Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all. @Celle , what a great article. My daughter came over and helped out (bless her) and DH had a funeral to attend, so we all got a break. (well, a funeral is not a break, but he was around our many church friends). I don't want to give the impression he is not a dear man that loves and cares for me - he is. We just have different ideas about what a clean house looks like and when things should be done - THAT is MY problem that I am projecting on him - my daughter reminded me. Wonder where her wisdom came from? :tada: Hahaha!

Pain is not bad today. I had some twitches - I guess nerves? the swallowing is better and thank goodness NO hiccups! My temperature has been normal today - read an article about using the incentive spirometer when you have a low grade temp - and it seems to make a difference?? I was not being faithful about it.

How often are you washing your leg? I have the aquacell bandage and the PA said to wash it with soap and water every day after the drainage wounds are dry. That first shower was HEAVEN, but exhausting. I might get a semi-shower/birdbath tomorrow! Does that make me sound disgusting?? :mute: I will soap the leg down for sure.
 
@Timetolive Taking a 'bird bath' is what I did also. It was very tiring taking a shower. I would suggest a shower chair if possible. I wished I had gotten one. As long as you keep the incision clean that's all you need to worry about. Try to conserve energy when you can. My shower was up a fight of steps and after my shower I would just collapse in a nearby bed and fall asleep!!
 
A shower bench is worthwhile and you'll use it for quite a while. But showering does take a lot of energy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I don't want to give the impression he is not a dear man that loves and cares for me - he is. We just have different ideas about what a clean house looks like and when things should be done
Those could be words from my mouth about my husband! :rotfl:
He is willing, but he needs specific and concise instructions. "Dear, I need you to do this . . . ".

His sense of time is terrible, too. His mother was a cleaning freak, who started vacuuming the house at 6 in the morning and cleaned her Venetian blinds every single day.
He was happy to let his mother clean up around him, so he never tidies anything. However, if I ask him to do a simple thing like clean the bath, he can find a way to take three hours doing it.
He did prepare meals for me when I was in bed, but he was quite happy to not have lunch until 3 p.m.

We both survived, even though things weren't done "my way".

Try to ignore the dust bunnies for now [Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<< - they show you're resting well. There will be plenty of time to deal with them later, when you're recovered more.

There's nothing wrong with having a "bird bath". At first, I used to do that on alternate days, showering on the other day. I had a chair that could be moved in front of the basin, so that I could sit down while I washed my upper half. When my nether regions were done, I changed the water and then hubby came in, to wash my feet and lower legs.
 
We just had leftover pizza and leftover pasta for supper and laughed about how our "gourmet" meals have definitely taken a downwards turn over this recovery! Thankfully, my DH is a good sport about it. He has taken over breakfast and I love it!
Yes, bird baths are allowed! I realize that I did myself in by taking a shower ( and doing hair and a smidgeon of make up) before the home pt came at 9 am each time! He could have cared less! I should have stayed in my pj's. Live and learn!
Absolutely no worrying about the condition or cleanliness of the house! I like @Celle's philosophy that dust bunnies are a sign that you are resting well.:wink:
Sleep well!:chillpill:
 
Ha! You all crack me up.

I do have a shower bench and a handheld shower.

@Celle , I LOVE it! The cat will think she has new friends in the dust bunnies to play with! :heehee: Our husbands must be brothers.

@Thesoutherncook , MAKEUP??? I thought I was doing good brushing my hair and teeth!! :dead: Balanced meals are a thing of the past! DH went to a funeral at church today and the fine church ladies sent him home with "funeral food". Gotta love a good Southern church. :wink:
 
I am averting my eyes whilst my family does the housekeeping :) I have a handheld shower and a showering bench as well but I can't wait until things are healed enough and I have the strength and mobility for a real hot bath!
Hurray for Funeral food - and casseroles all around!
 
Ummm....I think the bird baths are a must in between showers! I have a shower chair and hand held shower but it still exhausts me. So bird baths for me!! My PT person is lucky 'cause that is my shower days :egypdance:.
Need a haircut desperately but need to hype myself up to go, especially since my hairdresser was up and working 3 weeks after TKR....I just don't want to hear it right now.
 
That's all I have had since op 3rd Nov going to try to have a shower today but not sure how as shower is in the bath? If I can't do it it will have to wait until I can. I have been getting Mike to wash hair over the kitchen sink as I have a spray head on the tap. Gave instructions for floor cleaning & dusting yesterday as my 4 year old Grandson had been around he loved doing this for Nannie.
 
Good morning. Rough night last night. I ended up cutting the latex band on the TED hose in my sleepiness. What relief. I also had to take off the brace about 5:00a.m. I will be back on the MS Contin today. I got my bill from the liver panel I had before surgery and the diagnosis said "acute liver failure", so it has scared me to death. I am afraid to take anything - really, really scared. This really threw me and my husband. I hope I can get the test repeated this week and it has corrected itself. Sorry....pity party today. That along with the need to repeat the calcium serum and parathyroid for kidneys is knocking my pysche in the gutter. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I will try to regain my composure and be back later. Sorry.
 
I'm sorry to hear of this scare. Good news, the liver is able to regenerate and praying this is the case for you.
 
On the orders for labs the doctor has to put in a diagnosis to justify the lab testing. That may be what you're seeing on the bill. I wonder whether your doctor would have done the surgery if your results showed that. I had problems with my sodium levels after surgery. I went back and forth with repeated lab testing. It eventually returned to normal in about a month. So try to relax a bit.
 
The intubation tube goes into your throat for a ways, so it might be from that. Josephine, any advice on this?
Bit late replying on this but here goes anyway. An ET (endotracheal tube) doesn't go 'a way' down your throat. Just this far

[Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<


But if the anaesthetist is clumsy putting it in, the patient can end up with a very sore throat.
i have attached a file showing the Zero Degree Knee Bone Foam. It helps with the extension.
I can only say a very big OUCH! That's exactly the kind of cushion I would never advise anyone using. It will cause pain in spades!
I am not familiar with e45 cream...would a good hand cream work?
E45 is a very simple emollient cream with no additives or perfumes which hand cream has in spades!
going to try to have a shower today but not sure how as shower is in the bath?
You need a bath board like this. You sit on it with both feet on the ground and take each leg over into the bath at a time. Easy peasy! To help with lifting the 'bad' leg you also need one of these

[Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<


That was how I managed a shower for my first knee but by the second one, I'd had the bath ripped out and a fancy super-duper shower put in!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
    bath board.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 209
@Josephine , thank you. I did not have GA. Do you think the "stuck in the throat" is from the morphine? Any thoughts on the liver Gamma GT value of 257? Should I not take any Tylenol? I started back on the MS Contin 30 mg. 12 hr today covering the itching (hopefully) with Benadryl. Still on Prednisone and Xarelto. I had a shower ok with my husband's help - a little trouble with the girly bits, but that will come. Thank you for any and all advice.
 
@Timetolive I would suggest you call your doctor in the morning to discuss the test results. There are medications that can raise these values and not truly be indicative of a liver problem. I had high liver function tests a few years back and once I stopped that medication my numbers returned to normal. Tylenol can injure your liver in high dosage. If you would feel better not using it than stop it now. Your previous tests may may have shown that your numbers have been dropping towards the normal range and only your doctor can explain that to you. I hope everything goes well when you speak to him/her.
 
I would suggest you call your doctor in the morning to discuss the test results.
That's a good suggestion.
Your doctor will understand the results and he is the best person to explain them to. It's quite possible that you're worrying unnecessarily.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the Dr had to put something in the blank for diagnosis and especially to get insurance reimbursement. Call Dr first thing in the a.m.
I have had abnormally high liver enzymes and Dr said sometimes it just happens and ordered a follow up blood test in 6 weeks.
 
@Josephine, I think someone else had mentioned it in my post and you got tagged. It was great information though! Thank you.

Thank you @newlybionic, @Celle , and @Glamg1979. I have it on my list for first thing. I apologize for sounding like a crazy person this morning. These pity parties have got to stop! Letting the pain get ahead of you really does play with your mind. Today has been a better day. My pain level is a comfortable 3-4 most times and only goes up when I do my exercises. I have developed a knot on my thigh - it is warm, but not hot. PT comes tomorrow so she can check it out for me. Anything else there to look at?

@KarriB, that is good news about the liver. I do appreciate the prayers. My prayer journal is filling up with all my new Bonesmarties!

OK. I have to tell you all that I have named my knee! His name is Ralph! Those of you that are little older and American, may have heard of The Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason. Anyway, if you google "The Honeymooners -Ralph Kramden and Norton dance the Hucklebuck clip" you will see that it is a perfect dance for a new knee that is loose and ready to live! I hope you can view the clip and enjoy it. (I figured it wasn't appropriate to link it here.) It lent an air of laughter and reminded me to flush that pity pot I was sitting on and move on with life! Love to you all!
 
No need to apologize for what you call 'pity parties' I think anyone would be just as upset at seeing the diagnosis Acute Liver Failure! Heck I called my Dr for just an elevated liver enzyme.
You need support and we are all here to give it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom