Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

@Jamie I started a new job about 14 weeks after my original TKR and I went to a runners store as another ember had suggested here. There they measured both feet and looked at my gait and if my foot was not hitting the floor correctly. She even checked the wear pattern on my old sneakers too. I tried on several pairs and choose one for work and another for anything else. I've since been back post revision to have them checked. They will even let you return them after you wear them for a few days. It cost a little more but it did help.

Currently I'm working 30 hour weeks. On one hand that is enough to be considered full time for my company. I usually wind up working a few more than that so I can pay the bills. Unfortunately because the hours my center is open I will wind up working at least 10 hours per shift. I've been able to request to work no more than 2 days in a row. I have off every Sunday and every other Saturday. So far it's been working out but if we start to get more patients or if the other center needs me I will be asked to work more. I will have a hard time saying no to them because they have been so good to me.

Whoops! I didn't just rest after I got home from my cortisone injection. I had a chiropractor appointment and was stuck in an hour long traffic jam. After that I went to see my therapist (psychologist) and then back home again. I'm taking the night off. Tomorrow I'm not going to the beach but I will go see my youngest daughter who has off. There is an outdoor community pool in her development so I'll try to get a swim in between the rain. We will probably go out for an early dinner and then I'll come back home. She's about two hours drive from me. I'll get to see one of my 'grand pups' too. I'm off until Monday so I can come back home and do a few things around my house that I have been neglecting.
 
Who knows if icing and resting the knee helps, I'm just a rule follower! When I had a shot in the am before school I took an ice pack in the car with me and stuffed it up the bottom of my pants! Have a great day with your daughter!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoy your day tomorrow! Have a wonderful relaxing time.
 
My dogs got even with me this morning. I usually get up at 4:15am on days I work and my dogs rather sleep a bit more so today when I didn't have to get up until 8:30 am they decided to jump in me at 6am!:doggie::puppysmooze::dogwalk:

I went to my chiropractor and then I drove 2 hours to see my youngest daughter. We went out to lunch and did some shopping at the Amish market and picked up some delicious baked breads. Then it was off to the community pool and my middle daughter joined us a little later. It was just beautiful out. I forgot how much I missed having an outdoor pool to swim in. We had hoped to go to the beach for the day but since the weather was a bit iffy I didn't want the three hour drive each way to go there and back. I'll try to get there next week if I can so I can see my dad and maybe get a quick swim too. I was gone from 9 am until 10:30 tonight. The NASCAR race is up here this weekend so the traffic will be crazy the next two days. The only thing I have to do is take 2 of my dogs to the groomer. I'm just going to hang out here for the rest of the weekend.
 
It sounds like you had a wonderful day, I'm happy for you! It feels amazing to be able, once again, to do the things we enjoy so much.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!
 
I'm sure you enjoyed spending time with your daughters. I agree about an outdoor pool, there's nothing like swimming with sun shining on the water, an indoor pool just isn't the same. Enjoy your weekend at home, it's rainy and foggy in Pittsburgh this morning.
 
I'm home with my ice machine humming away in my bionic knee. Rusty (old knee) is a bit sore and I'll get some ice packs in a bit for him. I had a relatively short day (10 hours) for me. I was the only nurse in the building for 16 patients. We have one tech per each 4 patients but I had to take a group for the first hour. That's the most busy part of the day as we have to get them up and going on each dialysis machine. I then had 16 assessments to do and medications to give to all of them. It really kept me moving along pretty quickly. I managed to get through everything fairly well and took care of all my other duties within a decent time frame. Fortunately my back and neck aren't causing a lot of pain right now. I have two visits with the chiropractor this week with Thursday's a re evaluation. Hopefully I won't have to see ortho doc for those problems too. I've been thinking about when I might want to have Rusty become bionic I'm just not sure. Maybe early next year after a cruise in January to the Caribbean. I've got to get that vacation in!:cool:
 
Good to hear your back and neck aren't bothering you after a long day of work.
 
Sounds like you had a pretty good day. It wonderful that your back and neck and behaving themselves!
 
Hi Marian,
Just wanted to ask you if the cortisone injection has helped your R knee? I had one in my L knee 6 weeks ago and it helped a lot, but lately if feels like it's wearing off :sad:, as I mentioned in one of my other posts, I think we are in the same boat with our knees...you needing new R knee and me needing a new L knee :doh:
 
@Majella I've got to wait because of work. I'm not sure when I could get it done. I've had injections in this knee before. It has helped a bit but it is locking up occasionally. That's not a good sign. I'm not in a real rush for knee #3!
 
I took a small mis-step today and was very surprised. I missed a small step. I didn't fall but stepped down hard on my bionic side. My knee didn't collapse or hurt. It just held nice and strong. No pain at all. This happened after working an 11 hour day. It really has gotten to be my stronger leg. I find myself standing with all my weight shifted on that one most of the time. I do get stiffness and swelling every day but I've been told I could have that for up to 18 months. It's a very small price to pay. Fortunately the cortisone shot has seemed to help me more than the ones I had in the past. The OS gave me the injection in a different area than the others did before. Hopefully it will continue to do so. I have a return visit in three months.
 
Good news on that new knee and the old one too! I'm so glad for you that the mis-step brought good information and not disaster like we all fear. My steroid shot lasted for a full six months. I hope yours does too.
 
Marian, that could have been a disaster! Thank the Lord your knee stood up to the test! That's good to know for all of us, because sooner or later it will happen to us, too! Hopefully, that shot will give you relief for a long time!
 
Isn't it great to know how strong our new knees are? I love hearing stories like yours! And you were able to catch yourself too when slightly off balance. That's a sign that your muscle strength and balance are returning. Bravo!!!
 
Whew! Good for you! My college roommate who had a TKR about 10 years ago fell on both her knees while on vacation. She is currently icing and elevating a very bruised and swollen TKR. So glad you stayed up on your feet!
 
I thought that I might have felt some repercussion from yesterday but no problems at all! I still get swelling and stiffness but it's no big deal since the knee works so well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom