Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Thanks all. It's almost 10pm local time here and the PA from the OS responded to an email I sent at 5pm. I thought everyone would like to hear what she said to me. 'If it hurts, don't do it'. I'm definitely going to tell them about this forum and get there take. I know my OS does a lot of lecturing to other OS in the US.
 
Love it!! That is my OS's mantra too. I am especially grateful that my OS was big on pain control, he stressed to me to take my pain meds around the clock and the nurses in the hospital knew that is what he wanted too. Night shift was on it every 3 hours.
So thankful you have an excellent OS now. Like it that you got an answer within hours.
 
I love it, too! Some of us are very lucky. I asked mine what my limitations were two weeks after surgery and he said, 'If you feel up to something, try it, and if you hurt more the next day, don't do it again!' Also, "I don't think you need a lot of PT, but if you decide you do, then call me and I'll order it."

Maybe the tide is turning in a good way?

I'm happy for you, Marian!
 
Hi Marian, So happy to hear that your recovery is going so well. I had my two TKRs within 10 months and it really sapped my energy too. Be careful with your back if it's not strong. I overdid it last week & ended up in bed for 2 days , doc thinks I pulled a muscle. Now ice packs are on the back instead of the knee, always something !!!

Isn't it great not to have that horrible bone on bone pain? Now we can look forward to doing o much more in our lives. Just walking around in a store isn't such painful experience anymore, yeah !!!

Hope your daughter is doing well too. Do you get to see her often? Hope you have a lovely Mother's Day !!!
 
Marian: good to know you're doing so much better...you've had a long road to recovery.

Wish my OS was as progressive as some of the others talked about here...he had zero understanding of my sensitivity to pain, wanted me off pain meds three-weeks post-op and wrote me a pt script for "aggressive" therapy.
He's a decent surgeon And he's done my thr and now my tkr but, God willing after this, no more surgeries and I would not go back to him again.
 
@Newbie tkr If you ever need the second knee done you're welcome to come over to my side of PA and talk to my OS and his PA. The first OS I had was not only incompetent he believed like most OS that you have to do aggressive PT. After my first surgery and the horrible time I had afterwards I swore I would never do it again. My daughter asked me the other day if my OS said I needed the other one done would I go ahead with it. I answered yes without even having any second thoughts.

@karol723 My daughter is an amazing person. She just keeps smiling and pushing on with doctor visits and working. Her husband is such a wonderful man too. I'll see them both this Saturday and then I'll see my other two daughters and my son-in-law unless he goes to his mom's house for the day. So I have a Mother's Day weekend.
 
@Josephine I have a question that I will ask my OS next time I see him but I want your input please. Since I had my original surgery I've had a burning tingling feeling on both sides of my shin. The OS who did the revision told me the revision wouldn't take that problem away but at the time that was the least of my problems. Needless to say I still have it and it's very annoying. It's there 24/7. It is not changed by doing anything I can think of. The PT say its not muscular or tendinitis. Do you have any idea? Or does anyone else?
 
@Josephine After taking 10 minutes to try to map my left leg to the right leg in the pictures ( I must be getting old) I think that could possibly be it. My insurance does not pay for chiropractic car to help with that problem or any massages. It only pays for spinal manipulations. Where do I go from here?
 
There are some remedies shown in the article. But I do my own now. It hurts but it's the kind of hurt that's nice when you stop!

I use Acupressure massage and use my knuckles to rub up and down the sides of my lower legs and anywhere where I can find a trigger point.

However, it could be said it's a follow on from a spinal adjustment. My chiro does me all over - back, shoulders, neck, legs and lower limbs. He wouldn't differentiate. It's all an adjustment.
 
@Josephine I tried the technique mentioned and it actually does make it feel a little bit better. PT said shin splints would only occur on the inside of the leg so I reminded him it could also be on the outside! He had to agree. ( you made me look very intelligent :snork:).

My question today is concerning an internal stitch. I have one spot on the top of the incision where it is painful and I can feel a small lump under the skin. Can that be a stitch that hasn't dissolved? There's no redness or discharge or any other signs of possible infection.

I will be going to therapy in the pool as part of a therapy class starting next week. I'll be doing one day in the pool and one day regular PT. The therapist in PT today came very close to me telling him to stop. He wanted to try to stretch my leg to try to gain extension and used a little pressure on my leg and just as I was going to tell him to stop, he did. I did not nor would I ever allow someone to hurt me again as I had been hurt after my first surgery. I'm trying to forget that 8 months of my life.
 
It could very likely be a suture knot. Just leave it alone to sort itself out. It will eventually.

And I am very glad you are being assertive about PT. It's quite obvious he sensed your body language and sussed that you weren't going to have it! Good for you!
 
Hey bionic: I caught your invite regarding heading over to your part of town if I ever needed a second knee done; think I'll just amputate it instead :eyebrows:

No, seriously, will definitely contact you if and when this happens...could you send me a pm with your name and email address OR, I'll send you mine via same route.

Trigger point therapy is saving my calf muscles right now (significant nerve disruption by the end of each day) and also starting to do downward dogs to get some stretch back.
Happy mom's day dear! :flwrysmile:
 
I'm a few days short of seven weeks out. I have been doing everything inside the house that I need to do. I can do a couple of steps foot over foot but have to revert to little girl stepping for at least half the stairs. Stairs are going to take me a while to master since I haven't been able to do them for years now. I find my lower back starts to feel a little weak and achy the longer I'm walking around. My knee still swells up as soon as I put my leg down so I try to make sure that I have my ice wrap or my ice machine going whenever I'm sitting. I have half my family coming to my house today and tomorrow it's off to another daughter's house for dinner.

PT this week will consist of one day in the pool for a therapy group and one day with regular PT. I think this will work out well for me. My quads still seem to cramp periodically so I'm thinking that the warm water may help to stretch them out a bit. The gym there is quite extensive and includes a padded track for walking or running. I might get a membership for a month and begin to work on walking a little further every day since it's difficult to walk by me on dirt and gravel roads.
 
Hope you have a Happy Mother's Day!! I think you will like the pool therapy. I love it and am going to join the pool for water aerobics twice a week after I finish PT.
My right knee still swells after 6 months but left knee doesn't and it has been almost 6 weeks. Every knee is different!
I am feeling pretty good but tend to overdo because my mindset is that I am 6 months post op instead of 6 weeks! Quite surprised at my quick recovery from the 2nd surgery.
I think the walking on the soft track at your gym is an excellent idea. Got to be careful when walking on uneven surfaces.
 
@Glamg1979 Im glad to hear you're doing so well. I hope you had a good Mother's Day. Did you get to hold the new grandson yet?
 
It's 7 weeks and 1 day today. ( almost 10 months from the original surgery). I can walk without a cane but I bring one just in case when doing a lot of walking or walking on uneven ground. My knee still swells as soon as I put my leg down. The majority of the time I have no pain at all. I try to ice and elevate several times a day and also overnight. I have stiffness in the first couple of steps I take but then it loosens up.

I had my first water therapy class today. I'm doing once a day in the pool and once a day on land. The exercises were much easier and it helps my right knee to have a break. That knee has torn cartilage and what the OS called moderate arthritis. The pool water was 95 degrees. I loved it however when I left the pool I felt like I weighed a ton! My muscles were not tight at all so I'm very happy about that. I talked to the fitness club that owns that pool and two other ones in the complex and I got a one month trial membership to see how I like it. I'm going to take the arthritis water classes and I can walk on their track which is rubberized. I can't really walk by my home because it is dirt and gravel and is not level. I don't want to fall! I'm scheduled to go back to work on June 19th so I'm going to slowly work on my stamina since I'm on my feet for up to 10 hours a day.

I am very glad I had my revision. I want to thank all my bonesmartie friends who helped me through one of the most difficult times of my life. Your support is what helped me to get the courage to go through with it and your prayers are what has made my recovery so much better this time. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
 
I have just caught up on your story Marian, and I am thrilled that your revision went so well!! Keep doing the good stuff!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom