Bilateral THR Topgun's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...you're back to work already! I can't remember what my hips are made of, either. I asked my surgeon at my post op visit, and he wrote it down for me. It's on my recovery thread. I know the ball is ceramic. Like you, I don't want to wear these out. I do feel good when I do my routine at the gym, though. I like the stair master and the weight machines. My surgeon encourages us to use the gym equipment as PT, after four weeks. It's such an individual thing. I've been riding my bike on flat surfaces around the neighborhood. It feels good. There are so many options. You'll find what's best for you. I'd like to do my best to avoid a revision. I had mine done at age 50...
 
@CricketHip
I have not yet ...really had time to go to my gym.......right now....gonna continue to stretch....and swim on wkends....i have some calf raising exercises......
Day 29.....work went ok......pushed it......i admitt...my rt leg was in pain by 1:30 pm.....not sure??? It it a stinging feeling under my right rear rump......icing tonight.....
i can't really take any ultram or norco.....i come across as a loopy guy too chatty.
Praying day 30 is better.........take care bs buds.:bawl:
 
We have all pushed it at one time or other during our recovery and paid the price. It's good to know you are keeping ice packs handy for when you need them. But, my goodness, returning to work at less than 1 month out, is definitely pushing it...no matter what kind of job you have. I truly hope it doesn't have any adverse effects on your recovery. The aches in your bottom are normal. It's those tissues, etc coming back to life. Please take it slow when you can and continue to ice and elevate when you are home.
I requested a copy of my surgical report and was amazed at how detailed it was...from wheeling me in to the op room to taking me to recovery and all the gory and interesting facts in between, including the parts (make, model and size) they used on me.
 
@topgun Frankly I think going back to work only 30 day out of BTHR is a bit risky. You are still very much in healing mode and need your pain meds. Then there is the Energy drain for THRs that kicks in around one month out. Sounds like you have had a bit of this already. You can't fight it and you will need rest.

Please don't over do at this stage. It's a short space of time for a lifetime of no hip pain. But get it wrong and you risk chronic problems.
 
Hello @topgun very glad you are doing so well but I'll chime in and say don't overdo it! Work will still be there. I say this now that I am retired because having to get the new hip just after I retired made me realize that we only have so much time, especially time that is pain free, or nearly so, work is important and you may love it but family, friends, etc. should be at the top of your list. Keep up the :ice: and :sleep: you're not done healing yet. :friends:
 
Hi @topgun I have been missing your update as no alerts coming through. I too am gob smacked at you returning to work at 4 weeks! I had a bilateral and although I was walking with out aides, I kept wanting to go to sleep. So I did! I eventually went back at 8 weeks on a phased return, I found it really hard to get my head to focus on anything for more than 20 mins, it was weird!!

I too talk too much when I take pain meds, the office has now got used to me waffling on, usually at lunch time when I have had a dose.....the stinging in my butt turned into piriformis syndrome and bursitis, so do take it easy and don't sit for too long, I am sure my constant sitting has made it worse.

Good luck, take it easy, ice the muscles and if you are getting exhausted pull back in work a bit xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 32
Hello friends and BSers!:) Missed y'all.
So thankful for my Depuy ceramic ball hips........Finally, able to secure make and model from medical records.

Ok. Doing home PT on my on these days......stretching and mainly calf raises.....I must admit I do walk more than i realized as a hospital mktg. Rep. And driving all day from one stop to the next......causes my hips to get a little sore on my hamstring side....even though i had direct anterior.......also.....my LTHR seems to hurt a little in the socket???
I try and ice a little during day but....reclining is not doable.......ohh well.
Please note i am grateful!
I am out of tramadol.....not sure...?have a little norco.....left.
Finnergan....gone.
mythigh is numb too.
suggestions for scar area???? Should i b massaging this area???
I truly hope everyone is good. Most of these things are more irritants than anything......but they add up by Friday......i am exhausted by 2pm at work.....:sleeep:
 
I use BioOil on my scar. It can be found in any Walgreen store or on line. I'll say again, though, 32 days post op is WAY too soon to go back to work, even with an anterior approach. It's no wonder you are exhausted by 2. Energy levels takes months to be replenished after hip surgery. You have not given yourself enough healing time. Allow yourself to rest, ice and elevate as often as possible. These are key to a successful recovery and with all the walking you are doing with your job, any other exercise may not be needed, other than the stretching. Good Luck!
 
@topgun yes, a gentle massage over the entire though is beneficial, in my opinion. I use a nice oil for the scar but use a thick massage creme for the rest of the leg. Scar tissue is necessary but those little scar fibers are very tidy and neat. they form in a mish mash assortment of patterns and then causes stress to the muscles that are trying trying to work and yield. I find just using a couple pounds of pressure and working from the knee to hip in circular patterns most beneficial.
 
Ok.
Should I use icy hot.....mineral ice over scar area......I know of a wonderful healing oil at health food store called 7 healing oils!!!!
:bath::good-bad::ice:
 
Oh my goodness, no to the icy hot. That is a tender area for now. (The incision) New skin is tender!
A gentle vitamin e cream/oil is perfect for the incision line.
But it might feel good on the larger thigh muscle areas?
 
Wow I can't believe you are back to work so soon. I find getting up and down from sitting causes lots of muscle strain. I can imagine how riding in your car, in combination with walking for your job is causing you some pains. I hope you are taking it as slow as possible and resting up at the end of the day.
 
Hi @topgun , How is work now. You went back really soon - wow? I went back to work after 6 weeks fulltime and it went fine. But then again, I've only got one new hip and a not very stressful desk job. I'm a translator. But you as a marketing rep must be very active. By the way, I don't need any pain meds to talk a lot - I talk anyway :). I stopped taking them after 3 weeks. Take care - Best wishes - Constanze
 
Hi @topgun I remember you had your surgery about the same time as me but I only had one done.You have done so well to be back at work especially a job that involves such a lot walking and car driving.I remember reading on here that work = PT and you don't need to do to do any extra exercises.I hope you are able to take a rest over the weekend to give yourself a break.
@CricketHip I was interested in reading your advice about massage.Is it a good idea to massage the scar with bio oil at 6 weeks ? My scar has healed nicely but it still tugs on the muscles and there seems to be a few little lumps along its length which I feel would benefit from massage.
 
suggestions for scar area???? Should i b massaging this area???
Nope! Just leave it to heal. You scar will fade to a very thin line. No need to massage anything in that scar.
but they add up by Friday......i am exhausted by 2pm at work.....
Too soon back to work I am afraid. Rest this weekend as much as you can. Unfortunately you can not ignore the Energy drain for THRs .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom