Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tortoise, not hare

my gait is now good. Hurray. My physio even approved of it.
This is great news -- and a milestone to be celebrated.

when I started to do the 10cm step I quite soon got the tight band of pain back across the front of my knee.
Something similar happened to me during my first TKR recovery. My physical therapist suggested that I try using a book that was about half the height of the step. I did that for a few weeks, until the pain eased, then switched to the exercise step. Maybe worth a try?
 
Another excellent idea. Will check out hubby's bookcase. He has some big solid ones which might do the trick. Will let you know. Thanks again.
 
Thanks for describing your pain. This sounds like you’re just not ready to do steps normally again yet. Your soft tissue needs more time to heal and get stronger with less challenging exercises.
 
Hi @Alto2 :wave:

Checking in to see how you are doing with those step ups. Did using a book help at all?

Give us an update when you have a chance.
 
Hi and thanks for checking in. I have been stepping onto an 8 cm high book. It’s a commentary of the whole Bible! ️ I was also offered the complete works of Shakespeare or War and Peace but I chose the Commentary
8cm seems fine, quite comfortable and I am doing that regularly. I have tried the 10cm step and can do up to 5. More than that and the tight pain comes back. It tends to linger and can wake me in the night.
I am determined not to be discouraged by this as I have made progress in other ways. Pain on waking is much reduced. I can balance for a short time on the operated leg. I can stand for longer so have done more baking. I have walked half a mile and in the pool I have walked 14 lengths quite comfortably. I started at 4 lengths, painfully! It’s a small pool about 11 meters but the progress is there.
I step up onto kerbs and into doorways when walking around as they are usually quite shallow. I can walk reasonably well without the stick although I use it a bit when it’s wet outside. Or frosty!
On Tuesday I see my surgeon for a 5 month check up so I will be interested to hear what he thinks.
Thank you for the waving emoji, benne68. It has really made me smile, laugh, giggle.
Good wishes to all.
 
I'm glad the book trick is working as well for you as it did for me!

I know it's frustrating, but keep trying and one of these day when you least expect it that 10mm step will suddenly seem easy.

Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing well. Being able to stand long enough to do some baking is a great milestone -- and just in time for the holidays!

Let us know how your check-up with the surgeon goes next week.
 
It’s a commentary of the whole Bible!
Well, that's definitely a firm foundation to stand upon. :wink:

Sounds like you're making nice progress, Alto. I hope you have a good post op visit tomorrow.
Wishing you an early Happy Five Month Anniversary!
 
Hello all
So I saw my surgeon at almost 5 months on and he gave my knee a thorough examination. It didn’t hurt as he moved it to see what it could do and he concluded that the new joint is in good shape but the soft tissue around it is taking a while to heal. Hence the continued pain. Keeping steadily on is the best plan. He also agreed with me that the digestive issues I had during the first 6 weeks slowed my recovery. However he is confident that I will continue to improve. .
Then I saw the physio who was surprisingly kind and encouraging! I did some steps with her and, seeing where the pain was, she put some stretchy support strapping under my kneecap. This helped immediately, reducing pain and increasing mobility. It's waterproof and can stay on for a couple of days and nights. I have ordered a supply as she thought it would be useful for several weeks. So I will keep on extending my walking distance and trying those steps. I can also get back to driving. So far I have sat in the seat and pressed the pedal. It seemed OK. Tomorrow round the block maybe?! So that’s my update. Still a way to go but I’m getting there.
Well, that's definitely a firm foundation to stand upon. :wink:
I thought so too
 
However he is confident that I will continue to improve. .
Great to read this. Remember that, at 6 months, you are still only halfway through this year-long recovery! Think of how far you've come in the first six month... and how much more you can improve. Some of us continue to see gains well into our second year.

she put some stretchy support strapping under my kneecap.
Yes, kinesiology tape can make a big difference. I used it for a while after my first surgery. Even now, with knees that are 2 and 4 years post-op, I always pack some in my suitcase when we travel -- just in case.

Have a great rest of the week. :SUNsmile:
 
Hello all
Just checking in with current progress. I have done a short drive with only slight discomfort. I have done some higher steps without the crashing pain I had previously. I have walked 20 lengths of the pool. A good month. Just arrived at son's house for Christmas to find that their stairs are only 7 inches high. So I have walked up the stairs normally for the first time in a long time. Progress at last! Thanks for all your encouragement and Happy Christmas x
 
What a lovely way to start your Christmas family holiday! Brava :roseshwr:
 
Yay for 7-inch stairs! You really ARE making progress, @Alto2. Remember when you struggled to do the 10cm step?

Wishing you a wonderful holiday with your family.

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
have walked 20 lengths of the pool. A good month. Ju
That is amazing. I don't think I could do that at 3 years plus, although I can walk miles on land. But I have some residual ligament issues and water exercises don't suit me.
You are doing really well.
 
have walked 20 lengths of the pool. A good month. Ju
That is amazing. I don't think I could do that at 3 years plus, although I can walk miles on land. But I have some residual ligament issues and water exercises don't suit me.
You are doing really well.
Thanks. It’s a very small pool but the progress is there. Great to hear you can walk miles. I have done 0.65 mile so far. Aiming for 1 mile perhaps within the next month.
 
Aww, I love this for you, Alto2. :egypdance:
What a lovely way to begin celebrating Christmas and very soon a new year! Just think of the progress you'll make over the next several months. Back behind the wheel, taking higher steps and lots of pool walking are all very encouraging steps in the right direction. Keep up the good work, you're doing great!
@Alto2

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Hello everyone. Just checking in with progress. Walking is going well as I have just passed the 1 mile mark. This was at a local nature reserve and included a 10 minute sit down in one of the hides. Lovely to do something normal!
I was happy with the kinesiology tape which the physio recommended however it appears that I am allergic to latex and elastane. I came out in nasty spots which have only just cleared up! Physio then recommended a knee support brace with a hole at the front. This supports the knee cap like the tape did. I have had varying results with it as I’m not sure I have it positioned correctly. I will keep trying. My physio appointments have finished now.
I have made progress on steps and am almost ready to put the booster bits onto my exercise step. I am not rushing things as I still have pain and discomfort, particularly as the day goes on.
I have done a bit more driving. It seems to make my lower back hurt but I think it’s hurting already from various sleeping positions I get into. We also need a new bed and have ordered one today. . Again, it felt good and more normal to go into a store and choose a fine new bed. So, just coming up to 6 months things are still slowly improving.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
This all sounds very positive, @Alto2. When we tell people that full recovery takes a whole year or more, it means people will experience exactly what you are going through. Things get gradually better. Your body slowly gets stronger and more agile. And your world begins to expand once again. Most people do notice these steps forward around the 6-month time frame, so you’re right on schedule. Keep doing what you’re doing and gradually continue to add activities. You’re doing really great!
 
So, just coming up to 6 months things are still slowly improving.
I had a lot of additional improvement in my second year, so don’t give up hope!
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom