Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

I can't help but feel you'll be just fine by the time you go back. I just know this Marion.
Truth be told, I've been unable to find work in the two years I've been here in Johnstown-countless resumes, few interviews, have pretty much given up finding anything. There is no work here. Period.
So, with five joint replacements behind me, the PTSD flaring up and one year to go until early retirement now that I'm almost 61 years old (have worked since I was 17 years old) I've gone ahead and applied for disability. I would still want to work part-time and I think on disability you can earn up to $800 a month over and above your disability pay. Besides, don't really want to retire early...would much rather work at something where I can give back to the community. I don't think I'm capable of working an 8 or 9 hour day anymore.
But you Marion, are probably making pretty good $$ as a nurse and you don't have far to go either until retirement.
Diana :martini:
 
Hi Marian, I can't complain about the weather here, it is below average at 90*. Kind of happy that I gave up my New England weather:) I also have bursitis in my hips. My doctor showed me some stretches that really help. I don't like getting the injections but will when I have to. You have had great luck with your boss, hopefully that will continue with your schedule.
 
9 weeks post op today. I'm hurting right now. Had a PT session where they decided today was the day that i should have zero extension. They used advice that put pressure on my leg above and below my knee. Of course I still have to keep fighting myself about the no pain no gain. I was uncomfortable and when I had enough I guess I used my telepathic powers and the PT removed it. I then decided to walk in a large shopping mall and then drove the 45 minutes went to the post office and bought gas. By the time I got home I could barely walk in from my car. I was gone for over 5 hours total. I'm getting my ice machine ready for the night. I've also have my meds lined up and I'll be taking them soon. I can't seem to find a good medium. I either do nothing or I do everything. :hissy:
 
BTW all my medical bills have come in and I think I've set a new worlds record. The total is just under

$180,000!'!!!:thud:
 
You overdid and wore yourself out, but that's still a good report! I wonder what was the device for extension- some kind of a brace? I have found a way to comfortably "stretch" in a couple of the weight machines at my gym- as long as no one's lined up to use them. Stretches that would have hurt at 9 weeks feel wonderful now.

Congrats on doing so well at 9 weeks. You have so much energy!
 
My word @newlybionic! Please tell me you have excellent insurance!

I'm falling into a similar pattern. I do too much one day and pay for it the next three. Yesterday I did a long grocery trip restocking the fridge and pantry after the past few months. Got home and could hardly get all the bags in the house. My husband was gone for the afternoon.

I managed to get things into the freezer but everything else is still not put away because the knee was angry today.

I'm so lucky my husband is a patient man. Imagine spending $250 on food and then being too tired and in too much pain to put a meal together! Yesterday and today!

Someday we will take our own advice and not try to do it all in one day!
 
Marian, you did way too much in one day. Now, take care of yourself the next few days and do as little as possible. I can't imagine you going back to work your full time days right off the bat. You nurses are such special people. Few know what all you have to go through to take care of us. Thank you for your wonderful, caring gift! Now, be a gift to yourself and rest and enjoy that ice!
 
@GimpyGal When I go to the floor some of the food doesn't even make it out of my car. My garage is in part of the house but it's just too much some days to walk those streets 20 steps back and forth. Just what needs to be put in the fridge or freezer makes it.

@sistersinhim I had an appointment this morning and then I went to visit one of our bonesmart friends. I brought her some real food and visited for a few hours. All in all I was gone 9 hours today. I know not a good idea but I just don't feel like sitting around all the time. I'll go like this for a few days and then I'll do nothing at all for a few days.

Tomorrow I'm getting my hair done. The gray is coming in and it's growing wild. Thursday I have PT and then I'll float in the pool and then get ready to go out to dinner with my boss and co-workers. The company is buying so I can't turn that down!

I as fortunate and picked the best insurance I could get and it will cost me nothing out of pocket. Imagine the poor person who could lose their insurance if Obamacare is repealed. They would never be able to have the knee fixed.
 
Wow! I'm so glad to be able to get back on and see that you're having a much better recovery. It's still recovery and you still have to pay attention to your knee and it's many, many, many whims on any given day. But given the stuff you've been able to manage - whoa, worlds different!

Now, be very quiet, close your eyes and visualize the day when you drive down to Philly and we take a walk around the famous Art Museum or the new Constitution Center. I can hardly wait.
 
Hi Newlybionic, I was just thinking about you and decided to write. As the rest of us "July Sparklers" approach our year anniversary (okay still a few weeks out), you can be thankful that you did not have to wait the full year before receiving your revision. It sounds like you are doing fantastic! I'm so glad this recovery is going so well and by July 13 you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of where you would have been had you had to wait the full year. I guess you can "thank" your first OS for that—he flubbed up so bad that you were fast tracked into the revision. I know that's not much consolation but I am so glad you are well into revision recovery now.
 
@hawk2go That sounds great. My youngest works in Philly and she's moving there in July.

@Wanttobebiking I'm very happy that I had the revision. I was in less pain 1 week post op then I was for the 8 months after the original TKR. I'm thinking of getting a bike but I'm a little wary because I like on a dirt/gravel road. Is there any type of bike that would be good on something like that? Bikes are so specialized since I was a kid!

I missed my PT session today. I was driving on the PA turnpike at the speed limit of 70mph and the car in front of me ran over a piece of broken truck tire and it landed right in front of me. I couldn't do anything but run it over.
There was another car on the side of the road too. It ripped off the plastic under my car. The wrecker thought that was all that was wrong. I went to my dealership and there's over $2,000 of damage under the car. I'm just happy I wasn't hurt. I can still drive my car but if I notice anything leaking I've got to have it towed to the dealership. I guess it's about time to go back to work to pay my $500 deductible:bored:

I did manage to make it to a dinner sponsored by my boss and the company. I had a good time. It was nice to be out and talking to people again other than doctors and physical therapists. I start back on June 18th. I talked about trying to make things a little easier on me physically. I suggested a couple of ideas and they thought it was definitely doable. I'll be able to sit for 10 minutes or so and then be on my feet for 20. I'm hoping that will work out well.
 
Hi Marian, you might try the kinesiology tape for your hip pain. I had bursitis in my hip. I had physical therapy for it, which helped for awhile, also a couple of cortisone shots. When it flared up the last time, after my tkr, I used the tape, and it worked! You can buy it at Walmart. It has directions for how to use it.










Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi there and WELCOME. This is a GREAT place when you've had this type of surgery. My first RTKR caused some problems .... I fell on my knees and apparently did something to it ... loosened it or something. I had the revision done and my knee is absolutely wonderful ..... one exception I mentioned in my other post is that my balance is a problem, but I'm going to go to P.T. for that. Also I wear a pretty heavy brace when I have to stand.
I'm wondering why you're going back to work so soon since you stand 10 hours a day. Did your doctor give you the OK for that? It sounds like way too long to stand at this point. That knee is bound to get pretty tired. I know when I overdo walking or standing, the next day "it" tells me about it for about 30 min., then it settles down. Just be sure you can do this and not hurt yourself.
Take care,
Barb (abby) :dogsniff: :beg::angel:
 
@amberpep I have to go back to work. I support myself and I will have had three months off when I go back. I can't get any more time off and I don't want to lose my job so it is what it is.
 
I have a Bianchi road bike. I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to mount and dismount after my surgery that I considered spending $500 on a Bianchi step-through bike, but thankfully my husband and the nice young man at my local bike shop talked me out of it. My old road bike fits me and I am used to it. I rented a bike in Florida and nearly fell off getting off the bike because I wasn't used to it. The most important thing would be to get the type of bike you are used to. A local bike shop could give good afvice. There are also two biking threads on Bonesmart that might be helpful: pics of our bikes and cycling club for us. Biking is one of the best exercizes for your knees. I posted a pic of my bike on the pics of our bike thread. I plan to put in at least 30 miles this weekend! I am really looking forward to it. I love my bike and biking. So glad you are doing so well. Your new surgeon is a savior! Thank heaven for good surgeons.

@Clipless might be able to answer your question better than me because she has a mountain bike I believe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
'll be able to sit for 10 minutes or so and then be on my feet for 20. I'm hoping that will work out well.

I did something similar to that when I returned to work at 10 weeks. I would be on my feet for an hour or two and then sit for 10 minutes and then repeat. It helped get me through those first few weeks of work.
 
Sorry to hear about that incident with your car, that must've been so frightening. Thank goodness you're ok. Cars can be fixed and bills get paid eventually, as long as you didn't get hurt.
 
9 weeks post op today. I'm hurting right now. Had a PT session where they decided today was the day that i should have zero extension. They used advice that put pressure on my leg above and below my knee. Of course I still have to keep fighting myself about the no pain no gain.
Hi Marian,
I know you posed this a little while ago and you've realised you shouldn't have allowed it, but I want to revisit it, for one reason. I think you fell for it because you are a bit worried about your knee being fit enough to go back to work.

Try to remember, though, that your knee is following its own agenda for this recovery, not your agenda and not the PTs' agenda. There's no need to reach targets by a certain date because, as you know by now, ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR. Extension does often take longer to achieve than flexion, too, and so there's no need to have it perfect right now.

You're doing so well this time around. Try not to make it harder for yourself. Hugs! :friends:
 
Got it Celle. I know you're right. It was a blessing actually missing PT yesterday but I was also hoping to take a swim ( more like a float).

So I found out something that totally came as a shock today. The old saying that once you can ride a bike you'll never forget seems to not be quite true for me!:heehee: I decided I would go to a bike store to get a bike I can use in my development where the roads are a mixture of gravel and tar with potholes here and there. The gentleman picked one out for me to try. :bicycle2: He told me to take it for a ride on the city sidewalk around the block. First it was a men's model but I could get my leg over ok. I had a couple of false starts and I looked like a little kid who just had their training wheels taken off. My knee could handle it just fine but my arms and core were very shaky. I decided I would take the plunge and order the women's model. I also ordered a stand so I can ride in my house for exercise. Hopefully I'll be :bicycle1: in a few weeks. My first order of business is to get a helmet and then wrap myself in bubble wrap.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom