Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tortoise, not hare

Alto 2 I just wanted to say I’m happy for your improvement and to reiterate what Jamie was saying about the gradual improvement that can occur with time. I had my knee replaced September 19 so I’m about four months out and it keeps getting better and better. But I do find that when I take a couple days off it doesn’t hurt and maybe actually helps. Good luck Alto 2 and I’m confident you will get better and better. The surgeons are really good these days. !!!
 
So, just coming up to 6 months things are still slowly improving.
I had a lot of additional improvement in my second year, so don’t give up hope!
That’s very encouraging. Thank you. It seems to be a continuous process until one day perhaps you don’t notice it anymore.
 
Alto 2 I just wanted to say I’m happy for your improvement and to reiterate what Jamie was saying about the gradual improvement that can occur with time. I had my knee replaced September 19 so I’m about four months out and it keeps getting better and better. But I do find that when I take a couple days off it doesn’t hurt and maybe actually helps. Good luck Alto 2 and I’m confident you will get better and better. The surgeons are really good these days. !!!
Thank you for your encouragement. I agree about taking a couple of days off although I still do some pedalling, sit ups and low steps if I’m not doing pool or outdoor walking. Sometimes the weather is too bad to go out but it’s winter after all! Good wishes for your continuous improvement.
 
Alto 2 I have confidence that you will get to that point where you just don’t notice it anymore. I’m not there yet with my knee but I remember when I did my hip 16 years ago and I don’t even think about that. When I had my three month follow up my surgeon told me things can improve for up to a year and a half or so!!
 
@skicubad, welcome back to bonesmart. Please tell us when your TKR was and which knee it was. One of the staff members will add that information to your signature. Also, please consider joining the Insider club so you can open up your own Recovery Thread. Just to let you know, you are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to search the forums, and read about other recoveries.

If you want a more personal experience, I hope you will choose one of our subscription options to become a member of the Insiders Club. Here are some links for you to check out:
Membership/Insiders Club
Guidelines for Posting

You can also join the Insiders Club easily by clicking on your username and avatar and then selecting MEMBERSHIP in the drop-down menu.

We are a non-profit organization and the small donation goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.

All our subscriptions renew automatically unless you cancel your membership before the renewal date. If you want just a 6-month subscription, you can purchase that option, wait a few days, and then cancel it. Your membership will go until the end of your 6-month period and will not renew. But you must cancel it to make this work.

Once you cancel, an expiration date will appear in your profile under MEMBERSHIP.

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the welcome back. I don’t want to hijack this thread, but my surgery was September 19 2025. I was very active on bones smart 15 years ago when I had my hip done, but as I said, I have forgotten all about that and going on with my life. I do love hearing about the experiences of others and I’m always enthused when people seem to get better and better. Going to look into joining up.
 
Hi there Alto,
Checking in on a few BoneSmart friends and you're on the list. :wink:
How is recovery coming along? Hopefully you're enjoying your new knee and feel like you're getting back to a more normal routine, even though the process can be slow. You're almost eight months post op. Time certainly flies. I hope you're doing well...we'd love to read an update if you have time to share one.
A great rest of the week to you! :SUNsmile:
@Alto2
 
Hello at last Layla and all
I can’t believe that I haven’t been in touch since the middle of January! However, it was about then that my husband was unexpectedly diagnosed with bowel cancer. We have had a whirlwind of appointments and he started chemotherapy last Wednesday. He’s doing well so far although he is often in pain. The abnormalities were found when he was having a scan for something else so we are grateful that it has been discovered.
Obviously, I have been quite busy helping him and it’s great that I can move better and drive short distances now. My knee is still somewhat painful most of the time and that familiar tightness is often present. I can steadily do our whole flight of stairs and can walk up to 1 mile and a half. This is pleasing, however, I have decided to keep things as they are for awhile and not try to go any further or faster while I am dealing with our home situation. I am still exercising in the pool although not as often as before.
Is it okay at this stage to do some gentle running/jogging in the water? I am able to walk along quite strongly now. I am not sure about trying to actually swim, as I can only do breast stroke, which I believe is not too good for knees. I wondered about doing a bit of kicking up and down whilst holding onto my float? I am doing cycling movements in the water and of course I have my pedal machine and step system at home.
I am resting with my legs up when I can and have considered going back to using ice, particularly after I have been driving.
Anyhow, sending good wishes to you all and look forward to hearing from any of you who have a moment.
 
Hi Alto2. Sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. I'm glad you are beening as active as you can. These knees of ours are hard work and stressful. I hope things improve for you and you're husband in the future. Take care jcx.
 
I’m so sorry to hear about your husband and I hope the chemo goes well. I’m glad you are recovered enough at this point to do what you need to do. I’m sure you will continue to improve, in this year long (on average) recovery.

Best wishes to both of you. :console2:
 
I pray that your husband does well with the chemo and that your knee continues to behave!
 
I’m sorry for these additional challenges you’re going through and hope things go well for your husband with his treatment.

There isn’t any reason why you couldn’t give some additional exercise in the pool such as jogging or running. Just start slowly and work up gradually with a day or two in between the sessions. If you experience any pain or swelling in the 24-48 hours after attempting this, it means your body isn’t quite ready for this yet. The same goes for swimming. As you continue to recover there is nothing wrong with testing things out. Just be sure you only try one thing at a time so you’ll be able to know what works and what doesn’t. Plus you won’t risk overdoing things by taking this approach. Remember that caregiving is exercise too, so don’t be in a hurry to increase specific exercises.

Do consider that the pain and stiffness you are experiencing could be the result of trying to do too much right now. Your knee is going to be just fine if you slack off the official exercises and just allow the activity you must do for your hubby to be your primary exercise. I suspect you’re on your feet much more because of this and that can cause the pain and stiffness you describe.

Keep in touch when you can. We’re here for you!
 
Hi Alto2,
I am very sorry you and your husband are facing this challenge right now. Thankfully it was discovered and you're feeling strong enough to support him when / where needed. I'm guessing it may feel overwhelming some days so I hope you're able to take care of yourself and get enough rest as your recovery continues. Prayers for perfect healing, strength, stamina and peace of mind for both of you. :prayer:
@Alto2
 
So sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds as though you are doing really well.
I agree with @Jamie to go carefully and add activity slowly. I would be especially careful in water as it is easy to overdo things without realising it when relatively weightless.I was a bit hypermobile and I just can't trust my body in water as I can over twist without realising until later.
 
Thank you all for your caring and wise words of encouragement. Thank you for the prayers added to ours and so many others. We’ve had a few rough days this week so I haven’t even been out for a walk. You are all correct though, I’m doing enough just around the house. Some new medication today is helping. I will keep gently on. Thank you for being there.
I wish you all a very happy Easter.
 
So sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds as though you are doing really well.
I agree with @Jamie to go carefully and add activity slowly. I would be especially careful in water as it is easy to overdo things without realising it when relatively weightless.I was a bit hypermobile and I just can't trust my body in water as I can over twist without realising until later.
Thank you. I agree that it is easy to keep going in the water. I will be careful.
 
Hi @Alto2. I see your one-year anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks.

We haven't had an update from you in a while. Please let us know how you are your dear husband are doing.

:flwrysmile:
 
Hello and how lovely to see your message benne68. I have been thinking of posting for the last week. Things have been rather busy here with hubby's treatment. He is not in pain now but has some discomforts from the chemo. There have been some reductions in some of the tumours but other parts not so much. So next week he will have a change of drug and the addition of another one. This will continue every 2 weeks for the foreseeable future. Thank you for all of your good wishes. My tortoise not hare label seems to apply to him at the moment.
:)
My knee has continued to improve and yes, it is almost one year! I can't say that I am free from pain and those familiar tight feelings just yet, but I have had some days when it is hardly noticeable. This is encouraging. I saw my surgeon at around 10 months. He was pleased with how I was doing although we agreed that I had made slower progress than he had perhaps expected. He doesn't want to see me again unless I need him for anything, so that's one less appointment to go to! I can do stairs normally, albeit carefully and I can walk as far as I want to - up to 2 miles. Speed is slowly improving. I am driving regularly too. I am still exercising in water but only once a week at the moment. I can't seem to swim although I have practised kicking my legs whilst holding a float. It is better on my back so I will keep trying.
It has been so encouraging to be part of Bonesmart but I am sadly going to let my membership go shortly as things are so busy. I will however recommend you outrageously! to anyone who I think could benefit from your collective wisdom and good wishes. You all certainly got me through some difficult times. Overall I am glad I had the new knee. It feels much stronger and is therefore supporting the other weaker knee. I can do a certain amount of gardening again and it is easier to bend down too. Good wishes and God Bless to you all.
With love. Joy (Alto2)
 
I am glad to read that your recovery is going well. I'm sure you've read in others' threads that many of us find we continue to improve and make gains well into the second year of recovery. Time is the best healer.

I hope your husband continues to see improvement from the chemo. It can be a long process and I'm sure caring for him keeps you busy.

Thank you for being an Insider this past year. I encourage you to pop in from time to time to give us updates. Even as a Basic member, you can continue to post on this thread.

Best wishes to you both!
 
I'm so glad you stopped by to catch us up. It sounds as though things are going well for you. It is interesting about swimming though. I'm certain if you keep working on it that too will happen. Our muscles work in their on time.

Keeping up with your husband and his medical needs has kept you busy. I'm glad that he isn't in pain and going well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom