Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Topgun's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you sound great. Are you having all over itchies, incision, near incision. Sounds like others have all over itchies from pain meds? Benadryl for that. But check with your doc. For itching by incision as it heals, ice helps. Do not put any creams or meds directly on incision. I found I had itchies in strange places near incision. I think they have so much tape all over that when that comes off it leaves itchy sticky patches. Watch the tape. I ended up with a nasty broken blister from peeling skin away in one area. That first stuff they put on is like duct tape I swear. Then when they take that off, put different tape on top ouch!!! It's all in the person that does it. I had no issues with first surgery. Luckily I have glue and do not need any covering now. Hope your great recovery continues
 
Hi,

For the itching I just reached for the ice packs, no creams or pills at all. Worked nicely for me each time and damn did it itch early on. Good news is it will pass.

Ref the "loose" feeling, it's not that unusual in my experience. My left one felt like that early on i.e. first week and a bit, until things tightened up a bit. I never had any problems with mine but worth keeping an eye on just in case.

Hope things are improving nicely for you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Ice helps my itchies, too. And I take Benadryl at night. The first few days I had a funny "ka-thunk" feel and move to my hip. I didn't worry because I had read about this on our forum here. Now it's settled in and gone. IMy husband asked me yesterday how does it feel? Does it feel abnormal? and I can honestly say that it feels natural. Well, give or take the incision and stitches, etc. :loll:
Enjoy this sweet time of sleep and relief to have it behind you (pun intended). Thanks for the update!
 
@topgun glad you are doing so well.Your sleep pattern sounds a lot like mine ie I get a few hours then up to the loo get another few hours then more pain meds and another loo visit before another couple of hours of sleep.I am managing to stay on my back as my operated leg is quite swollen so there is no chance of rolling over.I am also on anticoagulant injections over here they are called Clexane and for 30 days so only another 24 to go !
 
@topgun, it sounds like you're doing great. :) I second the Benadryl and ice for the itchies (after checking with the doc, of course).
I am so happy for you that you got the double whammy and now are on the road to recovery.
Sending healing vibes your way. Take good care of yourself, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @topgun glad to have you home. Your first night sounds great I hope home health was good. Did she have suggestions about itching? I had some itching, not too bad and it seems to be gone now after my shower. Not sure if I was just icky or if I got used to whatever was making me itch. I'm on day three at home, I found the first day I was really exhausted and sleep unless I was eating or peeing. The second day I had more energy and was walking a lot more. Now today I am eating, peeing or sleeping again. While I didn't have any more pain today I do think I did too much yesterday and that's why I'm so tired again today. You have double the recovery of most of us, do give yourself plenty or care and don't push. Congratulations on being home with your family and on the road to a great recovery.
 
Hi topgun,
Wonderful to hear you are doing well after your surgery.
Be sure to read the articles Jaycey left for you.

Please add your surgery date to your signature, hover over your username top right, click on signature and add your information there, Thanks!
 
Welcome to the other side @topgun! It never ceases to amaze me how many brave souls there re out their who opt for the bilateral procedure. You all have my utmost respect! Lots of luck in your recovery process and if you follow the BS mantra and don't push it, you will do just fine. As far as the itchies are concerned, I think most of us suffered from it in one degree or another. If it's generally all over your body, it is probably the pain meds. I ended up with a localized itch, on my back, which was caused by sweating and laying on the hospital bed with those plastic mattresses. Ended up with sweat bumps that drove me crazy until they gave me some RX cream that worked within 2 applications. Make the most of these next few days by icing, elevating and resting. Let the wife spoil you and enjoy it!
 
@topgun I hope that itching has eased a bit. Did you discuss this with the visiting nurse?

Regarding the feeling in your left hip - muscles have not tightened around the joint again. This takes a bit of time and it sometimes feels like something is moving. I had a slight popping sensation after both THRs. It will soon fade.
 
The meds made me itch. Once I was able to start cutting them back, it went away. It was worth it in the initial healing phase for the pain relief, though.

I hope you got some answers as far as the sound you were describing. That worries me.
 
Hi @topgun hope you are doing ok. My right leg was terrible after surgery and was rock hard a swollen for ages. But I dint know about icing...as i hadnt joined BS until about day 9...

I also had a clunking feeling, again in my right side. It went after a few weeks.

I do wonder what they differently to my right leg versus the left. As no probs at all with the left, but the right still gives me pain.

Do yours feel the same so far?

Hope your sleeping is still good too.
 
Sorry,
I have so much to say.......login problems since Monday!!!

Ok. Movement in hip quit.....At home. Kids...wifiee at work.
elevating, icing, taking meds.
My PT home health crew.......Came and said Mr.Topgun, " We can rehab and get u back to work in less than 3 wks." I said......ok. No probldm but I am human........I don't want to break any records.....or impress any referral sources!
I believe Ortho patients are looked at in the hospital as prized little piggies! My last 6 hrs. In hospital 3 or 4 company reps. Came to hound my tiredddd wife about home health.......If u go with our company we will give u free pens, and tennis balls for your walker! :):)LOL

Ok.seriously.....stitches itch a little but no infection......walked 1000 ft. Yesterday. Today we are going no walker and caine assistance for as far as i get tired. Loads of butt crunches and windshield wiper drills.
Too much fun.
Well wishes and blessings to everyone this week.:rotfl::tantrum2::ice:
 
So happy to hear from you @topgun, I'm glad all your little issues have resolved and your PT crew is so happy. I'm sure you'll hear it from others but three weeks is NOT enough, just because you can doesn't mean you should. These hips need to last you a long time, allowing them the best healing possible is what is most important for you. A few more weeks now will allow you to reap the benefits for a long time. It seems PT considers every patient a race, see other threads. Do you think they get a bonus for some metric that isn't necessarily in our best interest? Your recovery is miraculous I hope you feel my happy, healing vibes, more on their way now.:wowspring:You are doing great.
 
I agree, too soon, although, I have to admit in my head I would be back at work in 3 weeks..This was my idea before op. Once op...changed my mind then got stressed because I Couldn't physically get back in 3 weeks. I then put myself under massive pressure . By 4 weeks I seemed to have acquired the 4 week slump. That was horrible, but went as quick as it arrived. I went back on phased return at 8 weeks and that was an effort, not because of new hips, but because I was so tired. Trouble is, I am still tired!

So @topgun enjoy the time you have to recover....but We know you will and take no notice of those home people... x
 
Hello @topgun glad to have you home. Your first night sounds great I hope home health was good. Did she have suggestions about itching? I had some itching, not too bad and it seems to be gone now after my shower. Not sure if I was just icky or if I got used to whatever was making me itch. I'm on day three at home, I found the first day I was really exhausted and sleep unless I was eating or peeing. The second day I had more energy and was walking a lot more. Now today I am eating, peeing or sleeping again. While I didn't have any more pain today I do think I did too much yesterday and that's why I'm so tired again today. You have double the recovery of most of us, do give yourself plenty or care and don't push. Congratulations on being home with your family and on the road to a great recovery.
 
Whewwww......Change of mindset.....Hit the reset button this afternoon. Yippieee..I feel like a little kid! Home health called to cancel coming. They are coming tommorrow. Ok. Back to the home health deal.......
There seems to b over 25 local and national home health co's. In Baton Rouge. I have learned from my home health nurse that companies pay out commission to marketers for getting u to their company.......so yes things are on a metric...... Turns out that my OS uses another home health co. And the one serving me is trying to get "in" good graces with my OS bc he is the best intown or high volume. Which makes the comments by the PT a little more in focus........I still will not be any PT's case study so they can earn favor w a OS. Ok.enough conspiracy theory.LOL
Today, I fell asleep w home remedy ice packs......part water and part isopropyl and hello......my shorts and lazyboy was drenched!:) I couldn't help but chuckle at how some days can go. It occurred to me while texting u guys. I am in control of my rehab not a physician or home health company. :idea::yahoo:
 
Totally. I noticed that, too. I only had PT for two days at the hospital. I felt like they wanted me to do more, so that they could show progress on their sheet of paper. I just went along with what they wanted. But, I did tell one therapist that I didn't want to walk any further because I felt like I was going to throw up. "That's okay," she answered, "I have a bag." (and she held up a barf bag.) I couldn't believe it. I walked a tiny bit further, and then told her I wanted to get back in bed. I explained to the surgeon that I was being conservative with the walking because I had read on line that people had a lot of pain after doing that. He agreed. My pain did spike after the PT, so I didn't book any more.

I'm glad you are listening to your body. I've been doing about half of what I think I can do. That has protected me. I'm at seven and a half weeks now, so I can do much more. I like exercising on my own, though. I prefer to work parallel, and I do a routine that I know doesn't cause pain. It builds strength, slowly but surely.
 
@topgun Hi Bilateral Jim here. I remember when you first got on the forum and started learning more about your situation Congrates to you and your family. You are the King of your body, let it heal and listen to it. You will be getting better every day if you do the basics. Different pain huh! So good!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom