Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Wow, it sounds like you are doing well with going back to work...I work 10 hr days and not looking forward to the day I have to go back :(
 
Those hours would make a 'normal' person's back hurt. No wonder you're suffering. Too bad our nurses have to work such long, hard hours. You are way unappreciated.
 
Marian it so good to read about how well you are doing returning to work this go round. I hope your back starts to show some relief. I saw where KarriB suggested sit ups to help your core. I get on the floor everyday and work on my back since about 6 weeks because of the sciatic issue I had early on this recovery. I keep my workout mat right at my sofa. I sit on the edge of my sofa and with my good leg bent lower myself to the floor using my arm strength and leg strength of the good leg and to get back up scoot my bottom back close to the sofa and again using good leg and my arms raise myself back up to the sitting position on the sofa. Remember when you are doing core exercises on the floor to keep your back against the mat so you aren't straining your back more. Another good way to stretch the back is standing position, bend over put hands on your knees, make a flat back and just curl your back up (while still bent over) and then lower to flat back again.
Hope you are having a well deserved relaxing day today :-)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My knees are both complaining a bit today. The bionic one is stiff and a bit swollen. My right one just hurts but is not swollen. Thankfully my back feels fine this morning.:SUNsmile: My plan for today is to do some light cleaning around the house that I've neglected. Wash some laundry. ( just a few steps away on the main floor). I'll probably jump on my bike on the inside trainer just long enough to get some stiffness out. The rest of the day I think I'll follow my dogs schedule. Eat a little and sleep a lot!:heehee:
 
Good plan and really happy to hear your back feels better. I'm off to give my house some much needed lovin.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@newlybionic I'm so glad you are feeling better...don't over do it with the housework.

I'm sitting here checking out the posts on BS watching my hubby clean the house, is there anything sexier than that? I think not :)
 
Wow, I just read the beginning of your journey, Marian. I couldn't read all 70 pages! What a strong woman you are. I am in great admiration of your grit. I love the dog metaphor. My dog sleeps more than it eats.

@LFitz thank you for those directions on how to approach floor exercises for the back. Before my TKR I stretched out my back every day with a series of exercises that helped with the pain. Since my knee surgery I have neglected my bad back. I have been afraid to try to get to the floor. I'll try your method and see if I can safely do it.
 
@Florida@flo maybe you should wait until there is someone there with you, you don't want to get stuck sitting on the floor or hurting your knee trying to get up.
 
@uva55 I would probably be the one stuck on the floor. It sounds like something I would do.:loll: In my case I guess I would have to call the Police to get me up. Knowing me I would probably be laughing a lot. I tend to do that when I find myself in situations like that.

I do have a Roomba (robot vacuum cleaner). I have come home on occasion and somehow one of my girls( dogs) turned it on for me. I never figured out how they did it though. It's good for a light cleaning but it's time for the real thing. Maybe if I put out the big vacuum they will figure it out and do it for me. :heehee:
 
Hi Marian, just caught up on your thread. So happy to hear about your daughter, that's wonderful!!!

Sounds like you are doing terrific. Those long work days would knock anyone out. Having two surgeries in a year's time is very draining. My TKRS were 10months apart and I still don't have my energy back the way I'd like it. Guess we need to be patient with our bodies, they've been through alot. Seems like alot of us also get the lower back problems when we start feeling better. Maybe it's just that everything got weaker from all the recovery time. In my case I also gained 16 lbs, so I'm carrying that around with me too !

Hope things keep improving for you☺
 
I did try getting on the floor by my couch and was able to get up OK afterward. It made me feel good knowing that if I fell at home alone I could rescue myself. It took energy so I won't be doing it on a regular basis. :)
 
Week 14! That time went by both slowly and quickly at the same time!

I started work last week. Since we have a low patient count everyone's hours are cut. This works out well for me. I just wish I could work shorter shifts but they are still 10 hours each approximately. My back and both legs are still not totally happy about last week but my knee just swells a bit and very little twinges if anything at all.

I had been measured with 127 degree flexion a good number of weeks ago and I'm past that now. It looks like both my knees are about even now. I can go up stairs easily but I still have my hand on the banister just in case. I'm still having problems going down but I think it's more psychological than physical since I haven't been able to do that for many years. I have a few steps in my home where I can hold onto rails with both hands so I slowly navigate them with no problems. I don't think my extension has made it to 0 yet but my knee hasn't been able to straighten all the way for as long as I can remember. I concentrate each step (with both legs) to hit the floor with heel first and roll off my toes. I have no limp at all. I no longer am taking pain meds ( I have some left just in case) except an occasional Tylenol.

I'm a bit worry though because my old knee is starting to bother me more and more. It's started to swell and sometimes it get stuck in one position for a second or two. My OS told me I have moderate arthritis there and I know from a MRI taken in November there was a bit of torn cartilage there too. I have had cortisone and Synvisc injections in that knee in the past by several other OS and a cortisone shot with my current OS back in December. If it continues to bother me I'm going to have to go have my OS see what he can do to help me. I'm certainly NOT ready for knee #3 right now. I know what it's right to have a good outcome and a negative one.
 
Whew.. I feel for you Marian. Let's just hope that things with that knee will improve. It's definitely your turn to feel better and enjoy life for awhile!
 
Week 14 and working ten hours! I don't think I could handle that with even two good knees. Congratulations on your wonderful progress. I hope that old knee behaves itself.
 
It's great that you're back to work and not having too much trouble there. I had the backache too, after both TKRs. In fact I was in agony with spasms the first week each time. Curl up on your side at home, if you're able. As time goes by you'll feel better and better. Just keeping up with your work schedule is probably enough exercise for now, but water aerobics is a wonderful idea when you're ready.
 
Wow...you are doing amazing with your new knee, I hope your other knee starts to feel better soon!!
 
Having another TKR looming over our heads for the future is depressing. Just maybe things will get much better and we won't have to have it replaced. Even if we do, we know what to expect. It's not fun, but doable!
 
I had the day off today and spent it at the dentist getting a crown put in. He makes it while you wait. O so much fun!:loll:
 
What a terrible way to spend your day off! I hope you were able to at least prop up your leg and ice while you were waiting.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom