TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
It will get better!

Vent if you want to - we've all done it, or felt like it. :console2:
 
I agree. Send them th explicit one not just the drawings. I'm a nurse and I couldn't even get through half of it!! You're right it definitely isn't an elective surgery. It's not cosmetic surgery unless you consider the beautiful 8 to 12 in scars we have a mark of beauty!! It's a true sign of bravery. Vent away!! We all have done it at sometime. I hope you can get some rest tonight. We are all here for you!!
 
Thank you all for indulging my rant. I will try to control myself ....:tantrum2:

We made the drive to the OS's office to have the PA check on the redness and swelling again. She said the redness had really reduced :yay: and to finish the antibiotic. I also told her I would not be putting the compression thigh high on and she was fine with that. I was told not to cover the incision and those two threads sticking out at each end of the incision? She just snipped them off! The stitches will dissolve in time. As you all know, the pain and swelling are part of the recovery. At 10 days, I just need to do what I can and forget the rest. All in all, a good visit - told to keep doing what I was doing. So I am! The exhaustion is getting to me. I am up literally every 1-2 hours to use the bathroom at night and not getting any sleep.

Question: I am not constipated, but not "going" like I think I should. What are each of you doing? I am still taking the DocQLace twice a day and take the Miralax also every other day. I know I am not eating a lot and not that much fiber...but I would like to be more "normal". Any ideas?
 
Hey there- I had nausea and vomiting issues as well. The zofran helped a little for me, but the also added a scopolamine patch which really helped. Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oops, sorry, I see that I missed quite a bit of this thread when I replied


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
No worries @nerdgrrl ! When I switched to the morphine, I did not have any more nausea-just the itching. It is important to find something that works for you! I am not well controlled with pain because of my sensitivities to medication, but am thankful for what I can take!
 
Try to get some fruit and/or veggies in your diet. That saved me! How about dried prunes? Pumpkin? Pears are perfect right now and local apples are still fresh and good! Squash? I could FedX you a squash casserole! :heehee:
Limit liquids after 7pm. Drink LOTS before 2pm!! Don't expect that a "normal" schedule will work for any aspect of this journey!! You have to adjust your expectations! :friends:

You're going to have to :chillpill: ! This recovery is NOT going anywhere fast!! Take a nap whenever you can and let DH carry the load for a while. Mine actually volunteered to cook breakfast today!! First time EVER!
 
I kept taking a stool softener twice a day and miralax until I was eating normally again. As I started to go easier I slowly decreased them. At the slightest hint of backing up I added back the last step. It took me a while because I had nausea issues and I wasn't eating anything with much fiber.
 
As well as trying to increase the fibre in my diet, I had to keep taking something to deal with constipation for as long as I was on the heavy duty pain meds.
 
I had oatmeal and a mug of warm prune juice every morning for the first couple of weeks. I did not take anything like miralax once I got home, but would have had things not moved along, so to speak.
 
@Timetolive, just catching up on your thread. I'm up, going to the bathroom a lot at night as well. Taking the miralax once a day works for me. I've accepted that recovery of this knee will require more patience and time. I'm finally catching up on threads. Wishing you a peaceful night.
 
@Thesoutherncook , you are such a tease with the squash casserole! YUMMM! Thanks for the advice about the water.

@nerdgrrl, @Celle , and @Slainte , thank YOU for sharing your "secrets" to stool success. I am still having trouble eating much and getting it down with the throat problems. Everything tastes sweet and turns me off. I am trying to eat more "bulky" foods. DH bought me some prune juice - oh, how nasty! Sicky sweet! Hahaha! I hope I keep my adversion to anything sweet when I get off the morphine! :bored:
 
Thanks @wings ! I guess when we lay down, our bodies are doing nothing but processing all the fluid we have with the swelling and that is why we are going so much at night? At least my husband is so exhausted, I am not waking him up anymore with my frequent trips. Bless his heart, he is really trying.
 
My DH brought me honeydew and I commented on how good and sweet it was. He laughed because it had NO taste at all!! Lol! This, too, shall pass. I also had a severe reaction to salt! So, everything I ate was either tooo sweet or tooooo salty. Much like Goldilocks! :rotfl:
 
Happy Friday to all the kneeknockers living a new life and all that are comtemplating one! Last night was a GREAT night! :beer: Prune juice with Miralax works! :yahoo: :heehee::heehee::heehee::heehee: How exciting is my life when a good BM makes me happy??? :chinstroke::chinstroke:

It IS a beautiful Fall day here in NC. Today, I am going to have a positive outlook and only allow myself to complain...........4 times today. Ha! The mornings start out shaky as I wake from a "gottagetupeveryhourandgotothebathroominadruginducedsleepystate" and get the knee limbered up. I am trying to take my shower after breakfast to limber up the leg before doing some PT. I am very interested in knowing what everyone's "routine" early in recovery is. I THINK today will be my last in-home PT visit. I will be sad to see that stop, as it was convenient and she was very kind and helped me through some tough times. I have out-patient PT starting next Wednesday. The RX says "excelerated rehab"?????? :flabber::flabber: Wonder what that is?


I appreciate and look forward to any and all tips, techniques, tidbits, trials, tribulations, and triumphs! Today is Day 11! That is 11 days I have made it and 11 days closer to ???????
 
Eleven days closer to a pain free life, able to walk, bend, bike and swim. Hope it's a good day.
 
Good morning! Like you, I can now make nighttime bathroom visits unassisted. My hubby looks more exhausted than I do. I removed my aqua cell bandage yesterday - if looks were the determining factor, this knee would be better than the first. Give me function over looks.

I never had home PT - OP PT started day after release from hospital. I can't say enough good things about my PT - they are wonderful in tailoring the routine for the specific knee. This knee is very different and my PT is all about gentle stretches. They even warn me not to do too much. Make sure your PT is doing what's right for you. You're the boss.

For me, getting a shower is an event. It feels wonderful, but is very tiring at this stage.

My 9 week old knee is fantastic!! My 1 week old knee is very challenging. Stiffness and pain are just now becoming tolerable. Improvements, slow but still improvements.
 
@Timetolive you have been so kind to me... I was reading a lot of your post op discussions today it sounds like you have had a rough time also. I want you to know I am keep you and all our bone smart friends in my thoughts and prayers. If you need any encouragement or anything please don't hesitate to pm me. Juls


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom