Bilateral TKR tjcteacher's recovery thread<

oh my! Mine ache so much I am like wiggly under these ice packs-so uncomfortable and tight.
I went to a long dinner with a friend after work-so nice but those feet where on the
floor just too long today! However dinner was great!
 
When you're out at restaurant try propping your leg up on the chair across from you or the booth seat beside you, especially if you've been on your feet all day. It's not toes above the nose, but it's better than having them down. This saved me from a lot of swollen evenings. By 4-5 months it wasn't a problem.
 
I still get in trouble by having my leg down too long at dinner or at the computer. It's hard to believe that there is still healing going on when the scar looks so good. It will be great when the knee no longer swells.
 
Wait, my knee should stop swelling? :rotfl:

It will gradually swell less and less as time goes by. I've been told that can take up to a year or my OS said for my revision 18 months.
 
I'm just over 5 months, and mine is still swelling! Got a massage, it swelled. Went for a swim, it swelled. I am in a more humid climate this week, and I'm wondering if that contributes to it. It's not not or unusually sore, fortunately.
 
I'm almost 6 months...can't believe it. I still swell, more in my ankle than my knee, but it's still an issue.
 
You can try some support stockings ( pantyhose) that can help. I know it's a bit warm but the light support does help. You need to put them on first thing in the morning before you have swelling. You can also get some socks that come almost to the knee that may help too for ankle swelling. They are available in pharmacies in the US.
 
Those are great ideas!

Today I went to my thyroid cancer doctor for check-up-no evidence of cancer-had thyroid removed 2 years ago :angel:. However I've gained more weight (a lot of it since knee surgery-too much sitting), bp still not controlled, heart rate is too high! So going to cardio dr next month to see if they can find a med combo that will lower bp-I take 3 already! I'm a hot mess! Also increasing thyroid meds-#'s too high to suppress the way it should be doing.
 
Hi @tjcteacher thats good news about your thyroid, but I hope they can get your meds sorted for your bp as well.
Ditto with the weight gain, nothing much I can do about it, I need better ROM to pedal my exercise bike. I managed the one in PT but it was so high it was like getting on a horse!
 
I hear that! I'm so tried when I get home from work I can just crawl to my chair! Really-not kidding. Guess it will get better.
 
My third week at work was much better, I even had energy today to go get a haircut, go to the mall to shop for a birthday gift for my sister, I had to go have an ultrasound, got a pedicure and grocery shopping, and I feel great so far, so there is hope!!! I was going to do some house cleaning but decided not to push my luck:yahoo:
 
By the time I usually get home I'm totally spent for the day too. I've started to watch what I'm eating. It's hard to try to lose weight after this surgery as it seems like it takes so long to get any energy back.

Hopefully the cardiologist will be able to come up with a good mix of meds to control your BP.
 
Just realized my 4th month new knees anniversary just passed!. I'm doing great. Just swelling after the work day! Still taking tylenol. Tired after a long day but I'm 60!:heehee:
 
Sounds like great progress, the fact that you forgot the anniversary date is a great sign!!!
 
Sounds great! I retired just before turning 60 (in 11 days). How many years have you been teaching?
 
I have so much respect for those of you going through this while still working. I can only imagine doing all this while dreading "emergency" phone calls from the office, few of which re important enough that you should be bothered, plus the physical exertion when returning. True, there is no real choice, but where your strength shows is in your careful preparation for the return, and the patience and good humor you seem to present to the world, with this wonderful blog as the place to unwind, rant and whine! So feel free to unwind here. We understand.
 
This is my 18th year to teach. I went to college when my youngest when to 1st grade! I had my surgery at the end of April-my knees feel good most days. I still am quite tired at the end of the school day and I have swelling. Tylenol helps with ache!
 
WISHING my knees, legs and feet didn't swell up so everyday! By the end of the work day they look like balloons!:cry::sorry::umm:
 
I'm still swelling up after work. My OS has told me it can continue for 12 tom198 months to some degree or another. Just ice and elevate at the end of the day.
 
Back
Top Bottom