Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

My friend bought a large assortment of cheese cake slices for the 4th and left the last four slices with me. I have hidden them in the back of my refrigerator so not to be tempted. I have to admit there are two kinds of ice cream in the freezer and also some ice cream bars. I am trying to keep away as my weight goes up up up.
 
Marian you've definitely got a lot of stuff going on with your back but hopefully the chiropractor can give you some relief.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It was 1 year a go today that my TKR journey started. It has been a long time to keep trying to heal and to move on. I'm not yet four months out from my revision. I'm tired of thinking about my knee. I would just like to have it done with already. After twisting it a bit last week it's been swelling a bit more than usual. I caught myself with my old knee which is also hurting me a bit too and swelling by the end of the day. Add my mess in my spine and I'm hurting a bit at the end of the day. I worked 10 hours today and I had to cancel my chiropractor visit because my boss wanted me there early. I'm off tomorrow so I'll see her then. My boss told me today that next Wednesday he wants me to help out another location not to far from my home unit. It's a bigger unit so I'm not thrilled about that. When I asked my schedule for the day I almost flatly said no. It's 6am until 8 pm. That's 14 hours!!!!! I'm going to need a nap time. Because I will be the only RN in the building I can't even go out to grab something for lunch. I'm going to have to pack a couple of meals for the day. I really couldn't say no because both my boss and my company has been so good to me when I was out after my revision.

I'm very tired tonight. Maybe I'll get some sleep. I'm still having problems with that. I'm just not comfortable in my bed and I don't have one place I feel comfortable now. I may even try a Oxycodone tonight . Hopefully I'll fall asleep sometime tonight.
 
14 hours! My goodness! How can anyone be effective when working 14 hours?
 
@newlybionic just reading your post was making me hurt more...I'm sorry you are in pain.

I know what you mean about feeling bad saying no because they have been good to you but I'm sure you earned that, and 14 hours is a lot for even a person without medical issues!!!
 
I feel so bad for you..14 hours!!!! That's beyond torture, especially after a TKR! I don't even understand how they can do that to you, and you won't even get a break? Aren't they required to give you breaks? Take care and I hope your schedule settles down soon.
 
14 hours! I cannot even imagine at this stage to do 14 hours. I am 4 months and there is no way I could do that, after an hour standing I am dead and walking just feels tight again. I know you are very grateful for the support they gave you during your revision but is there no compromise to that schedule? Hoping you are able to work in some breaks and some down time during that shift.
 
I went to my chiropractor today. My lower back is feeling a bit better. My neck and shoulders are still sore. The practice is a husband and wife group. I saw the gentleman today and he did some deep massage on my lower back and found the areas causing me the most pain. It hurt while he was doing it. He also did some adjustments. I walked in hurting but left feeling better. Maybe this will work for me after all! :fingersx:

My knees are a bit of a different story. My bionic knee is still a bit sore and swollen after my mishap last week. I applied some nice lotion and have it elevated. I will get some ice on it tonight. My old knee has been very unhappy. I iced it last night and will do it again tonight. I decided to go see my OS to see what he thinks. He did give me a cortisone shot the first day I met him but I've had them before and it really doesn't seem to do much good. I also have had Synvisc injections too (1 and 3 shot series). They only last for a week or two. My concern now is the back of my knee is also bothering me. I happened to call just as they received a cancellation. I will see him July 27th. I would have had to wait at least more than a month to get an appointment. I know I have some bone on bone and a partially torn cartilage in one area of my knee. Obviously I can't possibly have any surgery right now. If my OS told me I needed a TKR and I could I would do it in a minute. That's how much I trust this doctor.

As far as my 14 hour shift next week I decided I will talk to my boss and make it clear that I will need help from the boss at the other facility who is a LPN. I will also let me know I definitely will need a lot of breaks. I'm guaranteed 3 30 minute breaks but I'm going to ask for at least one more. They can't open the other facility without an RN in the building so they are really stuck for help. I will also make it known that I do not wish to do that shift on a regular basis. It will be very hard working all day in a facility I don't know with co-workers I don't know and a group of 48 patients that I've never seen before. It does add some stress to the experience.
 
I'm so glad you are feeling a little better. I think you made the right decision about your job, if you don't say something now, they may continue to schedule you for that shift.
 
When will you be able to have the TKR on the right knee? I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your 14-hr shift. That's challenging even with knees that are strong. Take care.
 
I'm glad your back is feeling a bit better. I hope your other knee is ok and hold out a while longer.
 
@Wellness in Virginia My current OS has not done a complete exam on my 'old' knee. It has been bothering more. I probably can't get it done (if OS says it's needed) for at least 6 months to a year. If I had the time I'd do it now but I have to worry about my job.

My back always seems better after I see the chiropractor but as soon as I go to work it gets sore again. I'm still working a minimum of 10 hours a day. That's what I did today. I have the heating pad on it now. My bionic kned is actually doing very well. It does swell but it works just fine and I can go up or down stairs without any complaints from it. The old knee however is starting to hold me back. Between that, my back and the old knee I haven't been using my bike at all. I'll see what the OS says when I see him on the 27th.

I spoke to my boss today about my 14 hour shift on Monday. He assured me that the boss at the other location who is a LPN will help me. I guess I'll have to pack a few meals for the day!
 
Sorry tp read of this unreasonably long shift . I hope this other boss will be open to giving you breaks where you can put your feet up for a bit.
 
Even with a few problems with back and old knee I've found that I've reached some other milestones. Though they seem small I'm sure everyone will recognize their importance.

1. When I stand up from a chair ( even regular height) I don't need to use my arms!

2. I can do steps foot over foot both up and down. I still use the banister just in case.

3. I walk about 8 - 10 thousand steps a day at work. Usually 10 to 12 hours a day.

I'm sure I'll meet other milestones such as riding my bike outside for any distance and walking on the beach and taking a swim in the ocean. My Extension is getting a bit better every day. My OS is very pleased and has told me I have a better outcome from my revision than he thought I would. Once again thanks for the prayers of healing and also to send this OS to me when I needed him the most.
 
14 hour days? Is that even legal? Sounds abusive to me. Why cant they just hire more to cover the hours? I honestly dont know how you even put up with that. My heart aches for you. I hope you can find some relief somehow.
 
All those little breakthroughs act up to give us a huge happy day! I don't know how in the world you can do what what do. You have a strength that an average person doesn't have!
 
@dianehelen They have hired another nurse but my company has a 6 month orientation for all nurses. Because I had to have a revision I still have a couple of weeks left. So I can't be the only nurse and the other boss who is an LPN can't worked there by himself because you have to have an RN in the building. So we're stuck with each other! I know what to do and can handle practically anything right now concerning dialysis but it's the company training policy. One of his nurses just retired and his other one is on a well deserved vacation. This is just a rare situation.

@sistersinhim I really don't consider myself as having more strength than anyone else. I've always loved helping people my entire life. It actually makes me feel good. I believe this is what God put me on the earth to do. I believe we all have our roles in life.
 
I agree with you. If we try and do something that's not right for us, we will never be satisfied or be good at. Being in our correct role makes the world work. We have different likes and desires as far as where we are to go. I never could be a nurse. The same with being a school teacher. I have the highest regard for nurses and teachers. They are truly servants of mankind. Thank God we are all different!
 
@sistersinhim - I'm so sorry about the loss of your son. I can't imagine.

@newlybionic - nine hours! And that's a short day. Wow. I hope you're feeling better and the chiropractor helps. I've noticed that I've needed more core muscles quite a bit when recovering.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom