Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Hi! I can't log on often but you guys are never far from my thoughts. I miss talking to people who understand. So glad to see the revision recovery is going well! Keep taking care of yourself. When do you return to work?
 
@hawk2go I don't have to be back before the week of June 18th so I've got plenty of time to get my stamina back. While I miss hearing from some of the people on bonesmart it's nice to know that the reason is that they are very busy living their lives. I'm glad you're doing well.
 
I've had a down day today. I've had a headache, nausea and pain in my knee all day. I' have not done anything at all. I'm going to put my dinner in the oven and set up my ice machine. Hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep tonight. I'm happy that tomorrow is the last time I have to go for blood work for the blood thinner I'm on. I'll be done taking it on May 2nd. It's been hard to keep to the diet because of it. I really love salads! I also have PT tomorrow afternoon too. Sometimes I feel like I should push myself more instead of just hanging out all day but it's hard when I can't sleep at night and then not feel well during the day. I have to remember that I had two surgeries in 8 months and my knee never got better in between. It just kept getting worse. I just have to remember that I am getting better this time as I already have less pain than I had before my revision.
 
@newlybionic - You are just a tad ahead of me on recovery time-wise and a down day or two or three are practically expected at this stage. I'm just sorry it is traced to not feeling well and battling pain, rather than 'just' the blues. Even with things going well, it's hard for me to motivate myself to do a single thing right now but sit and do mindless things.

So, be easy on yourself. What we 'should' be doing is resting, healing, and not worrying about accomplishing anything. Especially under your circumstances.

I hope you can get the pain and nausea under control and sleep tonight. Does ice bring you any relief?
 
You're just over a month, Marian. Don't beat yourself up, it's typical to have bad days at this point in recovery. Enjoy a quiet evening tonight.

I've had a nasty headache too, and the only thing that helped was a quiet evening doing nothing.
 
I had another down day today. I still have a mild headache and just not feeling up to doing anything. I rescheduled PT to tomorrow. I can't really say I'm having the blues but I think I've got to push myself a little to get myself out of my funk. One good note is that my blood tests are over with!!!! :yes!:
 
Hi Newlybionic: I've been meaning to post you as you have reached out to me a couple of times and I want you to know how much I appreciated and needed to hear your feedback- after catching up on your last several threads I can see you've been through the gauntlet lately!

Really glad to hear you are doing better but very sorry to hear about your daughter...life has thrown me some "fast balls" (as it probably does most people) and it gets really tough at times, I know. So do you.
:swoon:
I'll say one thing though- the biggest gift, bar none, of having a knee replacement, was finding this website as I've been so graced with making some real friends here; not the kind that just chit-chat about the weather...I mean real friends where we get down to talking about what's REALLY going on with us. I can't put a value on that kind of friendship.

I don't have but one or two friends like that in my personal life- imagine how blessed we are to have so many right here.

TKR recovery can be overwhelmingly frightening, isolating, lonely, and definitely slooow. :bored:

Just glad to know you're out there (or ON HERE is what I mean) with my other new friends. People on this site need to hear what my you have to say.

Take care, I'll be following your thread.
Newbie tkr. (Diana(
 
I went to PT today. Did some stretching and extension exercises. I rode the recumbent bike at a decent clip for 10 minutes. She measured my flexion at 115!! :happydance: Believe it or not that's 20 degrees more than it was before my revision. :spin: I did a few more exercises and she gave me a theraband to take home. She mentioned wanting to start working on doing exercises with the steps but I told her my muscles were tired and my knee was swollen(truth). She decided to measure my flexion again. She wanted to push my leg but I was strong enough to stop my knee when I felt I had gone far enough and she couldn't push it past there. :no-fin: It measured 115. She seemed disappointed that my flexion remained the same. I guess my muscles weren't tired after all.:rotfl:
 
Fantastic flexion Marian!! I am so happy for you. Kudos for protecting that knee during PT. This helps those blues doesn't it? Hang in there!
 
Since I've been watching so much tv I've been seeing commercials for two hospitals ( one of which I worked at and would NEVER want to be a patient) for joint replacements. It makes me laugh every time I see them because they show a group of people sitting together doing heel slides and I quote 'laughing together'. They are all wonderfully dressed with full make-up and hanging earrings. I challenge anyone to show me a picture of themselves fitting this commercial. I accidentally took a picture of myself after my first surgery and I definitely did not look like that at all! :rotfl:
 
I never watch live TV because I hate commercials, and always skip past them. But, it would be fun to see those just for the laughs! :rotfl:
 
Commercials: heel-slides? THAT I can relate to...
Laughing? Make-up??! Haircut/color?
What's that? Don't have a clue as it's been to months since I've worn make-up, had my hair done.
I have laughed though thanks to postings like yours...keep 'em comin'
:loll:
 
6 weeks out today! ROM is 1+5-10, and 115. I rode a recumbent bike this afternoon for 15 minutes and a nice steady rate and did some other exercises at PT , heel slides and stretches for calf and hamstrings which continue to be tight. They also had a machine that's like a CPM without the M. You put your foot on a pedal and you slowly ratchet it up with your hand until you feel a bit of a stretch and hold for 15 secs and then you rachet it down again. I guess that's bionic heel slides.:heehee:

I decided to just try a couple of stairs yesterday in my house so I went up three steps foot over foot and I had absolutely NO pain! I can't remember how many years it's been since that has been true. I tried the foot over foot down and again NO pain. I felt a little weak and a bit weird on top of it. I guess it a liitle picture of good things to come. :yahoo: After PT I went out to lunch and had a large salad since I haven't been able to enjoy one while I was on warfarin. I'm finally off that now so no more twice a week blood work either. Now I'm back home with my three dogstors icing and elevating.:dogwalk::dogsniff::doggie::ice:
 
I am glad to hear you are doing so well! Finally, you have what you should have had with your first replacement! It's been a long road for you, but you're almost there. God bless you!
 
Wow! Good to hear you had a great day and wonderful progress! :yes!:
 
I didn't sleep well last night. I was up every three hours and wound up taking some pain meds at about 6 am. I was out today for about 6 hours and I'm totally beat. I went to a group therapy class ( for my head lol) and then visited where I work and talked to some coworkers and my boss. We discussed my return and that I will still be on orientation when I come back so I can work my way back into things while I have some help with me. After that the it was off to the grocery store and the post office to pick up my mail. I brought all the groceries in and put away only what had to be refrigerated. I had a quick sandwich and now I've finally have gotten my ice machine going and my leg elevated. I'm beat to say the least. My leg got a bit tired and swollen but no pain at all like I had before surgery. My back started to feel tired and achy. I guess I'm really out of shape even after just 6 weeks. So I think I'll pull up my blanket and call it a day! :sleep:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom