Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Ok so it's now going on 1am and I've been up since 4:15am. I had no naps either and was at work for 11 hours. The question I have is why am I still awake? I've taken what my doctor has prescribed me to help with sleep but maybe I'm just overtired. :bored::yawn:

Both knees are on ice and I'm feeling ok. Hopefully I'll doze off soon.
 
I would guess you are/were overtired. This has happened to me. Once I read if you totally relax your body you can your body heals as if you were asleep. This comforts me a little when I just can't fall asleep. I hope you were able to sleep after writing this note.
 
Hope you were able to fall asleep. When I worked evening shift I'd come home so wired that I'd be up till 3AM. When I worked day shift I'd come home and crash. But your 11+ hours, well they did me in. Rest and regroup on your days off. You are awesome for keeping up with those long hours. Also when I worked 12 hour shifts, we had hour and a half lunch break and an additional 45 mins in the last 4 hour period. You have too short breaks. Is that even legal? I suppose you are non-Union?
 
@mamazipp No union where I work but even when I worked in a unionized hospital it was 30 minute lunches. We used to get a 45 lunch where I worked if we gave up our later in the day break. Unfortunately they changed it to match the company guidelines.

I did fall asleep at around 1:30 or 2:00am. I had someone out to give me an estimate on some work on my house, went to see some friends, back home again and now I've got to get ready to go back out to the chiropractor. Then home to do some laundry and get everything ready tonight for another early morning. Tomorrow is finally the last day of my orientation at work. My company has at least a 6 month orientation for nurses so even though I started last November I lost a lot of time due to my revision. They've be very good to me during all of this.
I have off Thursday through Sunday. A mini vacation of sorts. I am going to see OS on Thursday about my old knee. It hasn't been happy with me. I've gotten all types of shots before and have had PT too. It will be interesting to see what he thinks about it. I have pain in the front of the knee and also in the back when bending it. It is also swollen. While I could walk down steps like a 'big' girl as far as my bionic knee the old one has decided not to go along with the program.

My back and neck are not bothering me right now. Hopefully the chiropractor can keep those problems at bay for now.
 
I'm so sorry you're going through all that. I so wish you could stay home more and let those poor knees rest. But hopefully the coming "mini vacation" will be a big help.
 
Ok so here I am wide awake again!:bored: I've got to get up at 4:15 am. I've been up since 8 this morning with no naps and I've been on the go all day. I've even taken something to help with sleep my doctor prescribed which was working but of course not tonight! I'm sure as soon as it's time to get up I'll be sound asleep!:alarm:
 
Not being able to sleep is so miserable, especially when you have to work the next day. At least you have some time off coming and can head to that beach! I pray you get through today OK.
 
Did you get sleep? It's awful laying there looking at the clock knowing you have to get up in ___ hours. Praying always helps me fall asleep.
 
I have had that happen, just as soon as you drift off, you have to get up to go to work, doctors, etc. :tantrum2: when you really want this:sleep:.
 
You are a truly amazing woman. Nothing stops you - pain, lack of sleep, etc. I can't imagine that I could survive working the hours you work! Hang in there. I know that you realize it will be worth it in the end. I hope you get some good zzzzzzz soon!
 
Well I had 4 hours of sleep last night. I'm lucky I got there in time because I woke up 45 minutes late. Otherwise I would have had only 3+ hours of sleep. Needless to stay I wasn't at my best today. :mcoffee: I felt so very tired. I worked from 6 am until 5 pm then had a doctor appointment at 6 near to work. I grabbed some take out food because I knew I'd be too tired to cook. I got home at about 8 pm.

Tomorrow is my appointment with my OS so he can exam my old knee. I think I might have hurt it more last week when I almost fell at work. I made a couple of off balance steps with both knees. I'm also having some muscle cramping in my calves probably because I'm dehydrated. It is very hot working with the gowns we have to wear over our scrubs. We are not allowed to have anything to drink out on the treatment floor so I'm trying to get some fluids into me now. Hopefully the cramping will subside. I'll get some ice for both knees for tonight. Maybe I can get a little more sleep!:sleep:
 
I pray you get loads of good sleep tonight! I can't imagine not being able to drink anything in that awful heat. I think I'd just about die of thirst. Don't they know that's terribly unhealthy?!
 
@sistersinhim I had two half hour breaks during my eleven hour shift. Because there is a chance of blood contamination anywhere on the treatment floor we can have drinks around. If I could I would be sipping water all day long.
 
Hi Marian, I also work long shifts in healthcare, and I'm typically in and out of Isolation rooms all night long. I can get very dehydrated if I don't watch myself. It's hardly fair to work in an environment that promotes wellness for everyone except the staff. Is there a breakroom where you can pop in periodically to chug some water? Maybe you will sleep better on days off if you're not constantly battling dehydration at work. Take care of you!
 
I just can't imagine not being able to drink. I have something to drink beside me all the time. I don't get in a car without water with me! I agree with @Clipless, these businesses need to be more employee friendly. They need to practice what they preach! I'm afraid sooner of later someone is going to pass out working under your conditions. You much be one tough lady!
 
Actually a little while ago that one of my co-workers got dizzy. Her blood sugar was low and we had to have her go sit in our break room and eat something and have a drink before she could continue.

I went to my OS today about my old knee (I think I should call him Rusty). Well I had the usual set of X-rays taken. My OS said I will need a replacement since it is all bone on bone. He felt poor Rusty was also very tired from doing double duty for so many months. He told me he would suggest a cortisone shot now to give me some more time. So we shot Rusty! :shocked: It did hurt quite a bit. I was good and only said OW but never moved my leg at all. It feels a bit better. I guess I'm different than most here in that if I could get it replaced now I would have it done tomorrow. That's how much I trust my OS. I can't do it now because of my job. I've got to support myself. I have an appointment in three months and I'll get another shot. I hope Rusty can just calm down again.

He looked at the Bionic One and he was very happy with my ability to extend and flex it. Still not at zero but I'm getting there slowly and surely. It took my 60 years to get that knee in the shape it is. I told him that it was now my strong leg. I find myself with all my weight on it when standing. It still swells when I'm up. He told me it could take me up to 18 months for it to stop. That's a minor inconvenience to me since it now works far better than before.

One question I probably should have asked is do I need to do anything with Rusty after his cortisone shot? I'm off today so it's just a couple of stops I have today.
 
I never did anything special after cortisone into my knee joint. Doc always said take it easy for the rest of the day, but I had no reactions or aftereffects and didn't need any ice or pain meds afterward.
 
I just did some catching up on your thread and am so sorry you're having pain. I didn't see that anyone had mentioned changing out all your shoes after your last surgery. Have you done that? With the outrageous amount of time you must be on your feet in your job, even a slight wear patter from old shoes could be impacting your back and neck through poor alignment. So, if you haven't done it, I'd get a new pair of work shoes.

I can see there is nothing to be done about your work schedule, but it is brutal and at least part of the reason you are having so many problems. If there is any way to get your shifts reduced in the future, maybe you could talk with your boss about it. You're not going to be any good to your employer or your patients if you push yourself beyond the breaking point. Stress and physical exhaustion have a way of impacting us even when we think it's not.
 
I did nothing but take it easy after my shots. The day after my knee was usually really sore from the shot, but by the third day I started to get relief. So far my human knee is behaving. But, I'm not doing too much either! I'm going to put this surgery off as long as possible. I won't have my $2000 out of pocket to worry about before the end of the year since I'm losing that insurance, so I can really wait!! I am so glad! Maybe I'll never have to have it replaced!
 
All the orthos who gave me cortisone or supplement shots wanted me to elevate, ice and stay off it until the next day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom