Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Today was my first day back at work. It will be three months tomorrow since I had my revision. I was able to take it a little easy today. I worked 10am until 8:15 pm. There was a big difference at work compared to how I felt before the revision. My knee did swell up but I expected that to happen. I had no real pain at all. There was a little stiffness when I stood still for a couple of minutes or sat for a few. I concentrated on hitting with my heel first when walking and it was coming fairly nuturally. It was nice seeing my coworkers and patients again. So now I'm home with my ice machine running. I'm off tomorrow so I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning. I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight!
 
I hope there are no major repercussions from your first day of work, Marian. It's great you were able to schedule a day off after you're first day back.
 
I'm glad your first day back at work went so well, Marian.
What a different story from last time. This revision had been so worth-while.
 
I pray your day experiences no ill effects from your first day back to work yesterday!
 
I had a couple of things I had to do today. One was stopping by a local( 15 miles away) gym. They have a pool there with water aerobics types classes. I was so out of shape I was winded just taking the stairs to the lower level. I'm not sure what I should do. I can't believe how totally exhausted I feel now. I'm fighting my eyes from closing

Can anyone suggest how I should start to get back in shape? I have my bike but because my stamina is so poor I can't pedal for very long before either I get out of breath or I start to feel I'm having pain. So help me if you can.. Thanks
 
I know it's discouraging to want to 'get going' Marian only to have our bodies, (and in my case mind), slow us down. What I'm telling myself daily is, 'this too shall pass'. I've also up'd my protein quite a bit and it seems to help, some.

For me personally, the downside of recovery resting so much day after day, I feel depleted of energy. I just know I'll get it back- no matter what it takes.

Praying for you and hoping others will come along that know more than I do about how to regain the stamina we once had~
 
Hi Marian, I've read your thread from the beginning on and off over several days. Bless you, there was so much you had during this tkr and revision. I'm so happy you didn't settle for that first recovery as that was just how your knee was going to be but instead found a doctor to do the revision and with such success. I couldn't have been more happy to read about your first day back yesterday. Maybe a little r&r today is a good thing. Not sure how to build stamina because I'm not there yet but I'm looking forward to seeing what others suggest. I hope you had a good nights sleep last night.:flwrysmile:
 
Marian, I think (MHO) you should just get your body used to your work schedule. That's going to tire you out right now without added exercise. Try just riding your bike and go a little longer every day, but honestly, just going back to work is all you should do for now. In a month or so look at how you're feeling and rethink getting in shape.
 
I agree with Karri.

You will still be suffering from some of the effects of the energy drain, especially after two surgeries in the space of a few months.
For now, just working is enough. As you get stronger and you begin to find that your work shifts aren't so tiring, then think about increasing your exercise. Starting something at the gym now would probably be overload for your body.
 
I worked from 6am to 2:30 pm today then drove about 40 miles to pick up so new glasses I had ordered and then the 25 miles back home. Did I say I live in a rural area?:heehee:

I'm doing okay at work. Forgetting somethings and remembering others. I figured I had just about mastered everything at my new job and then I was out for three months and pumped with a lot of pain meds too during that time. I am actually surprised that I've remembered so much. Since this was a new area of nursing for me (dialysis) I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how much I remembered after a three month leave for my revision. It is a very technical area.

I've found that my knee isn't causing me many problems. I've felt a twinge today but I forgot to take any Tylenol. It swells a bit but once I ice it when I'm home it really very good. I can walk up steps, ramps and inclines with no problem at all. I still have a problem going down stairs but it's mostly mentally a problem. I wasn't able to walk down steps like a 'big girl' for many years. The knee works fine but I'm just afraid of failing. I'll get there.

The only problem I'm having is in my lower back. It starts to ache after I've been standing for a little while. It's in the center so I don't think it's related to my gait at all. I concentrate on each step I take and no one thinks I have a limp at all. I know I was told I have moderate degenerative disc disease but it hasn't caused me many problems until now. Anyone have any ideas what I should do about it? Is it my core muscles that have lost tone by all my down time from two TKR surgeries eight months apart? I am also just exhausted.

Another early day tomorrow. In at 6 am and hopefully I will get out by 4 but it could be as late as 9. :yikes:
 
Gosh you sure do have a long day with work and the commute but congrats on having such success on your second day :-) I think your back issue could definitely be related to your weakened core. One thing that my pt did make me aware of is having your core engaged when you are walking as well. Hope your back feels better soon.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Marian, I had back pain and sometimes still do. I thought it was due to my back being full of arthritis (this from the anesthesiologist) but I believe a weakened core is partially to blame. I've always done sit ups in the past (50 a day) but because of the difficulty of getting up off the floor I don't do them as much. I keep watching that video of the the man getting off the floor, but just can't seem to do it.
 
@KarriB I haven't dared to even attempt it! I really have to figure out a way to do it since I'm living alone and sometimes I may need to be able to for whatever reason. I'll wait a little while longer and try it when I have one of my girls here.

Longest day of work today. I was there from 6 am until 5:30 pm. I would say at least 85% of it on my feet. My back is really bothering a lot today. My knee swelled quite a bit today but no real pain. My other knee is complaining now too. I'll grab an ice pack for that one it he next time I get up. I know there is a tear in the meniscus and some bone on bone there too. I've already have had all types of shots in that one without much success.

So now I've taken a muscle relaxer for my back. I'm almost due for more Tylenol. I'm trying to decide whether to take some tramadol or an oxy to help. I'm off for a few days so I can get some rest. The only problem I have right now is that I'm really hungry. I asked my little friends here (3 dogs) to make me some dinner but they decided to take a nap on top of me instead. After all they all just had their dinner.:heehee:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
It's funny how our little critters get fed before we do! By the time I feed mine, I'm ready for a rest time, not food!
 
Ugh, I'm guessing ther was no where to stop and pick anything up because you live so far out. A can of soup, a frozen pizza, mac n cheese?
 
Marian, it's so good to hear that your return to work is easier than it was last time.
Those long shifts are so hard. It's no wonder you aren't aching all over.

I hope that your back settles down soon. I'm inclined to think that it is protesting at the extra work, after such a long time resting.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom