TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
My OS sent me home in hose in July. My PT came two days later, pulled then off and said they were leaving dents in my legs and to leave them off. In October I had my second knee done and in that short time my OS had changed his protocol and I never saw any hose. So hard to know what is best.
 
My hospital set a policy that you had to wear the hose for several weeks (I don't remember exactly how many). i found they were uncomfortable and so tight below my knee that they made me knee swell more, so I took them off the day after I came home.
I don't think my surgeon minded. He didn't pass any comment when he saw me at 6 days post-op. I did lots of ankle pumps and ankle rotations and walked a little bit. I didn't develop a DVT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I only wore them while in rehab. My pt had a role of them that she snipped off to make them as long or short as needed. She had different widths also. I still hated them and took them off as soon as I got home.
 
Good morning. No hiccups to report, food still not going down so well. I am taking small bites and chewing well. Having a hard time finding something to eat that tastes good. Anything sweet makes me nauseous. Laying down seems to give me the feeling things are coming back in my throat also. Do you think it could be due to no BM? I haven't been more than small amounts, but haven't really eaten much either. I am not uncomfortable- just gurgling. Having some heart flutters at times also. Morphine perhaps?

Woke up having a pity party after sleeping in the brace-well trying to. We kinda guessed at how it should go on. I don't remember them taking it off and my family wasn't in the room when they did. It felt like my knee got twisted in it last night.

My new PT person starts today, so that should be fun. Thank you all for checking on me. It makes your world not be so small after this to have someone care. Hope all have a blessed day.
 
The swallowing problem is due to the narcotic pain meds. I had this, too, initially, and it was very disconcerting. Narcotics can slow down esophageal peristalsis just like they slow down intestinal peristalsis. I didn't have the hiccups, but I had a lot of burping. Food consistently got "stuck" and I just had to wait for it to slowly move down. Drinking liquids to help move it doesn't work because liquids get "stuck," too! Apparently the constipation happens to everyone, but this is less common. Once I started weaning the narcotics and was on a lower dose, the problem went away. Good luck in the meantime!
 
Thinking of you and wishing you well with PT. I'm sure you read enough posts about this here on the forum and will take charge with the PT.
 
Hope things are going better today. Your words and sharing mean a LOT to me with my upcoming RTKR 1 Dec. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Thanks again and keep us posted!
 
@Timetolive.

It seems that everyone experiences a unique problem but luckily no one person experiences all problems. I hope you get over your swallowing problem soon so that you can continue your healing journey. Thanks for your posts. I learn a lot from you and the other bone smart posters. Take care.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Checking in on you... How has your day been? Better, I hope!
I went out today again! Set off the security alarms at the courthouse, had lunch with a friend and shipped a print out ( UPs this time! ) to replace the one the USPS left in a puddle in a rainstorm last week. No profit in this sale but I sure hope it creates good will and more sales! No problems with the knee! It didn't even swell!!! :happydance:
I hope this makes you laugh!
Hugs! :loveshwr:
 
Hi @Timetolive , just checking in and hoping you are doing better today. Lots of things going on with you! So aggravating. Be careful at PT, mine overworked me yesterday and I am really paying for it. Sending (((hugs)))
 
PT came today and we discussed right up front our philosophies. She didn't believe in pushing your leg and she understood if I said I was done, that meant I didn't have to make a grimace and cry to convey to her I had given her all I had. I liked her. Measured at 10/90. So, I have met their "goal" but will work on more extension and flex ion. She did say she did not believe in a zero knee.

I have a slightly elevated temperature of 99.1. She was also concerned with the amount of bruising I have. Any thoughts on these things? I am on xarelto and using these :censored: TED hose. I did get the larger ones in today. They come allllll the way up. PT didn't care so much for the TED hose but with the amount of bruising and swelling I have, thought they may help. I have taken photos of the bruising to record it. Ugly thing for sure. :loll:

No short acting morphine today and the itching is somewhat better. Pain is manageable. PT discussed what overworking meant and she said if I wasn't back to a 2-4 in half an hour we overdid it. Sound fair?

Thanks again for being such a great bunch!:roseshwr::roseshwr:
 
So glad that it sounds like things are a bit better for you. I will be taking Xarelto and wearing ted hose after my surgery also. I'm sure all be calling them some interesting names too. :heehee:
 
Being on Xarelto could have increased the bruising. It will gradually fade. I've heard that both witch hazel and arnica cream help it to go away faster - don't put anything on your incision, though.
As you get more mobile, you may find that the bruising moves "downhill" - that's the effect of gravity when you stand up.
 
:iagree: My dad a lot of bruising and he didn't elevate his knee much. After about two weeks his calf was warm to the touch and painful. His pt told him to go to the ER, afraid of a blood clot. But it was the bruising/blood moving down his leg. Everything was fine, it just took time.
 
My bruising was spectacular but of no concern because I bruise very easily. Ted hose came off one day after I got home, they were so tight it was more detrimental than of help. No blood thinner other than 2 full strength aspirin/day.
I love your PT!!! I am not happy with mine right now, but I am a big girl and could of told him to back off. Lesson learned.
 
@Timetolive It sounds like you have found a good therapist. Hang onto her. I had a lot of bruising also. I was purple behind my knee. It slowly just faded away. Your ROM is really great! My home therapist was pushing me to keep my leg absolutely straight and my daughter yelled at me constantly on top of it. I'm glad she's not pushing you. I eventually have either 0 or close to it as the back of my knee touches the bed.
For me when I get constipated it seemed like my whole GI system slows up and it's difficult to swallow. The food would get stuck just the way you described it. I started taking stool softeners so twice a day to keep things 'going' but I had to lake a laxative to get it started. Make sure you're drinking enough too. Did they tell you to take off stockings in bed or to leave them on all day?
 
Thanks for the info on the bruising. I expected it to be at the back, simply because of gravity and then to move to the ankle. PT's response was surprising though when she looked at it. Is there ever a time to be concerned with the bruising?? I know it is unsightly, but that really doesn't bother me - my badge of honor! :giggle:

@newlybionic , they told me to keep them on 24/7. The new ones i got are very high -but feel tight there. At least they are not rolled up around the knee anymore. I do slide them down to get some relief once in awhile.
 
Good to hear that things are evening out for you! Hang on, they will change from day to day and week to week. But, always moving toward that end result you are longing for!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom