Bilateral THR Topgun's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @topgun Nice to hear from you.I am a day ahead of you and my wound looks great but it is beginning ti itch now too.I am looking forward to having the clips removed come Monday.I fully agree with @Hip Hip Hooray! and @Michegon listen to your body when it comes to PT instead of professionals who appear to have their own agendas.Walking is the best exercise but I know from experience how easy it is to overdo it especially when the surgical pain starts to recede so my motto this time is only do half what you think you can do in these early weeks to avoid the possibility of tendinitis.I hope you continue to have a good recovery
Kim
 
Sounds like you're doing well. Keep up the good healing. I thought the PT/OT in the hospital was a joke. Unless you know what to ask i didn't think they showed you that much that I didn't already know. Yes, those companies smell the insurance money With my second hip I just walked down the hall, had to do the stairs and reviewed getting in and out of the car, told them I didn't need a repeat of the rest. Been there , done that. I start outpatient PT on Monday with the same lady I had for first hip in August. She was great and I think it was very beneficial. I have limped for so long, and couldn't do much because the old hip was so bad. Hopefully she will get me walking w/o a limp. I didn't do much of anything for the first two weeks last time, other than the 4-5 basics for PT and lots of short walks around the house. Speedy recovery to you.
 
@topgun, it's so great to read your recovery updates. GOOD FOR YOU for what you said about rehabilitation being for you and not not benefit of some therapy company!! Spot on.
It sounds like you're doing great and will be recovering at a rate that is right for you. Awesome! :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! Oooh, what your PT said about 'That's okay' and holding up a barf bag. GRRRRR!!! :hissy: That makes me so angry! How dare they! Good for you for stating you wanted to rest!
 
Day 10.
I'm not chasing chickens yet outside as Balboa.....not fast as greasssed lightening. Butt I am crapping thunder.LOL:snork:

Once I changed my mindset and got off the metric or hamster recovery wheel.....Icing more today....actually took my meds and whammeaux my staples aren't itching or throbbing.
I walked less during PT....told the therapist to have a brownie and chill. They concurred and she was sctually very impathetic. Human. I am not fussy or gripeyy like yesterday and Wed. I was refraining from meds. As if to "tough" it out s little. Hard head me. Not today. I am gonna take weekend for "me" sleep, ice, rest, and on time meds!
I know y'all know the Mantra really works. It does....:ice:
 
@topgun it's great to hear about your day today, sounds really good. It also sounds like your PT listened to you. You have gotten the idea that your two best friends :ice: and :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: like regular companionship. Continue those healing ways.
 
@Plum Perfect
You are so right. I wasn't trying to b a hero or whatever just nausea prevented alot of inability to tolerate meds when i got home. Once i began taking a rx for nausea......i felt like "well" maybe i don't need the pain meds. Afterall. So wrong....It was like a trsin hoing down hill till i found my proverbial butt in a sling last night at 2am.......All in all things really r going well and today i took 2 knaps. Great day! Believe me.......a great day
 
I think your positive thoughts and plans to chill ice sleep and take your pain meds are great xx
 
Glad to hear you are taking your meds. It makes it so much easier for your body to heal and sleep.

Another thing that helped me as far as PT was to repeat, "There's plenty of time." There's no need to rush. Less is more. I'd much rather be conservative than blow it by being overzealous.
 
Hi @topgun
Congratulations! You are now in the groove. You will see such a huge difference in your outlook and in your mobility. Recovery can be a sweet time if you follow the mantras. I can't let my husband know this but I am actually enjoying my time off. I tend to be a bit of a workaholic, it's hard to sit still when I see things that need done. But I've really embraced my downtime and am being rewarded with a very easy recovery and a strong hip.
Aren't the naps just awesome?? You've got this!
 
@topgun, so glad to hear you're in a good rhythm with your meds and the poo situation. :)
It's definitely no fun being in pain and nauseous.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
@topgun
Congratulations to you for realizing now is not the time to be a hero or macho. It's so important to keep on your pain meds schedule, with ice/elevation and rest, in these early days of your recovery. You will benefit from the BS mantra immensely and before you know it, you will start seeing even more improvement each day. Best of luck to you with your recovery.
 
Morning. Healing ran into a stomache virus buzz saw! Started feeling nauseated, dizzy Saturday night........Sun.morning 5:45am sharp.....Vomiting started! Every 30 mins. For 2.5 hrs. I was bartering with God! I had totally forgot i had hip replacement........Could not even hold down water...........my on stomache bile was too much to STOMACHE!
Q. To BS family........could it b a stomache bug? Did have low grade fever...99.4
But a little small ever so small voice says.....Did i accidently over dose Sat.night on Ultram and Norco???? It turns out I did take 1 xtra Ultram out of rx dosing due to mis placement of meds.......I have since refrained from all oain meds since Sat. Night???? What is your counsel?
Home health nurse comes tomorrow?
Now I am so gun shy..........
All in all my little wifiee......hung in......my daughter is batteling a cold or sinus prob. Since Friday.... Ok BS family need your brillance???? Blessings......
Sitting here in my recovery chair.........so thankful not to be vomiting! !!! I can honestly think about my hips now......WOW:elevate::eeeuw:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh @topgun, so sorry to hear about your bout with vomiting. But, I doubt very seriously if it was due to taken 1 extra pain med. it does sound like it may have been one of those 24 hour bugs you may have picked up. Do you still have a fever? I wouldn't hold back the pain meds, especially if you are in pain. But I would start keeping a log of what to take and when, so they don't get messed up again. I had one of those pill containers that keep everything organized. Maybe your wife can pick one up at the drug store or Walmart.
I hope your day is getting better and the "pukies" are over with.
 
Sorry you had to deal with the barfys. I don't know if pain meds can cause this. Hope you are feeling better.
 
Oh, @topgun, what an icky thing to endure! Tagging @Josephine and @Jaycey to see what their wise counsel is on the Ultram.
In my humble opinion, it is entirely possible that you picked up a stomach bug. We're in that magical time of year where bugs seem to amp up.
I'm glad you're in your recovery chair and are no longer vomitting. Rest, rehydrate as you can, and take good care of yourself. Good thoughts flowing....
 
Oh, Bummer! glad you are feeling better now. Can see why you would be worried about the pain meds affecting you. Will be anxious to see what Josephine, Jaime or Jaycey say. I am like @DeepBreath and tend to think it was a virus or sadly, maybe a mild food poisoning issue.
Take care... just a small blip on the screen.. You've got this!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I bet you had a bug and a vile one too it sounds.
I accidently took 2 dihydrocodeine and 2 cocodamol. ..both have a codeine type pain med. I thought i had picked up the paracetamol to take with the dihydrocodeine. .. I did panic..luckily the only side effect I ended up with was not going to the loo for a while!!

I now use one of those medication pot thingies .

I hope you are feeling better and that your pain is under control too
 
@CricketHip @DeepBreath @Suzette

My home health nurse called at 9:45am. She sd. Most likely food poisoning or 25 percent stomache virus.....It was crazy VILE! So thankful to shakeit and move on! I am amazed the diff. 24 hrs. Makes......I literally went from bartering with my maker yesterday at 4 pm....after 10 hrs...of fighting the vomit squad to today.....dancing to Overcomer by Mandisa at 6pm this evening........simply AMAZING.......Was able to proceed with PT......and walked 1/4 mile.......50 knee lifts....50 calf raises......50 windshield wipers......yadahhh....yadahhhhh.
All in all a great day! Tom. Morning 8:30 staples out! 54 of those metal stingers going bye bye!!!:) Ok.....hope everyone else recovering is progressing with very few hickups! Goodnight:walking:
 
Yaaay! So glad that you are on the rebound from the crud and are doing so much better. I hope your day is going great. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom