TKR TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana moon 27, @1ELISEA, and @marmora, what a nice way to wake up!! Such kind words, and well wishes. This time last year I had already been dropped off (@5:30am) at the hospital and was waiting to be pre-oped. My how time flies. So glad to have found this group and the friends I have made here. A year does go by quickly. I will go into depth on how that year has been when I get home from my OS appt. later today. I will say though that it was easier to go through with the support of my co-workers, who stopped by, called frequently, sent cards, gifts, and prayers, my church friends who came over brought meals and fellowship, my family, my prayer line phone support group which I got on almost every morning at 5:30am for the three months I was out of work and continue to get on now periodically, and the wonderful friends and moderators here whom I have met along the way. The year has not been without ups and downs trials and tribulations, but I am here able to smile, able to do my line dancing, able to walk without pain. Yes I have to say I am blessed. Thank you all. Yeah I made a year and I am happy. I woke up this morning and am pain-free. My left arm that was troubling me, the pain management doctor started me on Neurontin and that seems to have helped the left arm and the backache. What a wonderful one year mark ankneeversary as Ann says for me. No pain, knee feels great.!!
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
 
@Nana moon 27, @dogwheels, @madinana, @tiredwife, @1ELISEA, @Ellejay, @marmora, @Minnie's knees,@Pumpkln, @tashia, and anyone else that I have forgotten. I still have some time before I head off to work so I will start out with some of the questions that @1ELISEA mentioned to me in this thread. I am just so ecstatic to reach this one year milestone. For those who are almost there, not there yet, have not have the knee replacement done I would say yes I am glad I did it, and yes I would do it again. I did not say this at the 6 month mark, but it is so much better to just go for the knee replacement if that is what is needed. I did have lows as I am also dealing with other health issues so it wasn't a totally smooth ride. I had the knee surgery and had a hospital stay of 5 days because I was actually afraid to go home, I was afraid of the stairs even though I could do the 5 practice stairs in the hospital PT area. I live in a split level ranch and on a hill. So I have steps to get into the house and more steps when I get in the house to get to the main living area. When I made it home with the help of my two sons I breathed a sigh of relief. I used the walker minimally. The first week I would use the walker to get to the bathroom and then somehow would forget it when I was going out. My son was always calling to me mom why did you leave your walker her or there. PT came to the house the first day after I got home along with a nurse and my clotting time was off so I was immediately placed on heparin injections which I just did not like to give myself at all with a passion. The pain medication that help me did not hold me when I got home so it took about three days of not properly being able to control the pain and increasing the amount of the pain medication that I had. I had knee and RA pain. Once the pain was controlled I was good and I had PT coming to the house for 2 weeks 5 days a week. When one has underlying conditions it can be more difficult to control the pain, but I finally was able to get both under control and was moving along nicely. My incision healed well and I was driving at 4 weeks with the op leg. In stop and go traffic the knee does still get a bit sore and stiff, but I can manage driving about 10 miles (20 roundtrip) 5days a week back and forth.. more to come. I am just so happy.. one year Wow!!
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
 
Christine @chestnc

In the short time that I have gotten to know you through your posts on your thread and when replying to others, what I feel is a woman who is positive, strong and with a tremendous heart.

With all of your other Health Issues with RA, when you're down and when you've been in pain, you always put into each post a positive spirit that this too will pass.

That's what I admire in you, you always seem to see the bright light at the end of the tunnel, when others can not see through the dark shadows.

I am so happy that on the day of your One Year Anniversary that your many friends here on the BoneSmart site can share in your celebration :loveshwr:


You are indeed a very special woman and I know that the next 12 months will bring you more line dancing and prize winning zucchinis :heehee:

Cathie x
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, I just love the beautiful congrats and warm thoughts. Thank you so much. @tiredwife. thank you for being a part of my celebration. Thank you so much for the gorgeous post. @marmora, Cathie. You are so kind. You are always there for everyone like Ann and tiredwife and Cathie. Cathie such a lovely thread. Your thread brought tears to my eyes. So sweet of you. It just goes to show me that I learned these qualities from my mom. I am glad I was paying attention and certainly hope that my sons have been listening throughout the years. You guys are just the best. Nana moon, I thank you for inviting me into your thread and I was able to meet you and the rest of the others in your coffee club. You bet Cathie, I will be line dancing and next year I will be entering my Zucchini's in some fair some where. Thank you guys again. I will update on the OS appointment as soon as I regroup. Just recently returned home. I have been on cloud nine today just because. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi all, I was so tired last night I could not even continue on the computer. Part two of my one year journey: @Nana moon 27, @dogwheels, @madinana, @tiredwife, @1ELISEA, @Ellejay, @marmora, @Minnie's knees,@Pumpkln, @kneeper, @hopefaith, @ConnieJOS, I was discharged after two weeks of in home PT and went to a facility for PT for three months. I continued PT until I was almost ready to go back to work. I was then afraid to leave PT, and I was also afraid to go back to work for fear that I would be too fatigued to work a full day as RA makes you tried as well. I went back to work after three months and did well. Fortunately the first week I went back, was not too busy. I did have two bad falls as I went back in the winter. So for those who are planning your surgery and must go back to work, take into consideration when you plan to go back what the weather will be like in your area. I went back in the heart of the winter and we had a brutal winter last year. I fell one month after going back to work in my driveway on black ice. A bad fall on my right side where I had the right knee operated on. I was okay. I also fell after work getting onto a bus on both knees.. again okay. I was okay at my 6 month check up but about a month later my knee began to become painful and stiff. I went back to my OS for an evaluation and more x-rays and was put on pain medication and sent back to PT twice weekly. I did that and began to feel better almost immediately. I must keep moving and do exercising of that knee for the rest of my life. I walk daily on my lunch hour and continue to do leg raises and stretching and get on the stationary bike for at least 10 minutes. I can now do line dancing without stopping after each dance to rest and rub my knee. I can stand for a longer period of time though my legs still tire as RA can attribute to that. I can squat, I can get through a days work without barely being able to walk by the end of the shift. I am happy. My OS was ecstatic with my x-ray, my flexibility and how I have healed. My left knee may need to be done in 5 years time. Would I do it again.. Yes I would with the same OS and at the same facility. I was pleased. Still celebrating my one year anniversary.
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
[Bonesmart.org] TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @dogwheels, and @Nana moon 27, you guys are too funny. That is hilarious :rotfl:, oh boy I need a good laugh about midday. I love that song. Never heard it before. Thanks @marmora I think @dogwheels gave us all a good laugh :rofsign:. I am going to cut the last two big Zucchini's down today. The big one still measures 21 and 1/2 inches but by me letting it stay on the vine it has gotten so fat. (The Marrow song really fits the Zucchini to a tee). had it been warmer I am certain it would have been bigger. @dogwheels, thank you for the well wishes too!!! @tiredwife, these knees are very tough and durable. I am afraid of falling in general as I am afraid I am going to break something else. My OS told me at the last visit I can do anything I want with my knee.. I said OOOkayyy... Hope everyone is having a good pain-free day. I thought I would be okay, but the RA pain is starting to set in so I will have to take something for pain. @Nana moon 27, I was like you trying to decrease pain meds. Not today.. Have a good day and evening to all :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's not easy @chestnc is it? I had to take a 10mg top up in the night, well early hours, I felt like I'd let myself down but pain is pain so decided to just take it and be done.

I'm just really tired today. Busy with kids and husbands youngest sister. She told me today she loves coming to mine because it's a proper family home and she always feels so comfortable when she visits. I thanked her for the lovely compliment. It made me feel so good. She gave me a big hug. I told her she's welcome anytime x x x

Love from Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
@tiredwife, you and me both (wish they could find something to help with RA). The biologic and DMard meds are suppose to help, but I have been through most of them and they only help me for a while. Then I had the problem with the liver function test being out of whack and I had to stop all the meds I was on. Now I am waiting for the Rheumatologist to decide what is plan Q because I have been through A-P already. Really tired of living with RA but I guess many have something and I always feel and know it could be worse. So I just take my pain meds and am thankful that it is Saturday and I can just chillax (chill and relax). I have a power point to work on for the Research committee that I am on at work. So I can relax and do that. Everyone continue to enjoy your day and evening. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@Nana moon 27, I can image that your sister and anyone else would love coming to your house as I am certain that your home is filled with comfort as that is what you project in your posts so I am sure there is plenty in your home. Sometimes that is a little tough because then folks get very complacent and they don't want to go home. We would have that when we had gatherings and we would almost have to put on our P.J.'s to get folks to make their exit. Sometimes you just want to relax I mean chillax in your own home without company.
 
@chestnc Hubby took too much Tylenol one time and messed up his liver test, but it is all good now. My liver test is always messed up because I have Gilbert's syndrome. High Bilirubin's, luckily it doesn't do anything bad. Rest while you can.
 
Christine @chestnc

If you're reading this, you shouldn't be !
(9:30 am in Dublin - 4:30-5:30 am where you are)

You should be sleeping and hoping that pain is not keeping you awake.

Thinking of you,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom