Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Ouch ! :flabber: I just had something pop in my old knee! It made me start to limp and I had to sit down. Bionic knee is handling now doing double duty for the old one that has been doing it for over 40 years. I'm off tomorrow and will see chiropractor. I have an appointment next week with OS about my old knee. This is probably not a good time since I have my marathon 14 hour day coming up on Wednesday. I'll try to do as little as possible tomorrow but I've got to get groceries. I can't use the motorized carts because I keep crashing then and there aren't very many available at the store that I like to shop. I'll leave them for those who need them more than I do.
 
Oh no. I'm so sorry. Hopefully it'll settle down before Wednesday so you don't have to suffer your knee asyou work FOURTEEN HOURS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gaah:
 
I hope your old knee behaves itself and quits being so jealous! Get plenty of rest today.
 
Today is Wednesday and I am thinking of you. I hope you are able to take rests and get that knee elevated occasionally. Please let us know that you survived the 14 hours. I think you deserve a super woman cape.
 
How are you, Marian? We are all thinking about you.
 
Thanks @truckinguy for the info. It has been very helpful hearing that it will continue to get better. I have also realized that I was so out of shape before the surgery due to my knees that I have to give that time too. I can see now that I am better off having my surgery. I've been working at going down the stairs. I have to remember that I haven't be able to do that for years so I need to relearn that.

Hello Marian,
I know this post was from last year, but I had a left TTT when I was 17 and even at that young age, it took me a long time to recover! I still can't do steps like I would like to, but it's not the end of the world for me! Hope you're doing well at this point.

Jen
 
:old: This is how I looked tonight after my marathon 14 hour day. I had three half hour breaks. I spent the majority of the time standing and walking. Bionic knee is swollen, old one is yelling and back is well not very happy at all and I can't stand up too straight right now. I picked up something to eat for dinner tonight. So now ice on my knee and heat on my back. Of course I also have two of my three dogs sitting on my lap. I took a Percocet so that I can have a good night tonight and maybe some sleep when everything calms down a bit.

Tomorrow will be 4 months since I had my revision. I'm really very happy with it. I tripped today when I caught my foot on the end of a pallet and was able to catch myself with bionic one without any pain at all. I was totally amazed. Working at a different location caused me to walk a lot more steps because I couldn't find everything I needed so I had to keep going back and forth to find it. Lots of extra steps but I survived! :tiredwheel:
Tomorrow I'm off so I can just take it easy and not have to get up at 4:15 am. :alarm: I do see the chiropractor tomorrow so I hope he can help me out. I would be pretty good if I didn't have to work at all or if I had an office job but unless someone sends me a windfall I guess I will continue to work.:snork:
 
FOURTEEN hours?! On your feet? You are amazing. I'm glad your new knee is doing well. I pray your chiropractor helps you today. I hope you have a restful and restorative day.
 
4 months today! It seems like it has gone by very quickly. My OS and his PA both told me before surgery that I wouldn't have any pain a couple of weeks after I had my revision. While I dismissed that idea when they told me pre op they were actually true to their word. I did follow the advice here to ice and elevate and did that almost constantly I found that after about a week I really didn't need pain medications regularly. My home PT was great and did some massaging of my muscles and only did gentle stretches with me. Outpatient PT was fairly similar. The first time I got on a recumbent bike at three weeks I could easily pedal in both directions and could do so for 10 minutes at a fairly quick rate. I did no exercises that hurt at all. When I stopped PT at 10 weeks my ROM wax 127/5. I'm sure both numbers have increased since both knees seem to be equal.

I've been stopped from doing much exercising do to back and neck problems that are plaguing me now. I have hurt my back in the past a couple of times and never went to,have a doctor check it. I've developed several areas of arthritis and I have scoliosis in my neck and lower back. The nerves in my spinal cord are being depressed as well as some of the nerves coming out from the cord to different areas of my body. Hence the burning/tingling pain on my outer calf that feels like a sunburn. Hopefully the chiropractor can help but I will have a re eval at 4 weeks to see what other steps I should take if needed.

I went back to work at 13 weeks (I was very lucky to have short term disability at 50% of my regular salary for 12 of those weeks. I had no PTO time since I wasn't in the job for very long prior to my revision.
I've been working 10 to 12 hours a day and I'm on my feet for the vast majority of the time. It is taking a lot out of me.

Overall I am happy I had the revision since the original TKR made me knee worse than it was before my surgery. I found an OS who was able to give me my life back. I know that if my OS ever told me I need the other one done I would have no problem with saying yes. The only drawback is work right now. Since it has been bothering me more since I went back to work I see him next week to have him see what I should do about it.

This post is very long because it's my journal,of everything I've gone through for over a year now. It's something for me to read when/if I have to get the old knee become newlybionic!
 
It's a great 4 month post, except for your neck and back pain. Did you have that pain before going back to work?
 
@KarriB I had given my self whiplash during a fall because I jerked my head back so I wouldn't hit my head on pavement. As far as my back I've had some aches and pains before too. Neither seem to bother me as much as they now do. I guess it's the arthritis that's set in that's not helping either.

Today (Friday) I worked 10.5 hours in my own center. It was pretty busy and I only had one 30 minute break during that time. I was achy afterwards and bionic knee continues to swell but no real pain to speak of. The old one is bothering me and I see my OS on Thursday for his first full exam of it. I have a MRI disk to bring with me that was done at the old OS office.
 
My back doesn't bother me as much if I use a can. So when it's really bad or I have to walk a lot that's what I do. I realize that may be hard at work for you.
 
I almost did resort to my cane after work on Wednesday but s determined not to take a step backwards(:heehee:) with my back. The chiropractor did help me a lot off Thursday so I could finally get some groceries into my house.

My knee up is still a bit swollen today but I've decided I'm doing absolutely nothing today. I've declared it a mental health day. I am catching up on tv shows I've missed since going back to work. My good friend cleaned my whole downstairs and did all my laundry for me when I had my 14 hour day on Wednesday. I am so blessed to have a friend like that.

My vacation cruise is set for the second week of January. We will be leaving out of Puerto Rico for a 7 night trip through the Carribbean. If anyone wants to join us it can be a nice trip for all of us with our shiny knees.
 
I have a short week coming up. I'm working only Monday and Wednesday 11 hours each day. I'm looking forward to the other days off and will hopefully get to the beach on Friday weather permitting. I'll be able to see my 91 year old dad too. We are slowly losing him as his mind is slipping away. Physically he is also getting weaker.

I have a question of anyone who has spider veins. I noticed today that a spider vein that I have had fior as long as I can remember on the outside of my calf on my TKR leg has almost completely disappeared! It was there before my revision. Has anyone else noticed any changes like that? Was that an extra plus for having a revision? I do have some tingling and occasionally I feel some burning in the area. Just seems very odd to me.
 
Marian,

I just finished reading your entire thread. It was like watching a movie: Will she make it?!

I am amazed by you strength and tenacity!

Ben
 
Marian, I glad you're going to have some time off to relax and see your dad. Enjoy!
 
I'm glad even though you have two very long days, it's a short week so you can rest. I hope you make it to the beach!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom