Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

How absolutely heartbreaking Marian. I will put your Dad & You, (and those giving the appearance of caring for him) on my immediate prayer list. It's so awful to see the love of money destroy a family. It seems the pure-hearted siblings get put out quickly and in your case your Dad is the one most effected. It absolutely breaks my heart for he AND you. I pray God's peace and love over You and your Dad Marian every time I think of or see you here on BoneSmart.
 
You are doing very well. I wish my scar looks as good as yours. Mine was sown internally and glued on the outside. I have a thread hanging a the top and at the bottom. I was told, it will eventually dissolve.

Keep up the good wok, especially on the bike. I am hoping to ride outdoors at the end of July. Standing on your feet for hours is a real tough one. It causes more swelling and lower back pain. You are not alone. Take Tylenol as needed.
Good luck over the weekend. Sorry, you have to work on Monday. I will be babysitting my 4 grandchildren ages 2 to 8 years. I hope I have enough stamina.
 
Thanks all for you very kind words and prayers. I worked 6 am until 4 pm today. I logged 8,000 steps today and stood for almost the entire day. My lower back was aching so much my hands were shaking. One of the patients noticed that as I was inserting two very large needles into his arm. ( Don't worry I did it quickly and in the right spots :heehee:.). It was very apparent when I was taping them down and starting the dialysis machine. It's happening because I'm bending over I can make some adjustments and I will try to use a stool when working with a patient. It's a little difficult because I have to keep going from the patient to machine to terminal and back again.

Monday I work 6 am to 4 pm with time and a half pay!!! We are also having a BBQ there to for the staff so it should be a nice day even though it will be a bit busy. My youngest daughter made some cookies for me to bring and I already got to sample one. :)

We are going to go out to see some fireworks tonight after dinner. I'll take my cane with me since all my muscles are tired now. I've been icing my knee for the last hour so it's feeling pretty good.:egypdance:
 
Time and half make the hours more bearable! At least you have some fun time scheduled for Monday, so it's not all bad! Have you thought about trying shoe inserts to help your back?
 
There are days that my back still hurts, Marian. As I said earlier the anesthesiologist said my lower back is full of arthritis which is why I couldn't have a spinal with the TKR, but a different one managed a spinal with my washout. It's an odd sort of pain and mine is worse in the morning and after sitting for too long. I need to get busy with core work to see if that helps. I figure I may be able to do some on the spare bed because getting up off the floor is totally unpleasant.
 
You amaze me with what you are doing. I know I couldn't. Do you take anything for pain control while working? I have a sore back too which is worse in the morning and after standing. I hope you have some rest this weekend. You deserve it.
 
@sistersinhim I have some sneakers I bought at a running store for work to correct the way my foot hit the floor. After my leg was straightened I was turning in. I'm going to try to go back there tomorrow and see what else they might suggest.

@KarriB My back seems to hurt the most when standing and walking. Bending over even for a couple of minutes just starts it to ache. I can't even sleep in my bed yet because for some reason it bothers me there and it's a new bed.

@Floridagal I have tried tramadol and Tylenol but one of my regular meds affects how well the tramadol works and the Tylenol just doesn't cut it. I took an oxy before I went out tonight since my daughter was driving. I just took another one to see if I can get some sleep in my wonderful recliner that I have been sleeping in for almost a year now.

Tomorrow we are just going to the running store, Target and TJ Max and out for lunch. Then she will be going home. I have work on Monday. I've been thinking of getting an appointment with a chiropractor that's in the same group practice as my OS. It's either that or an OS that specializes in the spine. I know I have degenerative disc disease in my back so I'm not sure which one I should see. Has anyone been to either one? Any suggestions?
 
I really hope you find an answer to the back pain, because 10 hour work days are KILLERS and that is not fun with an aching back. I hope you get a chance to relax and rest today before working tomorrow.
 
You got that knee fixed and now your back wants to hold you back. It just isn't fair! I pray that your back quits hurting and that you can enjoy your new knee.
 
Marian, what about having a PT look at your gait? So you think that could be causing the back issues?
 
@KarriB PT said my gait was good before they discharged me. In fact my last two or three sessions were a complete waste of my time traveling there as they didn't have me do very many exercises or stretches at all. I used the bike for ten minutes did two other exercises on my own and iced my knee. I could have Donne that at home.

I decided to go see my PCP this week and see if he can point me in the right direction of either a chiropractor or an OS who specializes in the back. I made my appointment on line last night and it's for Wednesday. I'll know more then.
 
15 weeks! Wow! My bionic knee is very happy. It likes to swell a bit to remind me to take care of it every night but otherwise it hasn't caused me any problems. I found myself coming down the stairs in my house foot over foot once last week! I can't remember the last time I was able to do that. I wanted to come down the steps a little quickly as one of my dogs let me know it was time for her to go out and I just did it! When I think about it I revert to baby steps but I know now I can do it. Of course I have a hand on the rail at all times just in case.

My back however is another story. I'm going to my PCP Wednesday to see if he can point me in the right direction. Now my neck is beginning to ache a bit too. I was able to give myself whiplash a number of years ago by falling like a cartoon character. I tripped and my entire body was launched into the air and I whipped my head back so I didn't face plant onto a concrete parking lot. Did I say I'm very talented!:heehee: I've been using the muscle relaxers I was given after my revision but it hasn't helped me very much at all. Still have a few oxy if I need to use them:yes!:

News about my daughter. She did complete all the injections she needed and they did the harvesting of her eggs and they were fertilized. She will find out this week how many start to grow. She will be able to freeze up to 10 embryos. So we will see how everything goes from this point out. She was fairly I'll from the treatments but she forged through. She even went rafting the next day. She's tough! Nothing seems to stop her not this and not the MS. I am so proud of her. I pray to my mom in heaven to keep her eye on her and to be with her through any of her tough times.
 
Your daughter is like her mom, a tough lady! And she sounds very positive even with all she's been through. I pray God takes away that MS completely. What a wonderful witness tool that would be!

I'm praying for your back, too. To have gone through what you have been through with your knee and now have this pop up just isn't right. Have you tried any rubs like Bengay or Tiger Balm? They also make patches that last for hours. Anything at this point is worth a try. Have a good night's sleep, my friend.
 
I'm sorry to hear that your back is bothering you so much. Your daughter sounds like a strong woman. I pray that she's able to become pregnant!
 
Well today I'm off so that's good and I'm off tomorrow and will go to my PCP about my back and now my neck ( which I had actually gave myself whiplash many years ago).

This afternoon I hit my knee against a table!! So you would think I would have been in major pain but....
NO! No big deal at all! This is the first time for over 40 years that I could be my usual clumsy self and not have instantly seem lightning bolts and feel faint from the pain of even a small bump. I guess this counts as another step towards total recovery.

So later today I'm walking up some steps like the big girl I am and my old knee decides it now wants some attention. Why now? Am I falling apart? :scratch: Let's see back, neck, right knee so what's next? While many people may start to feel depressed I think about all the parts of me that are functioning right. My ability to think, to love, to persevere and to help others are high on my list on what are important to me. Everything else is just a minor annoyance at best. :) I plan to keep living my life to its fullest and to enjoy every minute of it!
 
Marian, you are such an inspiration! It's really aggavating that as we get old, then there are always aches and pains. You have the right attitude. We should always look at the brighter side of things. There's always someone worse off than we are that can use our help, even if it's only prayer or encouragement. I pray you find an answer to your back and neck pains tomorrow.
 
Maybe a few days off will help your old knee as well as your back.
 
15 weeks went by quickly (or I've been too busy to notice)! I'm so sorry to hear about your family stress. There's a special place for those siblings and you have to hope that karma isn't too cruel when it all comes back around. May they come to their senses and open up a big can of "act-rite" soon. I "rescued" my mother last summer, 7 weeks after surgery. She's got some cognitive impairment so I understand some of the tough choices.
 
@hawk2go I wish I could rescue my dad but I can't even get any info from my siblings. They won't even answer my phone calls. I'm trying to just pray and do the best I can and help my oldest through her problems.

So I went to my PCP about back and neck pain. We spoke about how I should treat the pain. He brought up PT ( o no not that again!) , chiropractor or OS. I asked him what he suggested. He tells me it's my personal preference. I told him that I was paying him the big bucks to tell me. I decided upon chiropractor since he could recommend one in my area (only 15 miles away). I was able to see them this afternoon. They did several tests and took a few Xrays. I have several areas in my back where I have some significant arthritis. Is there such a thing as a spine replacement?:heehee: They treated me with heat and an adjustment.

I was given ways to help my back feel better by lying on the floor and putting my legs on a chair. (That's not going to happen as I would never be able to get up!). Or to put a pillow under my knees when in bed. I'm also supposed to use heat on my back. So heat on my back, ice on knee!

My PCP gave me a prescription for both mobic and flexeril. Both Drs told me to not do anything that aggravates my back. I guess that leaves out standing walking and sleeping then.:shrug: I was also told not to stand all of the time at work. :skep: I can't figure out how to do that yet because at least 90 percent of the time I'm walking and standing.:tiredwheel:

While there will be days I feel like this :elevate: I will keep on going :dancy:. The chiropractor definitely thought they could help me feel a bit better but of course it can't be cured. That will be enough for me. With a lot of prayers:prayer:maybe I will have a grandchild next year and I will be ready to run and play with them :egypdance:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom