TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Janis, hope you and your new little beagle are getting along well. My 11 year old beagle, Daisy has been staying by my side since I came home from the hospital. It's so comforting, she really seems to understand !!! I had a small pit party for myself this morning ! I don't usually get that way, but I guess it just got to me. Went out to dinner with husbands family yesterday. Ended up sitting for. 3 hours, paid for that later big time!!! Also one of my sister in laws thought I should be fully recovered by now, that really annoyed me. Feeling better now. Hope you're doing well today.
,
 
@smarttoys . Thanks John. This is no ordinary dog. He was raised and ran in a pack. Charlie (his new name!) is having to learn wearing a collar, walking on a lead (using the bathroom on the lead!!!!), staying in a house, and living with a cat! I would love to know the training techniques they used with him. He is unresponsive to a whistle, ANY amount of calling, and could care less about food and treats- very unusual for a beagle I understand. I have never had a dog like this. It will definitely give me something to do. I have trained horses, countless dogs, and even my cat, but Charlie is indeed different. He will be two on the 19th. Do you know of any good training books?
 
@karol723. Karol, it is perfectly ok to have a pity party! Goodness know I have had my share. I call it sitting on the pity pot. I have to always remember to flush that pity pot and move on! :heehee: Dogs are so intuitive. I know it is comforting to have Daisy with you. When I first had surgery and would be laying in bed using the CPM, my cat would sit with me for hours on end. Sitting with my leg down really makes it swell and stiffen up. That is my biggest problem at work. Did your husband say anything to your SIL? I always try to mention that it is a LONG recovery. It realllllly is! I see the OS on Wednesday. I am a little afraid to see him since I don't feel my knee is where it should be right now. That one spot I feel I injured at PT is really bothering me and stops me from a lot of activity. If I do anything, my pain level is up to 8 in that spot and then the entire knee starts hurting. Hmmmm....this too shall pass?
 
Janis, I hope your OS can give you some insight to your medial pain.

I've always like the books by Patricia McConnell she uses humor and real world examples in dog training.

I don't read many training books but I have attended quite a few training classes in the past. If you have a good trainer in your area training classes can be a lot of fun. A good instructor can give you quite a few new ideas to try if the normal ones don't work. The instructor basically trains you, then you train the dog.

I would make sure Charlie is really settled in and has some good interaction with you and your husband before doing something like that though. Actually it's not recommended to even try to train your new dog for the first few weeks besides basic manners and house rules. Dogs can be stressed my their new environment so it takes awhile for their true personality to come out and settle in to a new home. Not taking treats can be a sign that Charlie is a bit stressed out. Just a few things I've picked up from working with shelter dogs at the Humane Society. The dogs are under a huge amount of stress so it can be hard to know their true personality. Some people return them before the dog gets a chance to settle in to their new home and come out of their shell.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious to hear what the OS says about that pain you have. It will be interesting to hear what motivates Charlie. :doggie:
 
Good evening. I had my checkup with the OS. It has been 12 weeks since I had my RTKR. I continue to have a very painful place on the medial side of the upper area beside the patella. My OS said that is the exact location a tendon is stitched together. I mentioned that I felt I hurt it at PT and he showed me where a muscle comes across that area also. He had me move my knee in full extension and said I could not do that if I had torn that tendon. He prescribed a prednisone pack to knock out the inflammation and help with the swelling. I am having x-rays tomorrow also. We shall see what they tell. He was pleased with my ROM and we both are REALLY pleased with my incision. His PA does the outer stitching. She does a great job. He also said I had done a great job massaging it to help it heal flat.
 
I was wondering how your appointment went. Sounds like he was pleased and everything is good. But would stitches still hurt after 12 weeks? Did you roll your eyes when he gave you another pill to take? I'm hoping the prednisone has NO side effects!
 
Janis,
That sounds like a good report. I hope you can get that medial pain straightened out soon. One less thing to worry about.
 
Hi Janis, glad your visit with your OS went well. Hopefully the prednisone will clear up the inflammation and rid you of that pain. I'm doing OK, just get so achy by dinnertime. That's usually when I find myself limping, so its time for ice & elevation. Sounds like your new beagle "Charlie" might be adjusting to all the changes in his life. As John said, if he's not that interested in food & treats (highly unusual for a beagle) he probably is a little stressed and confused about how he's supposed to act. My rescue Buddy was afraid to get out of his bed for the first day, even peed in it ! He took a few weeks to settle in and realize we weren't going to hurt him. From the way he acted I'm sure he was mistreated before we got him. Another thing about beagles is they have selective hearing ! When we rescued Buddy they thought he had a hearing problem. I had beagles before so I thought he might be just being a beagle, fortunately I was right. He can hear me opening the treat box from 2 rooms away - ha, ha !
 
Thanks everyone! @KarriB, he said there could be scarring around where the stitches were - from the healing. You are right! Hopefully, no side effects from this one. I had it before, but it was during the morphine, so I am not sure what side effects were all mixed in! Hahaha!

@karol723, Charlie is starting to settle in. He even wagged his tail today! THat is a big step. You are right about the selective hearing! It is going to make training a little more challenging. We just gave him a bath. Talk about having a hard time squatting and bending over the tub!

@smarttoys, Thanks John! Yes, it would be nice not to worry about it.
 
Hi Janis good report from the os, I am going next Tuesday for my 12 week checkup. I had pt today and Friday will be my last one. Yay I am ready 0 extension and 130 flex ion quite happy with that. ☺️
Sounds like you have your hands full with your new 4 legged kid. Hang in there you will get there and these past few weeks will be but a distant memory. :dogwalk:
Take care now.
 
Hi Janis How is your new little beagle? How are you doing? Did you get your Xrays done? :sneaker:
 
@newlybionic ..Marion, Charlie is still adjusting to his new home. He is very calm and docile right now. I think in another week, he hopefully will be more "alive" and not so timid. We are still working on the leash training and getting him used to the routine.

I had the X-rays and have a copy, although I don't know anything about them! Hahaha! I finally finished the last round of antibiotics the gastroenterologist prescribed today. Either the diverticulitis is coming back or the prednisone (for the knee) is starting the diarrhea back up. Ho hum... I am also back in the thigh high compression stocking per OS to help with the swelling. It is a pistol to get on and is not a flattering look with my fat thigh squished out at the top :heehee: although it gives support to the knee. That does feel good. The pain is slightly better - I am thinking. Always good to be hopeful.:angel: Thank you for asking.

I read your post on your thread. I am sorry you are not doing well. It is really great to have the help of your daughter and son in law. I am glad they helped out. I worry how you are going to make it until surgery. Don't be afraid to accept help. Now that your training is over, what's next? How much longer do you have to work? You are in my prayers.
 
Janis I hope the diverticulitis is not acting up again. As far as my job is concerned I finished with my first part of orientation. The remainder is not as tough. I have a one day class Thursday and hour away and the first week of March I have another week away class. No test this time. I have no idea how long after I see the OS on the 24th there would be an opening on his schedule. It's all wait and see right now.
 
Our former 1st grade aide bred beagles and belonged to some sort of "beagle club". I hear it takes a while for adopted pets to feel secure, but I'm sure you're just what he needs and the other way around too. Hoping it's the prednisone bringing back your symptoms.
 
Good evening! I heard from my X-rays and the PA said they looked perfect! What a relief. The OS thinks my pain may be from scar tissue ( where the ligament is sewn) and told me to try the Voltaren gel on the sore places. I still think it is from PT. That's my story and I am sticking to it! :shrug::heehee: PA said to keep up with my recumbent. The prednisone has helped the pain, although the diverticulitis seems to have come back. I read the drug leaflet and it said that prednisone was not good to take with active diverticulitis. How do you know what to do?? I have a call in to my gastroenterologist for advice. What helps one thing hurts another. "Oh bother" as Eeyore would say! Ha! Here is a shot of one of the X-rays. I have no idea what is normal or not - but isn't it pretty cool that we can see this?? Even though it has been hell at times during recovery, and the road is long with some pretty deep potholes, just imagine the medical miracle that has been performed on our knees! Never lose the wonder of it all.
[Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
 
Janis, your x-ray looks nice, but like you, what do I know? I sure hope you can get the diverticulitis straightened out soon. Say hi to Charlie for me.
 
Nice Xray. It is really cool to actually see what was done to our knees. (At least I think it is :snork:). I'm sorry the prednisone is causing some problems. It seems each medication seems to help some part of the body and hurts another part of it all at the same time. That's probably how so many people wind up on a large number of medicines. It is a real balancing act. I hope the voltare helps your pain.
 
@smarttoys and @newlybionic

Thank you John. The diverticulitis does present some issues - especially with scheduling my day and dealing with the pain. Charlie is really something else. He is so shy and headstrong at the same time. We are working so hard at trying to win his trust, yet today, after a week, he seems to have just decided he wants to be alone. The leash training is not going very well either. He HAS to be on a leash - we live in the city limits. Hopefully the fence will be installed next week??? Or at least started. If he was just motivated by treats or even affection, it would be a start. I guess at almost 2, his socialization is far behind and still limited to his pack mentality. The cat tried, but she has given up! Hahaha! Any thoughts? I have been watching and reading everything I can find.

Marian, thank you. I guess my problem is....the medicines! I just can't seem to take anything without experiencing the side effects. I do hope the Voltaren gel will help. I had used it before the surgery, but it did not make a difference, although it is a different kind of pain now. You continue to be in my prayers for a successful outcome to your revision.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom