Bilateral THR Topgun's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry that you got so ill. I hope you are feeling better. That's scary when you're not sure what caused it. Glad to hear your PT is going well.
 
Day 17......Have been given a good bill of health. PT going very well. Scar tissue zone a little numb....how about y'all?
My PT says to massage the scar tissue area.......to help loosen and stretch scar tisssue........learned new stretching drills and walked 1/2 mile...............thrilled still about implants.....continuing to keep attitude of grattitude. Sometimes I think about being 45 and double hip replacrment and get a lil down.........Then it dawns on me that many of my GI buddies are coming home missing limbs and so forth at 1/2 my age.........i then perk up snd buck up snd appreciate just walking......God is so good. He is faithful to His children snd I owe Jesus so much.
Blessings to all y'all in recovery.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, sounds like you are moving right along with your recovery. Wishing you continued progress. I know what you mean about having 2 new hips. I am 51 and think, how did I get here at this age. Already worrying about revisions. I though I was young to have this done, but after joining many forums, so many in 30's and even 20's needing replacements, makes 51 look old. I am with you. When we think we've got issues to deal with, they are nothing compared to what many others are going through. I decided to have the surgery to have a better quality of life. None of us know how long we have at any age, so it's better to enjoy our life w/o pain at any age given that it is a possibility.
 
Hi @topgun !
Your progress report is sounding great!! Good for you! And yes, I think hat numbness and tenderness around the incision areas is pretty common. I am a little surprised that mine is still so symptomatic at almost 4 weeks. But hey, if that's all we have to worry about? Then we are doing fine.
I do that very same thing, think of others who have is much worse. It' helps keep the perspective clear.

Have a great weekend! I am looking forward to some nice long walks.. :walking:
 
Glad to hear you finally got over the pukies and squirts! Sounds like you are doing really good now. And, I agree, it puts everything in proper perspective when you stop and think about others who are going through much worse than we are and are still coping. Here's hoping you continue with your great recovery!
 
Yaay for the clean bill of health, @topgun! I hear you about sometimes feeling a bit blue when you think of having had THR at such a young age, but you have the right attitude to realize that there are others who are dealing with so much worse things.
I think it's important to remember and respect that we're dealing with something pretty big too, in the grand scheme of our life, and to give ourselves props for having the courage to go ahead with it and to keep the faith as we recover. Good will towards ourselves helps us feel empathy and good will towards others. :)

Re: the scar tissue numbness: yes! It reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in Colorado and would go outside sledding all afternoon. I'd come in and it would seem like the first couple of layers of skin were frozen. I could feel myself touching those cold areas, but they was a muted sensation. Hard to describe.
My home health nurse assures me it will lessen with time.

Take care and keep up the good work, @topgun. :)
 
AT all my BS friends.....a hearty helleaux from bayou country. I' m in my ultra propped up lazy boy watching Michigan and M State......great game......of course living in Baton Rouge.......game day is EPIC all day......my wifieee cooking a huge pot of shrimp and corn soup......home made bread.......buffalo wings and a bundt spice cake to start.....
In my man cave.....my curiosity has now turned toward..... what model did my surgeon use?.......I never asked....like....is it ceramic.....zirconium........i am 225 lbs.....stocky......did he pick a model for an active stout guy? Do models have a certain weight max?....... such a guy....lol......need something for conversation piece at Thanksgiving and Christmas.........LOL. Took it easy today on day 18! Went and watched the Martian......just chilling today.....Well. i threw baseball with my 12 yr old son......amazed how i can open up.....however when i lunge it is sore.
Are we feeling soreness from stem down in our femur??? Or continued thigh muscle soreness from Anterior method......bi-laterally speaking......my movement is a lil clunky and mechanical but smazed what I can do.......... feeling sporty and greatful today. BLESSINGS and encouragement to anyone recovering today or about to undergo hip surgery......Trulu thankful. :prayer::yahoo::dancy:
 
I hope somebody sheds light on your questions pertaining to the prosthetic hardware; how does a surgeon determine a specific size or material configuration ? These are great questions.
I have meant to ask, myself, what is the make of my hip and what is the material combination.
Wish you a continued speedy recovery.
 
@lalo
Yeah......Now I'm really curious on how a surgeon determines hardware? A recipient is surely hoping it doesn't go out to lowest bidder. Lol
 
PT on the way......about to get on hamster wheel.........I believe Health club not in my future.........
for yrs......in my 30's i did freaking eliptical........treadmill......etc.

For what????
It seems to me my hips have only so many steps......then break down..........why speed up that on a bike,walker,or eliptical.......I am stoping the insanity!
Been thinking: gonna do push ups ,,,sit ups, swim.........A modified Herschel Walker routine!!!!!!for few yrs.......gonna walk less.......strengthen muscles ,,, and go easy on joints/tendons..........
What do my BS buds think?:walking::swim:
 
Sounds like a plan! Go slow. I'm just happy I can walk up and down the sidewalk a little distance at this point.
 
Hey, @topgun, guess what I did today? I spied a piece of lasagna that I *thought* was from the batch we had this past weekend and ate it for lunch.
Found out from hubby a bit ago that, nope, it was from the batch we had a few days after I got out of the hospital...3 weeks ago.
I might be making some deals with the Lord during the next 24 hours. :beg:

Re: your modified Herschel Walker plan: I think that sounds like a very good idea, especially the swimming. Your reasoning about each hip having only so many steps in it makes sense. The more joint friendly exercises sound like the way to go!
I hope PT went well! :)
 
Good plan Toppers.. I tend to revert back to the recumbent bike inside and normal bike in good weather.
light weights are so good for us. I figure just getting back to doing therapeutic and corrective massage will put enough wear and tear on my hips. It's a lot of strength coming from the legs.
How are you sleeping? Doing well?
@DeepBreath NOOOOOOOoooooooooo! Oh hon.. maybe the acids form the tomato sauce will have slowed down the nastiness. :eeeuw: :swoon:
 
Oh! @topgun I meant to tell you, I didn't know what "model" I got either until my 4 week's check up. I was told before my surgery that the surgeon likes to use Stryker so I knew that. And they knew I was active so he was going to take that into consideration. It basically ends up being a decision on the table, you know? And of course when they discovered my moth-eaten and shallow hip socket, Im sure that caused some decision making right there..
after the surgery when I asked he said I would get the paperwork at the 4 weeks check up. I honestly think he did so many that day he couldn't tell me about mine.. hah!
So, I will post the details on my recovery thread, in case you are interested. :)
 
@CricketHip I have no idea about model, never thought to ask I do know the x ray tech said she was taking measurement xrays whatever that really meant. I do see the Stryker van at the hospital all the time I drive by. One thing my doc did say, as he knocked on wood, he didn't think I'd have any dislocation problems because my bones were extremely hard. No false security, I'm still careful!
 
DAY22 OS.....basically cleared me to go back to work.....
Told my home health PT...he sd. wait.....a couple days.......
Day 28....Today......went bk. Per my boss to 2/3 day.....Ican't explain how fuzzy i wuzz today.......Is it jetlag??? Folks were thrilled to see me but overwhelmed i was back. I could not believe the changes my lil. Job had gone through while i was out!!!
My boss is 32 and understanding but.......wants me on the hamster wheel........as i am a marketing rep. For a small 60 person company......
graciously.....i go back tom. 9-3pm....
Thursday all day.....
I kept ice bags in car in a cooler.....i pulled over and iced my legs 15 mins. Went to work.......it was ok.......
Tom.will b better.......i am sure......looking out for myself.......as best i can.......:chinstroke::tiredwheel:
 
oh and I can't wait to hear all about YOUR implant.. I didn't get a nice neat little card for the TSA people, just a letter stating my surgery and etc. Apparently people are forging the dared little cards and they are getting phased out?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom