Bilateral TKR tjcteacher's recovery thread<

The physical therapist I've been seeing keeps telling me it's a long process of healing! He always reminds me that knee replacement surgery takes a year to recover from and I have two new knees! He encourages me that I am doing much better than I think. I know we've read that information and in our head we know that but . . . :tiredwheel:
 
If only we could snap our fingers and all of us be healed!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Ladies those are all wonderful ideas!!!! Was just sitting in our back yard and the muscles above my knees were achy. Laying down they don't ache :(. But on a good note stairs are getting more doable! It's so nice we have each other on the healing journey to listen to each other and give encouragement
 
The support here is priceless! Now I can sit at my computer for more than two minutes. I hope I can return some of what I have received.
 
I think you are doing fantastic for having both knees done. You btkr's have me in awe. Patience is the thing that kicks us all in the rear I think. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
For encouragement: I do stand amazed when I do try steps, etc. the normal way that my knees work pretty darn good. I still don't trust that they work fully but they do! I have to relearn how to walk, go down steps, etc the "normal" way. That is what you have to look forward to! I'm 9 weeks into the new knees! Progressing more each week!
 
@tjcteacher I know what you mean about retraining ourselves, I'm so used to not being able to straighten my knee that I have to remind myself to do it when I'm standing and to bend it when I walk, it's crazy!!!
 
When I brush my teeth, do the dishes, etc. I put most of the weight on the other knee. I am working to change that and it is a challenge. These habits are hard to change.
 
We are so used to protecting it that it's ingrained in us. And my right one has always been my weak one, so the left is the leader on steps and weight baring. I have to get this new one strong so it can take over being the strong one. But, to do that I have to work it. But, work it smartly and gently!
 
Today I worked hard in PT and then went to my classroom and worked on beginning to get the classroom together (everything has to be packed up at the end of the year to wax floors) for 3 1/2 hours. I am wiped out! I have to build up my stamina in July to get ready for school to start in August! :tiredwheel:
 
FYI I had one knee revised and no matter how much you try you will probably still be very tired when you go back to work. I just found that out myself so be ready to be able to relax when you are home for the day. Don't start scheduling to do anything but ice and elevate. You might even find that you may need to resort to pain medication at night too.
 
Well I'm no fancy Teacher or anything- but I do have my farm chores and let me tell you- the stamina is SLOW going- LOL! I was in the kitchen for 4hrs today making raspberry preserves and I am so exhausted from it all I can't sleep... AUGHHHH! It's amazing how that energy drain works. Especially when it's humid and hot out. Tomorrow the ole girl is taking it easy- LOL! We aren't that far from each in location @tjcteacher and I honestly believe the barometric pressure has been affecting me the past few days. All of a sudden I'm feeling stiffness in both of my knee joints and an overall feeling of a downward, whoosh, energy wise! I'm sure our weather it stealing some of our stamina as well!

[Bonesmart.org] tjcteacher's recovery thread<
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] tjcteacher's recovery thread<
    Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 11.18.22 PM.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 130
My knees felt the weather changes for several months after the surgery but it gradually went away. It's one of those mysteries...
 
Back
Top Bottom