Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad the x-Ray shows no damage. That should give you some peace of mind. How long are you on the prednisone? I can't help with Charlie, but how sad for the little guy.
 
If it is scar tissue from where the ligament was sewn that should get better with time. On my RTKA I had an MCL repair and I had pain in that area for months. And it healed with time and massage. Internal healing just takes a long time, as I was reminded again at my OS appt last week. Up to a year. I think your X-ray looks great and normal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB, it is a 12 day pack. I will be on Day 6 tomorrow. At least Charlie has a nice bed, quality food, and people that want to love him. He is a cute fella!

@midwest girl, thank you! It is comforting to know that someone had the pain and it got better. It just seems to be taking an awfully long time. Good to know you think the x-ray is normal!
 
Janis, the only advise I can give you for Charlie is to give him more time to settle in. Try reading this article about bringing home a new dog and the 3 day, 3 week, 3 month rule. It really does follow that time line for many dogs. https://www.dogsoutloud.org/2013/05/so-youve-brought-home-a-new-dog-now-what/

Also, if regular dog treats don't work, try the real stuff like bacon, chicken, beef, etc. Many people claim that their dog is not treat motivated but bring out real meat and the dog goes crazy for it.
 
@Timetolive the MCL is located on the inner side of the knee. I believe you said your pain was on the top of your knee. I just wanted to clarify that my pain wasn't in the exact same location as yours, but it was a ligament repair. It was torn and required 3 stitches. I was at 50% weight bearing for 4 weeks using a walker and then an additional 2 weeks of using the walker at 100% weight bearing. I was thrilled when I could finally ditch the walker.
 
@midwest girl, my pain is on the medial side - upper portion. The OS pinpointed the place the stitching was done and that was the spot. I am so sorry you had to go through the repair. Walkers are definitely an interesting thing to maneuver through your home! I had just painted my den and kitchen and was soooo careful about knocking the door frames! I had an oops and have a touch up I need to do. :bored: hahaha!

@smarttoys , John, GREAT article! Thank you for the resource.

@KarriB, Karri, thank you for your continued prayers. They are appreciated!
 
Oh ok - I misunderstood. Yes, that pain does go away with time. Hang in there!
 
Janis You poor thing if it isnt one thing its another. You really have to have a lot of patience with all that you have been through. :good-bad:
The only thing that is constant is that it will get better it is just taking a little longer in your case. I still have funny aches and my os told me today that this is all normal and that by six months we should really be feeling like our old selves and not worrying about the knee. At this time i have a bit of tendonitis on the right knee and have been told to massage with ice on the front of the knee. You freeze some dixie cups and then massage knee, maybe you could try that on the spot where it hurts up and down and side to side :heehee:. I hope it works for you. I have used the voltaren gel i do like it and it beats taking it by pill form.
Love the pup I am sure he will keep you quite busy.
Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way.
 
Hi Janis, sorry I have been out of touch. Just got internet installed today so I am back in the game!
Congrats on the new rescue dog! Took my German shepherd 3 days to calm down here in our new place. When we had to have our Rhodesian ridgeback put down about a year ago the gs wandered the house at night looking for her buddy. She grieved for about 5 days, they are so sensitive and intuitive. I hope with time your new beagle will adjust to the new surroundings.

How is your knee doing? Is the prednisone helping?
 
@macduf387, Madeleine, thank you for the hugs and positive thoughts! I really appreciate them.

@Glamg1979, he is still very timid. They are installing the fencing, so hopefully when he can take a good run, he will perk up. We could not have asked for a quieter dog!

The prednisone has been a nightmare. I read the package insert and you should not take it if you have active diverticulitis. Well.....I called the gastro, she said I shouldn't take it for two weeks until after the antibiotic I was on for the diverticulitis. Guess what? I had already been taking it. I called the OS, they said to call gastro, so I called the pharmacist to see how to stop it without a taper. Prednisone makes you more susceptible to infection. it has really set off the diverticulitis and the pain is getting worse. I am now having pain in my shoulders and neck. What the heck is that? Feels like I am bruised. The prednisone did seem to be helping the knee, but now, it is back to swollen. I am just about ready to give up. I do appreciate you checking in!
 
Hi Janis, hoping you're doing a little better with that pain you've been having. There are so many different parts to our knees!! Makes it tough to figure out why a certain area is hurting and what to do about it. Hope your beagle Charlie is settling in by now, it may take some time. We've had lots of snow and ice here. My beagle Daisy loves to go outside in our yard and eat ice !!! She comes back inside and wants to sit on my lap to warm up. Of course she's shivering like crazy from eating the ice, silly little girl. Hope you're doing OK and that things keep improving for you.
 
Having a difficult time figuring out if its too early to cut down on meds. I was eliminating 1 pill every 5 or 6 days. Maybe I should go down a half pill at a time, any advice ? Taking 50 mg Tylenol every 8 hours . wondering if it's better to go with a half pill every 4 hours as listed in the bonesmart library ???
 
Janis I am so sorry to hear of your second diverticulitis flare-up - you just can't seem to catch a break! We do end up on so many medications prescribed by different doctors, and they don't talk to each other like in the older days. I am thrilled to hear about your new dog, and hope that he decides he is safe and can open up soon. Hang in there as better times must be just ahead!
 
Your back and neck could be sore from tension due to the diverticulitis. A flare up so soon would make me tense all over! I hope you were able to wean down from prednisone. Then just try to elevate and ice to help with swelling. I hate pills! Did I ever tell you my potassium pill story?
 
Good morning. The sun is out and it is 19 degrees! BRRRRR!!!! We are expecting the coldest temperatures of the season over the next few days. I will remember this cold when the Summer rolls in with heat and humidity so thick you can cut it with a knife.

@karol723, Karol, Daisy must be freezing when she comes in! Your lap probably feels reallllly warm when she comes in! ha! I wish I could help you about your med taper. Perhaps tag one of the moderators on your thread. I have so much trouble with meds that it all just scares and confuses me. I do know that you should never quit morphine cold turkey! How are your pain levels? You will be in my prayers for guidance through this.

@New England Librarian, thank you. It does seem to be a bumpy road for sure. I am so thankful when I read that someone has had an easy time. You are right - doctors don't talk to each other and I am not a pharmacist- or anyone that understands all of this. I do know that I am extremely sensitive to meds and should be more vigilant. The problem seems doctors want to just write a script and send you on your way. Little Charlie is a cutie and he sometimes shows a little of his personality. GiGi (the cat) is about to give up on being friends with him I think. GiGi has definitely shown who is the pack leader!

@KarriB, I have not heard your potassium pill story! I was told to just stop the prednisone since I had only been on it for 6 days. I think I have solved the pain and tenderness puzzle. After a painful and sleepless night, I looked online and found it is a side effect of prednisone withdrawal (for some) to have this extreme tenderness. It literally feels as if you have been beaten up. Once again, my sensitivity to medications rears its ugly head. From what I have read, until your adrenal glands get leveled back out, this will continue. Oh bother. This too shall pass??? Hahahaha! I just really hate the diverticulitis has flared back up. I think the knee is probably reacting to the prednisone withdrawal also. Joint pain and swelling.

I wish everyone a day filled with joy. Even if you are having pain, cannot see the light at the end of tunnel, know that you are not alone and you will have better days. Some of us are just having a different journey. We WILL make it and our lives will be better one day. Be blessed.
 
Good morning Janis so sorry to hear you are having such a rotten time again. It is a problem with our doctors today to just prescribe medications without a second thought to how it affects the patient. You should really try and find a holistic Doctor I firmly believe in the use of alternative medicine and in your case it will probably do you the world of good. Hang in there I pray that today will be a much better day for you.
 
Janis I'm so sorry to hear about this latest flare up. You definitely deserve a break from all this. It's too bad that no one caught the possibility of the med reactions especially since your body reacts so violently to almost everyone you have been taking. I don't understand how the pharmacist wouldn't have caught it either. Hopefully the prednisone will get out of your system quickly.
 
((((((((((Janis)))))))))) I'm sorry you're having a rough time again. I hope the diverticulitis settles down soon.
As for the knee, it's still only a toddler and it's going to have aches and pains and be swollen if you do a bit too much for it. My last TKR knee would still swell at 6 months, if I did something out of the ordinary.

I hope that Charlie settles down soon. Poor chap, he hasn't realised yet that he has a forever home now.
Here in NZ, they use beagles as service dogs for people with severe hearing problems. I live near the training centre and I often see the dogs in training. They have an arrangement with our local supermarket, that allows the dogs in training to be taken in there, so that they can get used to doing things they will do with their new owners.
 
Hi Janis. Hate the cold and not thrilled by the stifling humidity and heat of summer either!! Therefore my favorite seasons are Spring and Fall.
I am so sorry your diverticulitis is flaring again from the prednisone. Good thing you did your research, you are your strongest advocate!!
Glad you are seeing some of Charlie's personality, I think beagles are great and would get one if I didn't have 2 German Shepherd and a very bossy mini-dachshund!!
Very, very slowly I am getting us settled in our new home. I am up doing stuff for about 20-30 minutes and then I have to rest .:bored: Was freezing last night but today is full of sunshine and warmth so I have been sitting out on our porch soaking it in!!
(((Hugs)))
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom