see my dad and go to the beach. It would have taken me at least three hours to drive there from here so I decided I couldn't take that round trip today. My dad is slowly losing his memory and it's quite sad. It's hard to hAve a conversation with him now as he can't follow what is said. I try to call him as often as possible.

There are nights just still can't sleep with knee pains from Bionic and Rusty. Plus I have other things on my mind with my daughter, my dad and now extra work hours. It's getting very hard. I'm glad I was able to get out of work today. The clinic is closed on Sundays so I have tomorrow too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You do need a good day of rest and relaxation. I am sorry that there is so much you have to deal with right now. I am sure that the stress is affecting how rusty and bionic feel. Rest will restore you. I don't know how you do all you do. I am glad you have others in your life to help. Have a peaceful day and treat yourself to whatever makes you feel good.
 
So glad your pregnant daughter is doing good, so exciting...I'm sorry about your dad, I know how hard that is. I know all too well about stress and it affects us in so many ways.

Enjoy your days off and get some well deserved rest!!!
 
:sorry: My daughter had a miscarriage this evening. She is still in the hospital as of now. Please pray that she is OK. Thank you.
 
Oh no, I am so sorry. I am praying for all of you.
 
I'm so sorry, you must all be devastated. I do so hope she herself is OK. xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom