TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Slainte , the problem is.....I don't know how to use a cane! I always used crutches with my 3 previous surgeries. I do hope PT will be willing to let me use a cane and show me how - at least in the house. PT was the one that alerted me to the excessive bruising, redness, and swelling. A home PT visit can be invaluable! I think the cane will be a great tool to protect yourself from bumps when you are out in public! DH thinks it will be good to knock people on the head with if they won't get out of my way! :rotfl:
 
Don't fret over a TKR infection. Josephine says they are very rare. I gave up my Walker the day I got home and only used it outside the house, but did use a cane regularly. My cane came in very handy at school and I've actually been using it again since I fell on Friday.

Have you tried laying on your stomach? It was months before I could do that. I hope it's not too uncomfortable for you.
 
@KarriB , she turned me on my stomach at the office to check the back of the knee well. I haven't gotten my knee completely straight yet, so that was uncomfortable, although I imagine on the soft bed, it will be easier. Unfortunately, it kills my back to lay on my tummy. I was the one with a GREAT tan on the front and not so great on the back! hahahaha!
 
I think the cane will be a great tool to protect yourself from bumps when you are out in public!
:iagree: Yep---I did pretty much the same---when I went to the mall to do some Christmas shopping ( a place that I abhor---malls!) I took the came not only to help me with my limp, but also to alert those around me that I was a "slow moving vehicle" and that they should avoid me at all costs.
 
This is my incision 1 week out. So embarrassing, but I wanted to show for opinions. You can't see the back of the knee where the redness and dark, dark purple is, along with the swelling. The front of the leg looks really good in comparison. I am very self-conscious about my legs, but as the daughter of a father that was an amputee, I need to look at my legs as the wonderful part of my body that enable me to walk this beautiful journey of my life. If posting this picture helps one person, then it is worth the embarrassment..
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
    image.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 270
I am no expert, but your leg looks fine to me.

I went on youtube and watched videos on how to use a cane. My PT later adjusted it to be a little shorter. But the videos taught me all I needed to know.
 
Your leg looks awful, but that is par for the course! Sorry, says she who also was "black and blue"! I did not know to hold the cane in the opposite hand from the TKR! Duh! You're doing great! Remember, this recovery is a roller coaster and sometimes it goes verrrrryyy slooowwwwlllyyyy. Hugs and good wishes for sweet dreams!
 
It looks pretty mangled and swollen, but, considering where you are---one week removed from a horrible traumatic surgery to it, it is to be expected and is normal.

I would not lose much sleep over it at all.
 
You look swollen that's for sure, but you've had a hard day without a lot of elevating. To get my leg straight I let my leg bridge between my chair and ottoman a couple of times a day. I can't imagine being on my stomach a week out.
My scar is awful! It's a double scar from the two surgeries and I have a pocket of fat that the scar slides into. Kids are mesmerized by my leg/scar. The bruising just looks sore because I had no bruising and kept the bandage on for two weeks.
 
Your leg looks OK for where you are in the process. I had even more bruising. It took time to develop over the first few weeks. It eventually went from the knee all the way down to the forefoot....with bruising in the back of the leg and in the front. It kept getting worse over the first two weeks or so with new spots appearing that eventually went to deep purple. It was so bad that my home PT was worried and sent a picture via email to my OS....who said "not a problem". So, not to fret over the bruising and just ice and elevate for the swelling. It may take weeks, but you are normal and the leg will look better in time.
 
Thanks all. I am not worried about the front of the knee - it is the back that is the problem. I am toooo self conscious to show that picture of my leg! :yikes::yikes: Hahahaha! DH has been taking a photo so I could see it each day. At the present, the back has swollen more without the compression stocking and now the back of the knee is so tight it itches - could be the morphine also.
 
Are you icing the back? The cryocuff can be reversed to do that...although I think the straps aren't very comfortable over the incision side and the cuff itself is somewhat small. the method for icing from lonewolf21 on the bone smart library page ( using baggies and 70% alcohol with water, mixed about 1:3) ratio has worked really well for me for icing the back of the leg. I also have a total wrap called a to p knee wrap that ices all the way around....but the gallon baggies are cheaper and with the alcohol added to the water, they get really cold while staying very pliant and comfortable.
 
@Timetolive I am sorry you are having a tough time with the swelling and bruising, not to mention the worry over your labs. Certainly not a picnic but you have a great attitude! Hopefully all will get sorted out. I also had a lot of bruising - as StillHope said, it eventually migrated down, and at the 2-week mark I had a black ankle! Fortunately both the home PT and visiting nurse reassured me that it was normal - some folks on here have had trouble with their home car, but I found it so wonderful.:yay:

I appreciate your comment about your father - it certainly puts it into perspective, doesn't it? I hope tomorrow brings better things your way. :SUNsmile:
 
@Timetolive That was a long day indeed. I'm glad you saw the PA. Don't forget your ice for your car trips!! I was driving at 2 weeks out since it was my left knee and I wasn't taking any pain meds(a whole other story). I would bring my ice wrap with me and wrap it around my knee. I used a walker for 3 weeks. So I'm an older person than you who still needed a walker!! I decided I would use what I needed to use and didn't go by someone else's timeline.

If you have a visiting nurse they can sometimes come to your house and draw the labs without you having to go anywhere. I did that when I worked for one. You might want to find out if it could save you a trip.
 
You can ask your dr to write a script for a home draw from a visiting nurse, especially if it's a distance for you. I had a visiting nurse come weekly to change the dressing on my PICC line and draw blood for the labs just because getting out was difficult. But the doc has to write a script.
 
Good morning. Thank you all for your kind comments. PA said absolutely no ice on the back - I guess because she wants the infection/blood to move out of the back of the knee? The back of my knee is peeling also - I really don't want that skin to break down.

PA took off the Aquacell, and just covered me with gauze so my comfy, stretchy, knit, "oh my gosh I can't believe I wore them in public" capri pants wouldn't rub on the way home. She said that I didn't even need to cover the incision at home. :what: I am not sure I am comfortable with this - especially since I have to lay on my stomach. Question: What is covering everyone else's wound? What was the progression of covering? I have paper tape and plenty of guaze here. I did keep the gauze on it under the brace last night. I am now joining the "I only sleep a couple hours at a time club". Up and down going to the bathroom and walking the pain and stiffness off. This too shall pass.

Wishing everyone a day filled with......WHAT would your ideal day be filled with?
 
With all the people I love together, enjoying each other's company. :SUNsmile:

Once my staples were out I had steri strips covering the incision until they wore off. I just had stretchy, soft sleep pants over it. Now after my infection I had gauge bandages because the knee was seeping so much I had to change the bandages 3 times a day. Did you have glue or staples?
 
@KarriB, there are sutures with 2 "draw" threads sticking out?

Your day sounds like a perfect day!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
    image.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 196
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom