Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Those are good ideas.
Do remember that it's easy to overdo it without realising it when you're in the water, because the water is bearing much of your weight.
 
I think you probably worked on your stamina with your pool work already. Increasing it slowly would help, but what about some things that just involve your arms? That might increase stamina and not cause swelling in your leg. After my infection surgery I was totally whiped out and hospital OT asked what I wanted to work on, my reply was "stamina". Of course at that point I didn't realize how long it would take to regain stamina. So they put me on an arm bike! It did tire me out and I realize you wouldn't have access to one, but you could use hand weights and lift those while you're sitting. If you built up a bit at a time you could have a nice set of guns when you go back to work. :)
 
Hi Marion, I totally understand. I too am the heaviest I have ever been but the idea of tackling weight loss right now is overwhelming.. but so many years of being sedentary has taken it's toll. The days I do my PT in the pool it feels amazing but that is it for me for the rest of the day. Slowly but surely my stamina is increasing. Please don't overdo, try to take it slow and a month will make a huge difference. Remember the aggressive PT does more damage than good and I think it will be the same if you try doing too much. I thought the pool PT felt great but didn't think it was making a difference. I was so wrong!! That stupid aching at night has stopped (hooray) and my husband took me for a walk last night and we only went down the street about 6 houses. Pitiful but it is something I couldn't do last week and was careful not to overdo.
I think you are doing great but you are coming back from quite an ordeal. I pray that this next month will make a huge difference for you!
You are a strong woman and I know how hard those long shifts are, but remember you were doing those shifts while you were in a lot of pain. I so admire your strength.
 
i don't see the stiffness and swelling as pain because
It doesn't matter if you don't see it as pain but the simple fact is that it is a manifestation of pain.
I've taken Tylenol for several days and that did nothing to help with the swelling and stiffness.
So how much did you take and how often?
 
@Josephine I took 4000mg spread through 4 doses a day for a couple of days. My OS told me that I could have swelling a bit longer than a First time TKR. They suggested a compression sleeve which I'm going to ask the physical therapist about tomorrow for what I should be looking for.

I'm going to take today 50mg of tramadol with Tylenol and see how I do. I also have decided to take it easy today and just clean up my house for 15 minutes at a time and elevate my leg the rest of the time.
 
They suggested a compression sleeve which I'm going to ask the physical therapist about tomorrow for what I should be looking for.
You know, I know people who have taken 50mg Tramadol (and Tylenol) 2-3 times a day for ages and they work full time and they drive!
I'm going to take today 50mg of Tramadol with Tylenol and see how I do
Jolly good. But 1,000mg Tylenol, yes?
 
Increase your activity slowly. It's one of those quandries of tkr recovery. It's good for you to not just lie around when you get a couple months out but it is easy to overdo--both b/c of the knee not being quite ready and that our energy levels just aren't there yet and you still need some rest.
I'd only "exercise" a couple of days a week and take days off in between to see how it felt. And it was limited at that.
 
I went to the gym today and met with a trainer to get a program for working with my upper body strength. We aren't going to do any lower body exercises until my knee is ready for it. I then had PT where I had an evaluation to see how I'm doing so far and if I should continue. First I did my regular exercises. I felt a little twinge in my hip and IT band so the therapist massaged it with a 'rolling pin'. There's definitely a very sore spot right at my hip. :yikes: I don't need anything wrong there. I'm hoping I'll be okay as I am a bit stronger it won't be a problem. ROM is an astounding 120 to +3! I was 95 and 5 preop so I'm totally delighted. My quads in both legs are a little tight and weak. I had no pain flexing my knee. It just wouldn't go any farther. Is there a limit to how far it will bend? After my original TKR I would get a extremely sharp pain half way between straight and 90 and then I could bend it a little more. So it's totally different. PT this time is also very different. They also checked my gait out and it's 50% less in length from leg to leg so I guess we will try to work on that. The big difference this time in PT is that I do NO steps, squats, marching and am not manhandled brutally by a therapist at anytime. I'm going to go to PT twice a week and go in the pool and do a little exercising and swimming on my own and throw in the upper body exercises when I can. I think that will be the best way for me to slowly build up my stamina and start dropping a few pounds. ( I would like to get rid of at least 50).

I saw my psychiatrist yesterday and she was concerned with my inability to get enough sleep. She prescribed a sleeping medication which helped me have my first good night of sleep in over ten months. I woke up feeling very rested.

I know I write long posts but it's my journal that might be helpful to others and also to me if I get a third TKR. :heehee: My youngest asked me a few weeks ago if my OS told me to get my other knee done would I do it and I immediately answered yes. Such a very different answer than I gave after the first time. I think I'm going to make it through this recovery stronger and happier than I've been in years without this left knee causing any more problems.. It's been complaining for over 40 years!
 
I am having pain in my left hip (TKR side). It does not extend down my leg nor is there any pain in my knee. At PT yesterday he used a roller that did not bother me anywhere else but tight at the hip. He said it could be bursitis. I haven't been doing any crazy exercising and I've been dutifully taking tramadol 50 mg and Tylenol every six hours. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I don't have an appt with my OS until a few days before I go back to work. @Josephine Once again may I ask your opinion?
 
That does sound like Trochanteric bursitis to me, Marian.

I had it severely about a couple of years ago (or maybe longer!) along with a bout of Piriformis syndrome (murder!) and I got a cortisone injection for it which worked wonderfully. However these last few months it's come back again and is affecting the left hip as well as the right. I had another cortisone injection in the right hip a few weeks ago which quietened it down but it's flaring up again. I can feel it even as I'm sitting here typing and when I'm in bed, laying on that side, it really hurts! Must go back and see my quack again. However, I shall be getting cortisone shots in both shoulders in 3 weeks time so it will have to wait a few months more! And you never know, I might be lucky and the shots in my shoulders will reach my hips! Yippee!
 
@Josephine Ill pray that you do have a direct connection from your shoulders to your hips. I'm also dealing with the same problems with my lower leg. I've been doing some massage and it helps a bit. Of course my other knee is demanding some attention now but I refuse to acknowledge it right now. One side at a time!
 
Hi Marion: just dropped in to say "hello" as you've been one of my consistent "travelers" along this recovery journey.
Interested in what you had tri say about getting into the water with your knee- I still haven'because I've had plenty of physical exercise just helping out around the house; besides, weather here in Johnstown hasn't exactly been condusive for swimming (and YES, I know it's an INDOOR pool here but the outside doors are left open). :snork: I'm a wuss...

I work with weights at night, in front of the telly. Also go to the gym for upper body work-still on the Tramadol, like you.
Stamina is also an issue for me...up all day psychologically but not physically.
Hang in there, when do you go back to work?
Newbie tkr
 
I, too have had pain in my hip. With the crazy way I walk, no wonder! Anyway, I went online and found some exercises that have helped me. You might try that.
 
@sistersinhim I will look for those exercises. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Newbie tkr I loved the 95 degree water. It helped my quads and calf muscles relax. Unfortunately I had a PT veal and they stopped the pool therapy. :boohoo: I joined the gym for a reduced price for a month so I can go anytime but that darn energy drain has hit me so much in the last few days I've just been sleeping and watching tv for the last two days. I did get a routine to do upper body exercises. I have PT Monday so I'm thinking I will try to at least jump in the pool afterwards.

I go back to work on June 19th. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. They gave me three months off but I'm worried being able to handle being on my feet all day. I was invited to go out to dinner with everyone on Thursday by my boss. I hope I stay awake during the meal! :yawn:
 
Hi Marian, glad to read that you are doing well! I had a lot of hip and lower back pain for awhile, however it resolved as my leg strength improved. Hopefully this will also be your experience.

Sometimes it is still hard to drag myself to the gym. My gym has a wonderfully inviting-looking pool, but I need a new swimsuit!
 
Hi Marian, sounds like you are doing well, so happy to hear it. I've had lower back pain on and off since the last tkr in December. Recently that got better and my neck and shoulders started acting up. Seeing a chiropractor for that now. I think all the lopsided walking for so long just throws everything else in our bodies out of whack. I'm sure that as our legs heal and we are walking correctly alot of these other issues will go away.
 
Marion: posted you in my thread...I need the 95 degree water too. But our YMCA has a water temp of about 85 degrees...sounds warm, but not quite warm enough for me. Still, I'll take the water when I can get it.
Have been sleeping with my kitties for the better part of yesterday and today. Can't take this northeastern weather anymore. Even though it's my home here.
Are you phasing back into work? You're not going to go back full-time right away are you? Well, you still have another month before you go back. Enjoy.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Totally recovered at last!
    0412161430a-2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 202
@Newbie tkr I love your little friends. My three dogs are just terrors at time and one of them has to grab any piece of a Kleenex or napkin I drop and run off and shred it all over the house! This weather is really awful. I don't feel like doing much of anything. Unfortunately I have to go back full time to work. My nursing shifts can't be broken in half or shorten at all and if I don't go back at full time status I lose my benefits. I talked to my boss about not scheduling me two days in a row but I'm not sure if that will be possible. I really wish I could just retire sometimes but then I'd have nothing to do. That might not be too bad if my knee works and I'm not tired all the time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom