Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a lot of itching and nausea after my TKR. I used Eucerin for the itch and Compizene for nausea. It seemed the hospital soap dried my skin and the Eucerin helped greatly. Hope you feel better soon.
 
@Pescara, ain't that the truth about the soap!! With the morphine, I am not having nausea-thank goodness! Just itching and the throat/swallowing problem. Thank you for the well wishes.
 
@Timetolive yep your knee is swollen and bruised but I think your incision looks great! Very straight. Hang in there. Everyday will have little steps of improvement. It will be worth it!!
 
My incision also had a spot at both the top and the bottom where it looked like fishing line was sticking out! The OS reassured me it was suture material, and it fell off one night at about week 3. It's my understanding that the different layers of suture from the deepest level to the skin heal/dissolve at different times, but the top layer is very long-lasting. I think I can still feel one edge of a stitch sticking out at almost 10 weeks.
 
I am so very sorry you have had a rough time. Isn't it wonderful to come here and let our frustrations, and even anger out without fear of judgement. We all know how difficult this recovery is. On 12/1 it will be three months since my tkr. I look back on it and marvel my husband put up with me The news I want to share is that it does get better. I shed lots of tears of frustration, lots of self pity and even anger. At about 8 weeks I got a gi infection that lasted I've there weeks and added to my stress. Through it all this site has been a life savior

So I offer you understanding, sympathy and hope for improvement.

Blessings


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey, Dear One. :friends: I hope your afternoon was better. Bummer not sleeping! The good thing is that this will NOT last! You WILL get over all of these aggravating, niggling, frustrating extra things going on around, under and through this surgery! This is not a straight line recovery, but be assured, it IS a recovery!!
By March, you will be doing ( almost ) everything you want to do and hardly thinking about Ralph! Does that sound like a long time? What were you doing in July? See, it seems like just yesterday! :yes!:
I wish you sweet dreams and smooth sailing through the night.
Hugs from faaaaar western NC
 
@midwest girl, thank you. I was impressed it was straight also. That works well since I am a gal with quite a few levels and plumb bobs in my tool box! :egypdance:

@New England Librarian , the PA said she will pull :yikes: those ends when she takes the stitches out Monday!! I can ONLY imagine what that will feel like!

@Blueslady , what a nice sentiment. Thank you. I truly appreciate your comment.

@Thesoutherncook, looking over yonder westward ho! The afternoon was interesting TRYING to lay on my stomach with those feet hanging over the edge of the bed. I could only manage two 15 minute sessions of that. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

PT came today and was glad I had gone to see the doctor's PA. She was surprised at the swelling today, but thought the redness was somewhat better. That was good. I measured 93/8 today, so I haven't lost any range even with all the swelling. She is impressed with my quad strength, so I will take any compliment given after yesterday's ordeal. After talking with her, we decided that I should use the walker at night and if my husband is not home. The cane will be used around the house if I am not alone. She felt I was walking very good, but does not like to take away the walker and everything so soon. I am glad -I was nervous with all the pain and swelling walking "nakeeed".:old:

I am so blessed. Our dear friends came over tonight bearing meatloaf, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and a lovely salad. They ate with us and it was nice to have some semblance of normalcy. At times when we are going through difficult times, we are reminded what our family and friends mean to us. I count so many of you as my friends, and feel honored to be able to be a part of this family of "Smarties".
 
And if I was closer, I'd be there with a meal,too. After all, that's how we Southerners take care of each other! Glad you had a good meal with friends. It's nice to something "normal"! I got my hair cut and colored today! Made me feel sooooo much better!
 
In a few more weeks you'll be looking at your leg and the swelling and bruising will start to fade. Wear the 'colors' of your leg as a flag of what you've been through. When I had stitches 'pulled' albeit for other surgeries it didn't really bother me very much. The staples I had this time stung and I wished he had used stitches. I used baby lotion on my knee but not over the incision or any open areas. I like the one with lavender in it. If you used hibiclens before surgery that soap really drys out your skin. I hope you get some sleep tonight.
 
I agree, visits from friends and family were so wonderful and up lifting. @Thesoutherncook I've often wished I could send meals to our new TKR friends (or maybe some pumpkin muffins or crumble cake) :) The night I came home from my second surgery was a snowy evening, as we pulled up to my home I could see my niece and nephew decorating my Christmas tree! What a wonderful way to come home!
After my infection surgery I would go to my friends house(she would pick me up and drive me the few blocks) just to watch a movie and get out of the house, a littl semblance of normalcy. Every day after surgery is one more day closer to a new life with no pain.
 
Good morning. What a beautiful day to be alive - albeit with a swollen, purple, sore leg! :angel:

@Thesoutherncook, a haircut and color ALWAYS freshens the spirit!

@Joyfull61, it is amazing how food brings people together in shared support and love.

@newlybionic, that is good to know about how it felt! You are right, that Hibiclens is drying. In fact, my leg is peeling on the back - not sure if that is partly from the terrible swelling or not.

@KarriB, that brought tears to my eyes about your niece and nephew. How thoughtful. My dear Momma was in and out of the hospital for 8 weeks before she died. All she wanted to do was go home. I was able to bring her home for about a week and half before she died. I just moved in with her to make that happen. As we pulled into her driveway, my brother and daughter had spent the early morning and day decorating the outside and inside of her home to surprise her. My parents always LOVED Christmas. (My Daddy had already passed) We both just sat in the car and cried. Cried from exhaustion, fear, sadness for the future, and shared memories of happy Christmases past. She died at home a week before Christmas. It was the hardest time of my life, but a time I would gladly share with her again. It will be two years this Christmas and it still hurts. Thank you for sharing your memory.

Well, sleeping in two hour periods with potty breaks in between. Does ANYONE else sleep in a brace at night to keep their leg straight at night for side sleeping? I did cover the incision with gauze before putting the brace on and it still looks intact this morning. PT thought it was closed well, but I am still fearful of it getting irritated and opening up.

Second question: I realize that I am not eating "balanced" meals most of the time. I am not "stopped up" :whistle:, but not going regularly. Do you all stay on a stool softner and Miralax every day while on the morphine/opiods? (Only on BS.......:heehee:)

This day will be a better day than yesterday, with the promise that tomorrow will be even better! :catbutterfly:
 
I'm glad your doing better today. It is hard with coping with a death especially your mom. My mom died a year ago last month and it is a very tough time. I'm hoping that I'm able to have a better Thaksgiving and Christmas this year.

As far as the brace I never had a brace but used a pillow in a way the PT suggested to keep my leg straight, however I got in whatever position felt best to try to get some sleep. It's so had to get sleep I didn't want to set myself up to be in more discomfort worrying about my position. Maybe you could call your OS office for their thoughts. You need sleep to heal.
 
Thanks @newlybionic . I am sorry for the loss of your mother. Truly sorry. I am going back to see the PA tomorrow about the bruising and swelling, so will double check them. She reallllly wants me to keep the leg straight.

Just returned from the blood work. What a LOOOOONNNNGGGG walk! My calf is screaming now. I was worried about the needle stick with the Xarelto, but all seems fine. Fingers crossed for a better liver test and negative parathyroid test. I am not holding my breath since I am on the Keflex now.
 
@Timetolive Just try to relax a bit. Sometime times blood work seems to get out of whack for a while. It took me a couple of months before mine straightened out completely. I hope your home now with ice all over your leg!!
 
A brace sounds most uncomfortable and really there's no need for it. It doesn't matter if you sleep with your knee bent. It won't have any bad effect on your knee extension.
 
I had spent Thanksgiving in the hospital and was so worried that I'd spend Christmas there too. So when I was released I was so happy, then to see the kids decorating my tree in the window when I came home...meant so much to me. How wonderful that you were able to spend that time with your mother and will always have those memories.
Now to the knee, I wore an imbolizer brace for 6 weeks, all day and night. The first few weeks I just slept on my back, but then I figured out how to turn on my right side and put my left leg over the right with the brace. Now the 2nd surgery that required the brace wasn't as invasive as the original TKR, so the leg wasn't as sore. The incision was longer to allow the doc to get in, scrub the soft tissue, move down to the knee to take cultures and replace the spacer. But I was 4 weeks out of the TKR, so not as sore as you are right now.
I don't know how you are handling all these appointments. If you're going to a hospital for the blood work please use a wheel chair if there's a next time.
 
@KarriB, thank you. Soooo....the soreness will get better??? :yes!: It is hard to imagine that day! :heehee: I will use a wheelchair if that happens again! IF this bloodwork for the liver comes back abnormal, I will not be surprised with the Keflex, Prednisone, Morphine, and Xarelto. It is hard not to think about what is happening with the liver, but I know things are in God's hands and I will trust Him in His infinite wisdom to see me through this. I cannot imagine wearing the immobilizer brace 24/7! I am 5'8" with long legs. When I try to sit on the toilet at night with it on, there is just not enough room for that leg! It is quite the sight trying to find a way to sit! hahahaha! God bless you for your journey!

Thank you @newlybionic and @Celle for your continued support.

Dear Darling is so proud of himself! He made a salad for dinner! A bag of lettuce, some tomatoes, along with chicken breasts I had frozen, it worked out very well. Life is good.:catdance:
 
Hey! Are you getting the torrential rains we are today? I hope you napped today. Did you really walk all over the hospital? My dear, that's what the wheelchairs are for!!! I rode in one at my 4 wk OS appt to go down to Xray and was quite relieved to have one offered!
When will you near from your blood work???
 
@Thesoutherncook, no rain yet! We are expecting it in the morning. The lab wasn't at the hospital - it was in an office building.............all the way winding around to the back. 4 people passed me! hahaha! I am not sure when I will hear, but brought the info to sign in online to check. With Thanksgiving next week, it will probably be slow. Thanks for asking.

I TRY to have a good attitude - well, most times......:nah: Anyway.....Please don't say "it's just a knee" - and if you ask me about my knee and I try to tell you the truth, please, please, please, don't tell me "it is ELECTIVE surgery" as if I really have chosen this path out of some misguided attempt to ????? :censored::censored::holysheep: Why don't YOU try to live with years of pain, years of not being able to live the life you want, watching your world become smaller and smaller because of your physical limitations.....please don't say in your high and mighty tone that "you are doing this to your body and it is elective" because I just might not say something nice! AND I don't think YOU are nice to say it! :blackcloud::blackcloud::blackcloud::hairpulling::hairpulling::hairpulling: OK. Vent over. Thanks for listening.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom