Bilateral THR Topgun's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Topgun

Really pleased you are doing well, back after four weeks be careful to assess what you are about to do before doing it, best to be cautious. I went back after 11 weeks.

Billy
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kim22 I'm not sure what Bio Oil is but if @Nana757 likes it then I am sure it's good stuff.
My OS office recommended a Vitamin E oil and I am using that.
They told me to start massaging it into and around the scar at 4 weeks. Just remember to keep the pressure light.
You don't want to upset recently injured tissue, you just want to relax and soften the fibers that are criss crossing and clumpy. I try to walk a bit and do some very mild range of motion moves after massaging to help the muscles activate and help "guide" the scar fibers to move along with the muscle fibers.
Seriously, a daily routine of circular massage strokes can be very effective.
@topgun- my message above had a typo -- as usual-- hah and I don't see the option to edit it!
Was trying to say that Scar fibers AREN'T very tidy and neat.
 
Hi @topgun i cant believe you are back to work so soon AND driving. I still find a lot of driving really hurts my right leg. It stings burns and can cramp in the hip side of thigh area. Funny though i find standing less painful than sitting.

I had my bilateral in june and still have the sitting for too long pain plus (at 1.45am) still having trouble with sleep even though i am tired.

I went back as a phased return at 8 weeks. I am now capable of keeping my eyes and brain functioning for a whole day, but was really hard to start with.

I have bursitis now with some other stuff to go with it. In the right hip. I am sure that was there right at the start but only just got a medical diagnosis. Although i knew what it was from the forum. Trying to convince drs was a big problem.

So do be careful and if you do get that burning stinging aching just keep an eye on it so it doesnt get worse. I havent massaged my scars and they now dont have that 1.5 inch in width, thick hard ridge and are more knobbly so it looks and feels quite smooth, well besides a knobbly bit here and there.

I do have lumpy hard bits in the front of my thigh muscle which sting if i touch them, so think they could do with a deep massage .

Hope you get a good rest and a recline

Dawn
 
Thank you. Iced a good bit and did not go to health club. I did rake leaves and build a cozy chimanea fire.......rested a little!
Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day35
Ok. Hips rested over wkend.I did COWBOY UP and rake leaves.....lit.chimanea......had coffee
ok......haven't stretched in 5 days.....gotta get going!
At this juncture walking at work is my rehab.......going to stretch 3 times a week.......scar rubs:). Icing in evening......time for warm soaking again in tub.....then icing.......
Happy VDAY this week and......look out for flying Turkeys........they r getting nervous.:rotfl:
 
Bio-Oil is an oil that works on scars, stretch marks, aging skin and evens out skin tone. I have used it for a long time and works great...it even hydrates the skin. The OS who did my neck surgery in 2009 recommended it for my neck scar and now, it can barely be seen. And, the best part is, it is fairly inexpensive and lasts a long time.
@topgun...you're right...at this juncture, your work is more than enough activity. Take it easy when you can. Hope you have a good day!
 
8weeks!:):)
Things are going well. Had great Thanksgiving and looking towards Christmas. Low key exercise. ......need to start stretching. Have really only walked at my job.....biked last weekend.......
How are the September hippies doing?
Hope and pray a very merry and blessed holiday season.
 
Hey @topgun thats a great progress report! Good for you, you did an early return to work and are managing it very well.
I am now at 10 weeks and my return to work has been good, too. I can't believe it about the holidays! They really sneaked up this year, but thank you for the holiday good wishes and I wish the same and more for you, too. :prayer:
 
Glad to hear you are doing so well, @topgun. I've been using coconut oil on my scar. I've heard that aloe vera is good, too. I have a plant in my backyard, so I think I'll try it.

It's wonderful that you are back at work. It sounds like you have found a routine that works for you. I look forward to my baths, too.
 
Hi @topgun I am so glad you are doing so well and managing work as well as cycling.Is that on a ordinary bike or the stationary type ? My surgeon didn't want me to do any exercises other than walking until 3 months but we are almost at that point now.Have a very happy Christmas.
 
65 days.......Ho, Ho, Heaux September hipsters. We are not rocking around the Christmas tree, but feeling better.
Thanks everyone on scar advice.......Vit.E oil and aloe vera.......going to pick some up......Does anyone have a good PT workout for recovery they would like to post? Or stretching routine?
My bi-lateral......has gone well....direct anterior.....did fine.......my left side still is numb and sore........like muscular sore.......alseaux.........my gate.....gait......spell chk.......is like a weeble wobble.......been trying to walk with consciousness......hard habbit to kick.......
Monday.........my body felt rough!!!! Hips were sore........guess i hit 2 mon. Wall.......
Anyone else?...................Happiest and Merriest Christmas holiday season.
 
4 months! Walking goid..... Unfortunately, feel tightness in hips at time! Could be cold weather! Stretching.... need to do more stretching!!!
 
Hi Topgun. Tightness can be part of the simple fact that you have a lot of soft tissue that is still healing....takes a full year or more for all those hidden parts of us to completely recover. Tightness is also a way that pain manifests.

At 4 months, when you're feeling pretty darn good, it can be astonishingly easy to overdo. Finding the sweet spot between too much and too little takes trial and error. In general though, if you err on the side of caution you won't cause any harm. If you err on the side of overdoing, you can err yourself right into some IT band inflammation and/or other tendonitis issues.

I see that you are a young whippersnapper and you love to cycle. (I'm not so young, but I do love my recumbent trike...can't wait for spring to get here in the frozen north.) So it's really important to be patient with yourself as you work (play) back into the activities you love. That way, you'll be sure to still be doing them for many many many years to come.
:)
Sharon
 
Hi Topgun, thought I would step in. So glad all is going well. I am 6 months this month, I have a little stiffness and soreness still at the scar where the IT band was cut so I was told by surgeon. I have a lot of IT band pain to my knee which makes walking difficult at times. He sent me to therapy, was told the band was like a gravel road, they worked with roller and a small steel tool, and stretching. Didn't really do much but I continue to stretch and use a tennis ball at home. They said I was strong but needed more movement I bought a stationary recumbent recently try to get 5 miles a day however, it doesn't seem to help the band because it only hurts when I stand so my belief is I need more weight bearing excercise, like walking but way too cold for me still.....so I stretch and do the rubber band excercises and stand on that leg more until spring, so if you can walk do a lot of it, good luck. Oh, my surgeon said what I am at 18 months is what it will always be so I hope I can get by this IT band pain before that happens, Deb US
 
Hello @topgun !! So good to have an update from you! Yes, the stiffness is thee at times to remind us.. haha

Are you still traveling a lot with your work? I've noticed more stiffness when it's cold or stormy, too! But am light years better than where I was pre op. Stop back in and give us more info! Yes, I am greedy like that!
 
Ok.... One year anniversary this month! All in all things are good. I do get tightness at implant sight and some soreness. Have slacked off stretching the last 5-6 weeks...... Any advice from veterans???
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom