THR Tomorrow is the big day check in time 7:45 AM Nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff,

Ice is great to help with swelling. I will confess that although I loved everything about my surgical and hospital experience, ICE was not their strength. I did not get much.

I also think that taking advantage of the opportunities to get up and move helps move out the fluids. In the night after my last revision I got up to use the bathroom ELEVEN times. (I was hooked to bag after bag of saline...) After 6 or 7 times a night nurse asked if I wanted to use the in bed urinal...I opted for getting up and moving the joint. She was the only one who seemed less than fully supportive of my getting up that much.

And I could be wrong, but the hospital may well release you when they feel it is medically and insurance wise appropriate, and the question will be whether you go home or to rehab. I have not seen them factor one's home situation into the decision on THEIR release. (that may be more of a U.S. thing)

Hang in there. Sleep when you feel the need...

Z
 
Thank you all very much I'm taking my meds on clock morphine and tramadol and oct. I stood up yesterday with walker and put full weight on leg . To my surprise the bone on bone pain was gone in my right leg. Did a little walking very little. Got light headed suppose to go to bathroom and hall way to day . Take care I want my life back
 
Awesome Jeff! Yes, ice is your friend as well as rest and elevation. I used ice for 6 weeks post op. Also crutches and then a cane. I am SO HAPPY for you! I went to Emory for 2 years way back in the 70's. Many fond memories. So glad they are taking good care of you.
 
Hey, jebrig3164. It sounds like you're having a good experience. That's great!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
@jebrig3164 congrats & sounds like you're doing great! Love your controlled, but go for it attitude! I ave to ask - are you as really as serious as your picture looks ? Big hugs for a speedy recovery! God bless!
 
No I'm sorry about the picture lol . I'm a funny guy, love to laugh and cut up. I am senior pastor of a baptist church but I was in pain when I took that pic. Just finished walking some more went further than yesterday and learned how to get dress and set on toilet. Going to rehab because of my skin . I lost so much weight that my skin could be a problem and they gonna send me to rehab to watch my incision
 
Jeff,

I never say no to having experts help me...I think that is great that you'll get some extra attention and ensure that your outcome is the best it can be!!

Z
 
Hey Jeff, great to see you on the other side! Good idea about rehab since you live alone. You can make it around on your own but if you need that incision watched it's the best place to be. Well done on making those first steps - they are giant!
 
@jebrig3164 - lol - it's a symbolic picture of your pre - op days!! From your writing, I pictured you as a funny guy, so great that you're on the road to matching your heart & pic :). Fortunate to have rehab available to you. Trusting that your healing continues without complications. Sounds like you're doing well. Xo
 
You are a little bit older than me by about 13 years but I had the posterior last Monday and just ditched the cane on Wednesday so don't you worry about what approach. Just bc it is new doesn't mean it is better!
 
Hi @zebrig3164 Congratulations on your lovely new and pain free hip.It sounds like you are doing really well in recovery.You will benefit from your time in rehab to prepare you for home.Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.
 
So glad to hear you're doing well, Jeff! I have a consult with Dr. Bradbury over at Emory in March...not sure if that was your Ortho doc? In any event, sounds like Emory is taking good care of you! Wishing you continued good healing :)
 
Hi Jeb, here are some articles for you to read whe you have more time in rehab :)

btw, ice is not just for swelling, it is a natural pain relief and assists in reducing the inflammation - so let ice be one of your best friends (next to God that is :)) ... Hugs from Australia

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Jeff, you are doing great!
Rehab is perfect for you since you have no help living with you. They will take good care of you to
see that infection doesn't happen.

Way to go!
 
So glad to hear how well you are doing @jebrig3164 and that the bone on bone pain is gone!!!!!

Enjoy rehab and soak up all the info and help you get.....better to be safe than sorry

Thinking of you xxx
 
Thank you all for your words of wisdom and hipster my dr. Is Bradbury and he is one of the best in my book. He did my surgery and I'm pleased with it. I think I over did it to day because I got in bed and had a fever from all that walking. But after some medication it broke and I feel so much better. I must say so far so good I never experienced pain over 5 sense surgery . Hip is getting better day by day. Still feel do heavy to lift but it's getting better also . Going to bed now be blessed
 
Do take care @jebrig3164 ...no need to overdo it.

Slow and steady wins the race and a fever is not good

I think your doing great!!!
 
Jeff I checked my temp for several days after getting home. I could tell by my energy level pretty much if I was running a low grade fever. Take care and live by the mantras. They work very well. Praying for an uneventful recovery for you my friend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom