Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

"Only 9 hours"! ugh-that's still a very long day on your feet and running around. I'm so sorry you can't give your knee what it wants and needs still-some activity followed by rest, elevating and ice. Eating healthier won't hurt any of us though.....:) Have you ever tried Quorn products? We really like them, and their grounds are delicious. Both my husband and I prefer them over ground beef. Their burgers are pretty darn good, and all their products are lower in fat and calories than beef and turkey both. Plus they are vegetarian for those who prefer top not eat meat.
 
@lovetocookandsew I've ever heard about that brand but I'll take a look. I'm going to try to find some that are individually frozen so I can easily take one out for a quick dinner.
 
I find them at Raleys and Whole Foods. Maybe you can find them close to you by either going to the Quorn website or checking some stores in your area. Their grounds always look strange when in the package, but as soon as you start to heat them, they look like regular ground beef, and we think they taste better.
 
Thank you ladies for you sympathies. It was in 1983 that I lost him, but sometimes it feels like yesterday. But, I will see him again. We both are saved! And then we'll be together forever! That's what gets me through the down days. @newlybionic, we had Jeno's turkey burgers for the 4th. You can get them that are lightly spiced. They are delicious! We don't have Quorn products here. If so I'd sure give them a try. I'm trying hard to get off my ice cream diet that I've been on since my surgery. Marian, I hope you can find some relief. Your old knee sounds like something strange happened to it. I would have thought rubbing it would have relieved the pain, not add to it!
 
Okay, I've said it before, but I'll say it again.....Ice cream is one of the four major food groups, especially after a TKR!!!!!!
 
You two ladies are so bad!! But, I agree, so I'm bad, too! Let me go get a bowl right now since all I had for lunch was cantaloupe and corn on the cob!
 
I just remembered that all I had was one string cheese today. I have some puppy cookies but they aren't too tasty to me! Did I say I really need groceries?
 
I'm the opposite of most people-I always have a lot of groceries on hand. My freezers are always full as I buy meats, etc. in bulk on sale or just general bulk items, plus I usually have a lot of frozen stuff on hand from my garden in the freezers. I actually plan my menus for an entire month at a time and shop just once for the month, unless I run out of milk or have perishable items written on the menu that I will need to buy for that day's dinner. I'm kind of anal that way.........lol. Truthfully, I'm actually not an ice cream person, but my husband is addicted to it. I used to eat a lot of sweets, especially chocolate, but don't eat too many anymore and rarely eat chocolate at all. If I have a craving for a sweet, I'll have a tootsie pop as it'll satisfy my craving for 60 calories. I will eat an ice cream cone on a hot day, but I only use one scoop in it, which is less than or equal to the serving size listed. And I buy the lower calorie, lower fat variety. Even being careful, and staying at 1400 calories generally, I have still gained weight these last couple of years and really need to get my knee healthy so I can get back to an active life. Even though I don't burn a ton of calories swimming and bike riding, they really add up over the years, and as a result I've put on around 30+ pounds, and I wasn't really skinny to begin with. I was in the okay area, but didn't consider myself even close to skinny. I wore a size 14, and am now in a 16 or 18, which is driving me nuts. Sorry for the rant...lol.
 
My old left knee is aching on the inside every few steps. I'm trying to ignore it and praying that it holds up next week at the beach.

Are turkey burgers less calories? I think I've tried them once and wasn't crazy. Maybe I should give it another shot. I'm on my way to the family room, it's nice and cool to ride my recumbent bike.
 
@KarriB, yes turkey burgers have fewer calories and less fat that hamburger. I'm trying to eat better, especially since I'm less active.
 
Turkey burgers do have less fat than ground beef, which is why they are drier and personally, tasteless. I've never really liked them, but I do like turkey.
 
@KarriB Aren't you planning to have a TKR of your left knee? I can't remember everyone's history, so I always just ask rather than go back for an hour and re-read a thread. :heehee:
 
That's why I like to get the ones that are pre-seasoned. I've never been a fancy cook and mostly what I do fix is either on the grill or microwave! @lovetocookandsew, you don't like and don't eat much ice cream or chocolate! Are you a real person?:loll:
 
I never said I don't like chocolate, I said I don't eat it anymore.....:rotfl: I don't dislike ice cream either, but it's just not my thing. However, I will eat it in the hot summer, although I'd rather have a Starbuck's caramel frappuccino light! If I eat chocolate, I just want more, so I avoid it. It's almost as if they purposely add something to chocolate to make you just want more......... :heehee: But I am a real cook... and I like to make as much from scratch as I can. Everyone has their own talents and hobbies; cooking, sewing and gardening are mine.
 
I'm going to need a LTKR @lovetocookandsew , but I'm holding out as long as possible. With the infection I'm just a little more leery although I was petrified the first time. I'll have to have my ID involved now too, but at least with retirement I don't have to consider work or worry about my students while I'm gone.

Just to make ya'll salivate, I stopped at my favorite ice cream place today to pick up Key Lime Pie ice cream for my sister's birthday. While I'm usually a chocolate lover, key lime just seems perfectly cool for this 90+ degree day.
 
I just went to Starbuck's.....lol. Of course, my daughter calls just now to say she's coming over and do I want a coffee from Starbuck's......:loll:
 
@KarriB Rub it in! I walked past the ice cream aisle in the store twice and managed to hold out. The only problem is that I'm in a vacation area so there are more drive in ice cream places close to my house than there is anything else. It makes it too easy to get there.

I went to the chiropractor today and I got my full report and a look at all my Xrays they took. :bawl:
I have several problems going on at the same time. I have an area of scoliosis in my neck and lower back. There is also areas of arthritis and those dreaded bone spurs. There are areas also where my spine has compression over the discs. So my spinal cord is being compressed and also the nerves coming out from the spine to different areas of my body are being affected too. My left hip ( bionic side) is higher than my right hip. She does not feel my TKR has affected it in any way. I asked about the area on the outside of my bionic lower leg feeling like sunburn/tingling since my first TKR and she said it was possible that it was caused by my spinal anaesthesia from my first surgery since that was when it first started. She has also seen a lot of women who had epidurals with childbirth having some type of nerve involvement too. I had that three times with no side effects. So what is the plan I asked.:shrug:

She said I have a fairly complicated case due to how many different things I have going on. She does feel that I will respond to a short course of therapy with a review in four weeks. The arthritis and bone spurs of course won't be able to be fixed but it should keep me functioning for a longer period of time. :beg: I will try to go three times a week for four weeks and then she will do another review with a new set of Xrays. If I'm still having problems we will discuss my next course of action and how to pursue it further. :sigh:

I so very much wanted to buy ice cream, chocolate and everything else as comfort food. Instead I bought a lot of healthy food including fruits and vegetables. I did buy some low cal frozen dinners I like for days when I have work so I can pop them in the microwave and have a well balanced meal. I'm going to keep positive because hopefully next year I'll have a grandchild to keep up with. :SUNsmile:
 
Oh Marian, I am so sorry you have so much going on with your back and hip. I pray the therapy works for you. And you should be pride of yourself for buying good, healthy foods and staying away from the ice cream!
@lovetocookandsew, you have a lot more will power than I do. I totally understand about the chocolate! They must be putting something addictive into it, because I want more and more of it!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom