Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

In regards to my revision surgery will waiting longer make the surgery more prone to problems in the way of bone loss?
Only if it's loose and even then it depends on the behaviour of the loose item, if it's knocking against the bone somehow. But generally no.
They used cement to place the prosthesis so I'm worried about the procedure to remove them and the complications involved.
It's actually not a problem. Most knee implants come out quite easily as the bone cement is not a 'glue'. It doesn't actually stick to anything but keys into the bone at a fairly minor level and fits the implant much like Lego bricks click together. So knee implants will generally give up with just a moderate tap. As for the cement left behind, the surgeon will only remove what is easy to remove. Some of it will be securely keyed into the bone and only needs to be removed in cases of infection where it will require a fair amount of what looks like masonry work with a hammer and chisel to remove it. But the cement is easy to see in the bone as it's a creamy white against the blood and bone so that's not really that big of an issue either. In the infected hip it is because they are working down a long dark tube (the femoral canal) and every scrap has to be removed.
I'm thinking of maybe trying to do it sometimes in March but I'll try to do it sooner if it would make the surgery easier.
It won't make any difference in the long run except that by delaying it, you will have that much longer to be in pain.
 
Just stopping in to say hello! Hope all is well. Is the reality of the revision setting in yet? Such a lot to deal with I know. Still looking at March?
Gerri
 
@Glamg1979 I have been going through the feelings that my knee is not bothering me so much especially in the morning but after a couple of hours I know it really does. It like when you make an appt with the dentist for a toothache and right before you leave you feel no pain at all.:heehee: I quickly went through the four stages of grief. My only concern is whether this would be a preexisting condition or not. My benefits start Jan 30th after which I'm eligible for 75% short term disability. I think March would be best but my youngest wants me to wait until after April 15th because she's an accountant. I don't know if I can wait that long though. I'm worse than I was before the surgery and it grows every day. Do you have a date yet?
 
If 2 cents are being thrown in here's mine :wink: I agree with Wanttobebiking but understand the practical considerations. Since you now know the general recovery expectations (even though yours was not a routine recovery), you may be able to prepare better in advance for the early days when times are tougher. No matter how you slice it, if the prosthetic is placed correctly, you're worlds ahead of the game.
 
@ newlybionic, So sorry to hear of all the difficulties you've been having. Just going thru a normal TKR is tough enough. Will keep you and your daughter both in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Just popping in to say Hello and lend support. Only YOU know what your personal situation will stand. But, you can rest assured that you will have an army of support here! Hugs, love and prayers.
 
I didn't quite make it to the end of my 10.5 hour shift today. I only left 15 minutes early but I was barely able to get to my car. I want to go take a shower but I'm afraid that I might fall there or on my steps. Maybe I'll be up to it in a little while.

My daughter has her MRI of the brain scheduled for Wednesday provided she gets her paperwork in the mail tomorrow. Her results will have some bearing on when I decide to have my surgery. I have a class the week of January 25th. At the end of it I need to pass the exam to finish the first part of my orientation.

I am frightened to go through everything again. I know more than I did the first time around but I also remember the pain, stomach problems and depression that I experienced then. This time I'll probably be home alone too. I will schedule a visit with my new OS to go over everything sometime in February.

I tried to download the Xrays so I can post them but they are in a format that I can't access. It needs some type of a medical app to open and look at them. If anyone can help,send me a personal message.
 
I have a tendency to think of all the bad things that can happen and I know it's counterproductive.
Just staying in the present and dealing with the next thing we have to do can be a big relief.
I read this advice somewhere-I wish I could remember who to credit for it:
You can easily hold a glass of water with your arm fully extended for a little while. However, if you try to keep it up you become tired and painful--you need to put the glass down.
You have so much to worry about, you deserve a little break.
:bath:
 
Hi @newlybionic. Pretty good making it through most of your shift , but cringed to read you could barely walk. Do you have something for pain that you can take after work, you know stronger than OTC? Maybe your new OS could prescribe something since he clearly knows the pain you are in.
Praying your daughters MRI results are normal and you can proceed with your surgery. The fact that you are now worse than before your surgery is really tough because we all know how much pain we were in when we finally relent and have the operation. I understand your fears and after all you have been through it would be abnormal not to be concerned.
No surgery date for me yet but I have those times that I consider waiting because even though my recovery has been uneventful the same fears as the first time persist. Mentioned waiting to my husband but he told me he could see how my left knee was getting worse and I am starting to limp again. :bawl:
 
@Glamg1979 I decided to request an appointment through the on-line portal for my new OS to talk about the revision surgery. Their newsletter for the practice had a story about another patient who had a TKR somewhere else and that his OS told him everything was ok even though he still had pain and his ROM was decreasing at about 6 months out! The doctor who took care of him was the same one I saw. I did get some tramadol from my regular doctor but he said I shouldn't had needed it after I was two weeks post op. Needless to say I educated him on the fallacy of that statement! :bignono: My last concern is whether my company might call this a pre-existing cindition and deny my short term disability. If I can't get it then I'll have to somehow wait until I turn 62 in November so I can take early social security.
 
@jarabas One of my fellow nurses thought I should too especially because he let me be in pain and then just brushed me off. I don't know if he could have done anything about it but at least an acknowledgment and help to take care of the problem would have been nice!:censored:
 
I agree that your first surgeon was less than perfect - to put it politely.
However, you have a new surgeon who sounds good, so things will be better in the future.

I hope your daughter's MRI goes well and shows nothing to worry about. Once you know that, you can move ahead with your own plans.
 
I hope everything goes well for your daughter on Weds. I wish they could find some way to relieve your pain especially if you have to wait.
 
My dear friend (and every flight attendant) often remind me to "put on your own oxygen mask before helping others". On the surface it sounds selfish, but in reality it's right to care for yourself so that you're better able to care for others. I hope the tests go well and the wait for the results is short.
 
Unfortunately my daughter's MRI has been postponed until next week since she never got the script and ok in the mail today. She's disappointed but will have to wait.

I received an email from my new OS group. It contained a monthly newsletter. There was an article about a person who had a TKR done by someone else and that surgeon ignored the fact that the person was having increasing pain, decreasing ROM and his former OS just brushed him off. He had a revision done by my new OS and talked about how the OS went out of his way to help him. The new group has about 7 different surgeons with two who do revisions. Is this an omen of good things to come?:yes: My appointment is Feb 24th to talk in depth about the revision.

I also talked to a lawyer who told me that unless my new doctor can say that my old OS did something that has caused my current problems then there was no case. Consent forms state that the surgery could not work to decrease pain so that's that.
 
So hard to wait when you're anxious to begin with. But it sounds like you chose a good OS.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom