Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Since you are a week ahead of me I am hoping that means I will be out and about next week!! So thrilled for you that this time around is going so much better for you.
Your bill though....WOW! both of my knees were only 2/3 that cost. Thank goodness for insurance!!
 
@Glamg1979 I think we will both be taking long walks before we know it. I know my little dogs can't wait for that day again.

This is my 1 month day. I was out all day yesterday but was sitting with my leg down most of it. I was taking my friend to the doctor and we got caught in a 90 minute traffic jam on top of the usual 30 minute drive. All in all I was gone 6 hours! I didn't have much in the way of pain. Mostly swelling with a rare zinger. I iced and elevated all night.

I went to outpatient PT for my evaluation. He took the usual measurements of both my knees. He didn't tell me them and I don't really care about the numbers. The strength in my leg is 4/5 so that's not too bad. We did some gentle exercises. He never forced my leg in any way and allowed me to decide when enough was enough. I'm fighting that no pain no gain thoughts imbedded in my mind and so far I've got it under control. :heehee: I told him my goal was to be able to walk without pain and to be able to get back to work. He agreed with me. I'm scheduled for twice a week which is enough for me. I know I need to work on my extension but that will come on its own.
 
After my three days out I've been relegated to just doing absolutely nothing yesterday and so far today. I'd like to go out for a walk but I don't even have energy to get dressed to do that. I also was having pain yesterday and this morning and went back to the Oxycodone for some relief. There's not much swelling but I've been getting those lightning bolts and overall aching that has made it hard to sleep longer than a few hours at a time. I learned my lesson. Three days in a row to the ODIC is well beyond my abilities right now.
 
Rest and elevate, sometimes that's what it takes after a hard few days.
 
@newlybionic
Just to say I have the same revision joint as you, but cemented as far as I know. Mine feels much more stable than the primary that was replaced because of instability, but I'm finding pain hard to cope with even at 9 weeks out.
 
@Dabber I seem to get some sharp pains periodically in the knee itself. However I seem to feel the pain in my shin bone a bit below my knee. That's what usually bothers me the most. I did have that same type of pain in my thigh but that seems to be gone. I haven't done very much in terms of PT so far. I do have a session tomorrow. I hope your pain starts to die down for you shortly.

I finally seem to have finally lost my extreme fatigue that had me down for the last few days. I have an outpatient PT visit tomorrow so I'll be out for about three hours total. It takes me almost and hour each way to travel there. I have to go to a lab to get a blood test before I go. This is my last week on warfarin so I will only have to go once more on Thursday for blood work and then I'm done. It's was worth the hassle to not take aspirin twice a day after it almost caused me to develop an ulcer the first time around.
 
Happy to see you've been doing so well after your surgery. Hope you get to rest up one of these days soon. It's rough when we have a few busy dsuys in a row, isn't it? Hope things keep improving for you. Also keeping your daughter in my prayers.
 
I had a PT appt this afternoon. I usually use the valet parking because the parking lot is done a small hill but there were so many people waiting I decided to park my own car and walk to the building. It wasn't much of a problem at all. The first thing I did at therapy was the recumbent bike. The therapist said he wanted me to rock back and forth but I could easily pedal the bike in both directions. :happydance: There was no pain at all just a bit of stiffness. We then did several other gentle exercises and stretches. He never touched my knee or leg just told me what to do and watched as I went through them. We ended the session with some ice and then I met my youngest daughter for lunch today. I was gone about 5 hours or so because I ran a few errands too. Hopefully I can sleep tonight. I've got my knee elevated with ice packs all the way around my knee. :ice: Time for some tv!
 
I'm so impressed! I only remember feeling completely exhausted at a month out. I hope you continue to be comfortable tonight, it's always a challenge to find the right balance between rest and activity.
 
I'm still wide awake. I talked to my oldest and she had some good news/bad news medically today. She had a repeat MRI of her spine and it looked much better than the original one she had taken a couple months ago. So she can hold off on any MS medications right now. She has been trying to get pregnant and she had a test to check her Fallopian tubes and it looks like one might be completely blocked and the other one shows what the doctor termed a 'speed bump' which can hinder the egg from passing through. There is a surgery that can open them up but her company is on strike and since she's in a management level she can't take any days off until the strike is over. She's usually a very upbeat and bubbly but all the medical problems she's been having lately has her feeling very down right now. It's hard for me to console her. I really don't know what to do. i can't kiss her and make it better. I just let her know I'm here and I'm ready to do anything for her. My psychiatrist had a neurology problem she had to deal with when she was in her twenties and she's willing to talk to my daughter with no charge. So my my daughter has refused. I'm sorry I went on about this as its not knee related but it is something else that is causing me to lose sleep. I been took something for sleep tonight but I start to feel a bit sleepy and then I'm right back awake. I have no pain at all and my knee is elevated with my ice machine running. I guess I'll fall asleep eventually.:bored:
 
I am awake tonight too for no apparent reason. At 9.5 months post-op I thought these sleepless nights would be a thing of the past; they are fewer and farther between though. I have an appt with my PA tomorrow. Maybe that is why I am awake--knee front and center once again. You sound wise about your daughter. So glad this recovery is going so well!!!!
 
Marian, I'm sorry to hear that things are so hard for your daughter. It's really good news about her spine and the MS, though.
I'm sorry she may have fertility problems. All you can do is what you are doing and I'm sure she appreciates that.

I know very well the feeling of wishing you could do more. My daughter has endometriosis, which has gummed up her tubes and ovaries and she'll probably never conceive a child of her own. She and her husband decided not to go the IVF route, and she buried herself in her work. Since she lives in England and we live in NZ, I couldn't hold her and hug her, but I talked to her often, via phone calls and Skype.

For her, life had a way of compensating: two years ago, Children's Services asked if she and her husband would consider being legal guardians for a little girl (15 months old) who is a distant relative of her husband and whose mother can never have her back. After two years of guardianship, they have now been granted an adoption order and they are the very loving parents of a sweet, little three-year-old, whom we all adore.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom