THR Timo50 Recovery

Mojo333

Staff member since August 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
I hope your weather is warming, and you can get some good old outside therapy...
Fresh air and sunshine always boosts my mood.
You're going to get there friend!

OP
OP
T

Timo50

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I hope your weather is warming, and you can get some good old outside therapy...
Fresh air and sunshine always boosts my mood.
You're going to get there friend!
Hi Mojo333, its typical British springtime, very hot with sun one day and freezing cold the next, hopefully, warm weather is on the way, I'm looking forward to riding my motorcycles again in the summer, around the end of June if healing goes well.

Lynne54

Country
Hi @Timo50, I am still struggling with my gait (our surgery was the same date). I am okay around the home without crutches for a while, but then resort to limping. I think it's just a time/recovery issue and getting out of a previous walking habit,but it is still early days. Hope your recovery is going well.

Mojo333

BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Timo50
It surely is getting to be good riding weather!!
You know you have to be confident in the unpredictabilies, but you will certainly be better than you were when you can get back t it.
I'm an avid ATV rider and preop I couldn't even get my leg over the seat without pain.
The following year- over a year postop....
Life got...and continues to get sweeter.
Patience begets big payoffs.

Mojo333

BoneSmart Staff
Country
IMAG0588.jpg 817.jpeg VZM.IMG_20170819_181610.jpg VZM.IMG_20171105_103129.jpg rps20180408_192317.jpg

OP
OP
T

Timo50

Country
Hi @Timo50, I am still struggling with my gait (our surgery was the same date). I am okay around the home without crutches for a while, but then resort to limping. I think it's just a time/recovery issue and getting out of a previous walking habit,but it is still early days. Hope your recovery is going well.
Hi Lynne54, I had physio yesterday, and told her pretty much the same thing, she said not too worry, it just takes time., muscles need to heal and practice heel to toe when walking and long strides if possible and look where you want to go. I left a bit more confident after that.

OP
OP
T

Timo50

Country
Hi everyone, its 6 weeks today since I had my op, and although it seemed an age away six weeks back, the time has gone quite quick.

I see the surgeon on Friday, so will update you on how it goes, I'm hoping he will lift restrictions and clear me to drive.

I walking much better now, only using the cane when my leg gets tired but I'm getting better all the time.

So, from someone who was scared of this and put it off for nearly 10 years, I can say that:

Its nowhere nearly as bad as I thought.
The improvement regarding pain and mobility is so worth it.
Post op pain was for me, was minimal.
Surgical stockings are not nice.
I learnt to appreciate the little things in life, like being able to get in my car and go for a drive, being able to enjoy a hot bath, even the routine of having to go to work, I have missed these and many other things while recovering and under restrictions.

Its so great to be able to walk without pain.

This group is a great source of support and information, thanks to all.

I will update you after seeing the surgeon on Friday. My other hip will need doing at some point, so I will be sticking around.

djklaugh

Staff member since December 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Timo50 Excellent update! It is terrific to hear you are doing so well. I totally agree with all your "points of interest" -- life with pain free hips is well worth the journey to achieve that!

Hip4life

Staff member since January 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Congrats on arriving at this milestone. Most of us would agree with your summary of the recovery process. Your life will be returning much more rapidly now and soon you will be enjoying all that you've been missing. The difference is you will appreciate them much more now. I wish everyone fearfully facing this surgery for the first time could know these things but that's what life is about isn't it? Experience. All we can do is give testimony to it. Blessings for continued good recovery.

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Wonderful update! @Timo50
Recovery does seem to move more quickly than we anticipate it will while we’re still pre-op. You’re making nice progress, feeling grateful for the little things we all so easily take for granted and looking toward a brighter future. I’m happy for you!
Happy Six Week Anniversary and thanks for your kind words in regard to the forum. It is a blessing to many, I know it was for me in my recovery. Best wishes for your appointment on Friday. Let us know how it goes.

wander03

Country
@Timo50 It’s great that you, @Lynne54, and I are all doing so well six weeks in. I certainly hope you will be able to ride your motorcycles again by the end of June. I’m looking forward to your update after you see your doctor on Friday.

OP
OP
T

Timo50

Country
Hi all.

Fridays 6 week consultation was pretty uneventful, , He checked the surgery site, asked a few questions, released me from restrictions and advised me the use common sense going forwards. I asked him a few questions and that was it. Overall, I'm happy, and will go to the same surgeon when I need the other hip done. I still have some swelling at the incision, which makes driving uncomfortable, but hopefully, that will sort itself out over the next few weeks.
I also returned to work today (office job), so had 6 weeks off in total, everyone has said how well I look and how my walking has improved.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I still have some swelling at the incision, which makes driving uncomfortable, but hopefully, that will sort itself out over the next few weeks.
I’m not sure what approach your surgeon used, but I experienced this also. Mine uses posterior and while driving the buckle of the seatbelt bothered me, as the incision area is obviously tender early on. I did one of two things. Initially, I’d bring an ice pack and place it between the seat belt buckle and my leg. It really helped due to the cushion, but I also think the cooling effect was a distraction from the seat belt buckle discomfort. Because I struggled with this for awhile, later I replaced the ice pack with a folded up hand towel which also worked. Not sure this will help for you, but thought I’d mention it.

Great update! You are on your way! :walking:

OP
OP
T

Timo50

Country
@Layla I had posterior too, thanks, I will try the folded towel. I tried massaging the area last night, its quite firm, the surgeon wasn't concerned so I hope it will go soon.

Klassy

graduate
Country
After my first THR (posterior approach), I had a swelling on the outside of my thigh, which I mentioned to my os at 6 week follow up. He said swelling at this stage was perfectly normal and didn’t even look at it. My swelling wasn’t painful, but when I posted about it here I got a couple of responses saying, more or less, “me too, a bit sore, went away”.

My swelling was about the size of a mashed up apricot when I first noticed it. By about 7 weeks it had become more pronounced and firm, like an apricot under the skin. I was a bit worried that it seemed to be growing, but my husband, who had a better view, said it wasn’t growing but the general swelling around it was going down, so it was becoming more obvious. It gradually shrank to the size of a cherry and disappeared altogether around week 11. It left behind a tiny little divot effect, a faint trace of which is still there after three and a half years. Fortunately I no longer have ambitions to dance in the chorus line so this imperfection in my otherwise perfectly toned (in my dreams!) thigh is not a problem.

My second hip hasn’t had this phenomenon at all, as at 4 months, but there is still some general puffiness to the whole thigh. Perhaps there is a whole punnet of squashed-fruit-like swelling in there somewhere.

OP
OP
T

Timo50

Country
Hi all, 8 weeks PO and not much has changed, my leg has been a bit stiff, probably because I'm back at work and more active, I've caught myself a few times doing things that break restrictions, but stopped myself in time, although my surgeon lifted restrictions at 6 weeks, I'm sticking with them as best I can for the 12 weeks.
I have now got used to sleeping on my back, it even seems more comfortable than side sleeping now.
As I'm approaching the 9 week mark, I may get my motorbikes out this weekend and try mounting and sitting on them, I developed a way of getting on/off when I had arthritis that wont break restrictions, and I couldn't lift my leg over 90 deg then anyhow, so it should be fine. I still have firm swelling under the incision, its taking ages to go. I also started 20 minutes every other day on my spin bike on low resistance, and will build this up. I'm still amazed every day at what a life changing operation this is.

Sohowarrior

Country
So happy to hear how well things are going overall for this group. Every day seems a little better. I’m back on my spin bike and already doing 45 minute virtual classes. Have started to play golf again, which has made me thrilled beyond words. Back to Pilates, too, and my trainer (also remote). Started driving two weeks ago. Still a bit tender around incision and some swelling. I have a Theragun, so does my PT, have been using that on my hip and thigh a few times a week, about 5 minutes at a time. I’m thinking that in three months time I will hardly notice that I had this surgery. Cheers!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Your update brings a big smile to my face considering your initial posts here. I’m so happy for you. I know you now understand why we try to walk people through that horrid pre-op anxiety. It’s the joy of being on the other side. The wonder of what you’re now experiencing. The blessing of the second chance this surgery brings. May it only get better….and it will. :) Have a great weekend!
@Timo50

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tower6brkrs
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom