Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Can you post a photo of your scar, Marian? That way, Josephine will be able to have a look and, hopefully, tell you if you need to be concerned, or not.
 
Marian, If it makes you feel any better, my scar was looking pretty good until I returned to work where it turned purplish blue color in spots after being on my feet all day. I don't remember how long it took but now it's uniformly white/pink and blends into my leg really well.
 
Use these few days to rest that leg, ride the bike when you have the energy. We are supposed to have gorgeous weather in PA, so enjoy!

I wonder if the scar color will change once you're not on your feet. Mine changed to a bluish/purple color while showering, it may have changed at other times but I usually had pants on and tried not to look.
 
Here is my scar. It's a bit redder than purple today. The skin is stinging a bit too. I've been putting some baby cream with aloe on it. @Josephine do I need to worry about this?

[Bonesmart.org] Totally recovered at last!
 
Marian I wish everyone well on this journey but my gosh I especially wish that for you after your long road. Hopefully this is a result of a tired leg with blood vessels showing through your incision how tired there and that a weekend of rest lets everything settle down.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
It does look strange. I'm interested in what Josephine has to say.
 
The only long 'pants' that I wear are scrubs for work which are very loose and soft sweatpants. So it's not like I have anything rubbing against it at all. I think I wore some jeans two weeks ago but a larger size so they didn't rub against it either. I do have one plus to it though. I've been wearing shorts lately and when walking in or out of places people are opening doors for me as they stare at my knee! :heehee:
 
Thanks Josephine. I guess it's like the old mood rings from years ago. Maybe the color change indicates I'm just overall tired from being back at work!
 
Whew- glad to hear that from Josephine! I think it looks beautiful Marian!
 
Good news Marian. I can see why you were concerned. You are just colorful now!
 
Maybe it's not as red because you've been off your feet today? Glad you don't have anything to worry about.
 
I've got three dimples in my scar and I don't care if they stay. I hope people will treat me with TLC when they see it. :)
 
I've been so tired the last two days. I have work tomorrow at 6 am until approximately 4 pm. My youngest is coming out tomorrow evening and we are going to go see some fireworks in an historic town not too far away. I'm off on Sunday but I have work on Monday, the 4th from 6am until 4 pm again. I get time and a half for that so I'm happy for the extra money.

I'm having some family problems with my siblings concerning the medical care for my dad who is getting more confused as time goes by. There are some flashes of his old self but it's hard to watch it slowly disappear. Physically he is more frail day by day. Unfortunately he lives 3 hours from me and it's hard to get down to see him and make that round trip in a day. A couple of siblings decided he should live there when he had another house he really wanted to stay in where I and my other sister could see him more often. This all was set in motion after we lost mom in October 2014. She was vibrant and enjoying life when a medical mistake led to her death. She went through a lot of pain and I stayed by her bedside for two weeks in a hospital. I went home for a day only when all her doctors cleared her for discharge. I had to go home for a day to check on my house and pay bills and go to work for a day so I wouldn't lose my job. On my way back to the hospital she passed away . One of my daughters had to call me and tell me. The doctors and nurses were crying when I got there.

Now one part of my family wants my dad to have radiation treatments for a type of skiing cancer. He has had this growth on the side of his face for many years which I had tried to have his doctor check. That doctor never did and the other part of my family will only do the opposite of what I say. At 91years old, already frail and losing weight, not enjoying life at all as he sits in a recliner and does nothing at all. No music, tv, going out anywhere or reading they have decided to treat him. They won't tell me what doctors he is seeing, the treatment plan nor listen to anything that comes from me. My dad will do anything they tell him. I know he's signed over the house lives in and all his financial affairs to them. I was a medical proxy but they have changed it. They won't answer my phone calls or return my calls. The other house dad had they told him lies that it was falling apart ( which it wasnt) and sold it and kept the money from it. The sister who is the main controlling person seems to have her own dementia problem because she is acting the same way as one of my aunts did and at about the same age.

I'm sorry I've gone on but I'm hoping for some prayers for my dad. I really don't want him to be in such pain at 91 years old especially when he doesn't quite understand what is going on. It is very hard for me especially because I'm a nurse and the only medical person in the family yet I am shut out of medical info. My dad can't even tell me where the doctor is.

While this doesn't seem to affect my recovery it has kept me awake at nights and just wiping me out during the days. Because of my fatigue I only can do a little bike riding on the trainer. A few minutes here and there. I seldom cook a meal or go grocery shopping because of the tiredness. Even if I could get the groceries it takes a couple of days to finally put them all away. My doctor reminds me a had two major surgeries in 8 months and it's been only three months since the revision. As far as my knee is concerned it still swells and feels a bit stiff it works very well and I seldom feel any pain to speak of. I can go up stairs normally and I went down the right way not even thinking about it the other day so I guess it will get better a little at a time. My knee looks like it bends about the same as the other one. The last management a month ago was 127, 3. I know I'm better than that now. I don't think my extension is 0 yet but I try to make sure I walk correctly. I average over 5,000 steps a day at work ( according to my cell phone) but that doesn't take into account how much standing I do.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this. I miss my mom because she would have been the one I could always talk to. I don't think anyone could ever take her place.
 
Oh Marian, I'm so sorry you're having this upset about your dad. It is so hard to see our parents lose their vitality for life. I pray that God takes your dad's care over and makes your family do what He wills them to do. If that happens, then your dad will have the best care. 91 years old is bound to be hard to start taking radiation treatments and will probably diminish his quality of life even more. Mama had alzheimer for years and I was her POA. The time came when I had to sign a DNR order for her and it just about killed me. But, we had discussed it and I knew what she wanted. If only you knew what your dad wants.
 
I am so so sorry for what you are enduring from your family. Of course it effects your recovery. Stress is the enemy of the body. All I can do is send a hug your way. My prayers are with you and your father.
 
Including your dad in my prayers. Hard to understand some people, that's for sure.
 
My heart aches for you reading this. Going through this recovery is one thing and coming on here and getting support or advice helps with that of course. But our recoveries are not linear, life is involved and this is such a hard thing you are dealing with. Praying for you and all you are dealing with.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your family problems with your Dad. It's sad to see a person you love slowly developing dementia and not to be able to do anything about his care. I can't offer any suggestions about how to deal with your sisters, but I will add your father to my prayers.

My own mother developed dementia. In her case, it was because of repeated TIAs (transient ischaemic attacks). Each one destroyed a few more brain cells, until eventually she didn't even recognise me. I was fortunate in have an enduring power of attorney for her, although I always consulted my brother as well. We were about to make the difficult decision, to move her from the rest home where she was happy, to one with hospital-level care. fortunately, she died peacefully in her sleep before we had to do that.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom