TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Helen! The new hose really seem to be helping the swelling and pain. They give new meaning to panty lines and "lift and separate"! Hahahahaha!
 
Glad they're helping, Time to Live. I had dreadful bruising after LTKR and found arnica cream helpful. I hope you are beginning to feel a bit better. It's interesting reading about your experiences - things seem very different in the US from here in Britain.

I was told it was vital to wear TED hose, but my leg swelled so much that the hospital couldn't fit me, and the hose for my "good" leg kept slipping and cutting into my thigh so I left it off and just made sure I kept up with the ankle pumps and other small frequent movements. that seemed to work fine and was much more comfortable.
 
You either love or hate the TEDs. My dad loved them so much he wears them all the time now. I'm glad you found some that fit and are comfortable.
 
I hope you had a restful night. That makes everything so much better. How's the DH getting along? Bet he's hovering and spoiling you! Is your daughter coming today to help??? We are freezing over here this am. Our yard man is coming to help rid the ditches of leaves and toss out my now dead potted mums, etc. Guess we are in pre-winter mode now! I'll supervise from a distance and be inside in plenty of time to watch the Auburn/ GA game! War Eagle! Sorry, guess that had nothing to do with recovery, except it means I can now think about something other than the k.n.e.e.!
 
@Welshchick , it is very interesting even from doctor to doctor! I am centrally located between some of the biggest teaching hospitals in NC and each of them does things differently. My PT kept saying "none of my patients do this and do just fine" or "only the doctors from Greensboro do this anymore". It is also obvious on Bonesmart the many protocols worldwide. There is a fine line between doing what your doctor says and doing what others do and are successful with it. I have been much braver speaking up to PT after reading everything on here - some of us are not good about speaking up for ourselves. :flabber:

@KarriB , I would not say I love the TED hose! These are just more comfortable than the ones the hospital put on me. If I were braver, I would take them off, but don't want to upset my doctor or cause any problems. The knee IS more comfortable with them surprisingly. It is another matter with DH and me getting them on!!! Definitely an intimate time! :cheers:
:giggle::friends:

Question: I would really like to stop the morphine. The itching is driving me crazy even with the Benadryl, along with the throat problems. I did not take any of the MSIR (short acting) yesterday and did fine with the pain. I took the MS Contin (long acting) at 10:00 pm. as scheduled and spent the night itching and taking benadryl. I get up to use the restroom and wipe down with a cool wet washcloth (thanks @Josephine !) to stop the cycle, then try to get back to sleep. My pain is tolerable. I took two extra strength Tylenol this morning and would like to try them today. Any thoughts? I am also on Prednisone and Xarelto for reference.

Thanks all! I hope everyone has a restful day.
 
Good morning Helen! @Thesoutherncook. I had a restless night due to the itching. Then around 5:00 a.m., we had a problem and (someone who loves me very much and would never hurt me) gave the leg a good hit when he rolled over. I screamed out and grabbed the leg in pain. Needless to say, no one went back to sleep. Even the poor cat was scared. It has settled down from that. I imagine the leg brace I had on, stopped some of the trauma of it bending in the wrong direction, but did cause trauma from the leg being "held" in an immobile position and it being whacked against it.

We are settling down into a routine here at home. It is hard to switch from the "do eveything for everyone" person to the person that is dependent. The opposite is true for the husband! hahahaha! We do spoil them sometimes. My daughter is coming today to help tidy and clean. Girlfriends and neighbors have brought food in, so there isn't a lot of cooking she needs to do. I am so blessed.

We have a light frost this morning on the cars - tonight should take care of the last of the leaves on the trees -except those darn oak leaves. Distractions are good! I was thinking I am going to find some yarn and arm-knit another scarf or something. I hope your day is blessed!
 
I think it may be too early to go on just Tylenol. Have you asked your OS about using something else? Tramadol along with Tylenol is a combo some use with success. I used different amounts of oxycodone for four weeks before going in for my 2nd surgery, then more oxy (only less mg). Under medicating this early in recovery isn't fun at all. There's a medication schedule in one of links here. Maybe @Celle or @Pumpkln can help.
 
Thanks @KarriB. I have projectile vomiting ( not to be too descriptive...) with the Tramadol and any codiene. I was so hopeful with the morphine.
I have tried most everything else through my three scopes, broken wrist, and foot surgery. I really appreciate your input!
 
Here is what Pumkln said on another thread of someone having pain med issues.
For the tylenol to help you need to be taking the maximum daily dose, be sure to add up all tylenol in your other medications.

I guess with the "codone" in oxy it must have codine in it? I was never on pain meds until my TKR, so I'm pretty useless with medication questions. So happy oxy worked for me.

My best friend has a form of pancreatic cancer and a TKR. She has been on all kinds of pain meds including patches, fentenal, morphine (which she is now allergic to). I'm allergic to penicillin so I understand the itchy misery.
 
:bath::bath::bath::bath::bath::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:HAPPY DAY!! Bath day!!! Well, shower day!!! Exhausting but feels so good to wash the hospital off with soap and water instead of wipes and a wet washcloth. All the betadine didn't come off, but I am guessing it will eventually wear off. I still have some tape goo that I will get my daughter to help me with later. The shower was enough to ask of my Darling.:flwrysmile: Amazing something so simple can make you feel so good !
 
The adhesive goo is a pain to get off. What worked for me was the e45 cream I bought for my first scar. I thought I had a little bruising at first, then realized it was just dirt sticking to the goo!

My DH also has a little trouble remembering I am recovering. Every evening he comes to me and asks if I have any plans for dinner? Meaning what am I cooking! I treated myself to a new pressure cooker this week, & I like it so far. It cooks fast, gets me off my feet pretty quickly, and creates some delicious results. I am 6 weeks out on my second knee, and I'm just now able to do that sort of thing. Plus I make no promises! Everyday I roll the dice and see how it goes!
 
@Slainte , I am not familiar with e45 cream...would a good hand cream work? I was thinking alcohol??

Thank goodness for daughters and friends! DH's idea of dinner is "where do you want take out from" or a can of soup. I froze things ahead of time, but even that seems difficult at times . I have definitely spoiled that man! THOSE times are what reduces me to tears-trying to get him to understand I need help. He really is a kind and loving man-just spoiled! Ha!:bored:
 
Hand cream probably will work. E45 has lanolin and a bunch of ingredients I don't recognize. I read somewhere that Princess Kate was using it on her stretch marks, so on a lark I bought some from Amazon. Not expensive.
 
Just wanted to chime in about pain meds. I am almost 7 weeks out and doing well but having enough pain at night , plus the heebie jeebies (meaning I change positions every minute-thank God we have a King sized bed) to want to try some vicodin (norco) again. I took it when I got home but it made me so sick and the sublingual zofran didn't work. My Doc prescribed me some promethazine (compazine) yesterday and last night I took a vicodin and a promethazine. WOW....The promethazine causes drowsiness and it put me to sleep. the few times I woke I was blown away by the lack of pain! Been dealing with the minor ongoing pain so much that I forgot what it feels like to have none!. Took the pills at 10:30, woke up right on time at 2:30, took a 500 tylenol and benydryl since I was itching. Felt pretty drowsy this morning but I got some needed sleep. This won't be a nightly routine but maybe a few times a week to get some good down time.
My important point is that not all anti-nausea works the same....the zofran actually made me feel worse. So see if you can try a different one.
 
yikes .....on my last post i said compazine instead of phenergan. Sorry, compazine is an anti[psychotic! Glad I don't need that.
 
@Timetolive I think KarriB is right. It's too soon to just be taking Tylenol.
Ask your own doctor to help you with this. There must be some combination of pain relievers and anti-emetics that will work for you.

I do sympathise, :console2: because all narcotics make me vomit, too. Through trial and error, my doctors finally came up with a combination of anti-emetics, taken on a regular schedule, that did control the vomiting and allow me sufficient pain relief.

Now, about the remaining betadine and sticky goo - it will all wear off in time if you leave it alone. However, if you do decide to use anything to try and remove it, do make sure that you keep all the lotions and creams well away from your incision. you don't want to risk introducing any infection.
 
Complained is a medication used for nausea or vomiting and not an antipsychotic. I hope you can find a good combination of medications to help you.
 
Compazine is also used for nausea too!

@Timetolive that first shower is the best isn't it? It is right up there with walking through the door to your home and laying in your own bed!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom