TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janis I think that you really don't need to do much exercising. Think of everything you are doing during the day from getting up, getting ready, getting to work, work itself, getting back home again, etc. Thats more than enough to do. As time goes on and the swelling goes down and you don't need to ice so much that's when you could add in some exercising.
 
Janis i agree with everyone else I think you are doing enough exercise at the moment especially on the days you are working. Get home relax elevate ice. You can ride the bike on weekends dont feel guilty I find I am doing more than enough walking according to my fitbit :snork: and at the end of the day I still feel pooped. I make dinner and then grab my ice pack and the tv remote and just sit and relax in front of the fire. I must say I am sleeping a lot better than before surgery which is great. Our knees are definately still the boss. :wink:
Hang in there I too get frustrated I even tried doing the workout with my daughter this week because I was feeling good and boy did I pay for it last night, I even took a tylenol which I havent been doing.
Have a great weekend we are off to play in the desert me just to watch the others for now but it will be good.
:cheers:
 
With my RTKA I would get frustrated that I wasn't advanced as I thought I should be my physical therapist always reminded me to give myself a break. With time it gets to where you want it. You'll get to days where you won't even think of your knee. With my LTKA I'm so laid back with the recovery. I do no exercises outside of what I did in pt. I paid big for these knees - in money, blood, sweat and tears. No need to push your rehab. You'll get there.
 
Just checking in to see how you are doing. I haven't been online as much lately but doesn't mean I wasn't thinking of you.
Packing has been brutal!! I go to bed and fall asleep almost immediately.
 
I haven't ridden my bike since last weekend and I'm not recovering and transitioning back to work. I'm just stinking tired at the end of the day! Don't worry about anything on work days. You'll get to the point where you aren't too tired, but with all your other "symptoms" I'm not surprised you don't feel like exercising.
 
Thank you all for your insight, advice, and relating your experiences about exercising and work. Yesterday, since I did not work, we went for a walk and then I rode my floor cycle. My knee is reallllly painful today. I have two places that are very painful. It is just so frustrating. Caution: whine coming......I know we all have our own recoveries, I know our knees are boss, I know it is a long recovery.....BUT.....I am so tired of not moving forward and it always being one thing after another. I want to be able to write on here that I had a day I didn't think about my knee, that I had a normal day, that my pain is less, that I was gaining ROM, that I can fully straighten my knee......ok....whine over. I thank God every day that He has brought me this far and I know He will see me through this. I thank you all for your support and friendship. This too shall pass.


@Glamg1979, thank you for thinking about me when you are so busy. Have you moved yet? How's that jacuzzi? I imagine you are exhausted!! I am on Kelflex now. The diarrhea has slowed, but the abdominal pain has not. I do hope it stops soon so I don't have to have endoscopy or another CT. Take some time to rest! You don't want to wear yourself down too much.
 
@Timetolive, I understand about wanting to have a normal day where you don't think about your knees. That's my dream too.

I'm planning a walk this afternoon, but I know I'll be thinking my knees the entire time. :shrug:
 
I think it's good to have those whiney days. Believe me, I have lots of them. It was a good 6 months before I didn't think of my right knee. With this knee I may have a day here and there where my knee feels good. In pt I was stuck at the same flexion number for 4 weeks and it was frustrating. I know numbers shouldn't be a big deal but it was to me because it's a goal to accomplish. Yesterday I did pool therapy and last night my knee bothered me with a painful spot and a sensitive scar. It's just the way it is. Your knee heals how it wants. But it's healing. And you're making small advances wether you think so or not. I think it was 1 to 1 1/2 yrs for my right knee to feel completely normal. You're at 11 weeks so I think you're on track. Don't compare your recovery to everyone else's.

Today and tomorrow (or more) take a break from any form of exercise. But if you go for a walk let that be it. No other exercise. Or just bike but no walks. Maybe your body with everything it's trying to do needs TLC right now. Focus on getting your gut healed. With everything you do in life - work, cooking, shopping etc. your knee is getting enough exercise and won't suffer from not having daily exercise (walking, biking, bands etc). Once your stomach is healed then work on your knee more. Be kind to yourself!!
 
I will be at 8 weeks soon, seems so much longer than that ! I don't so much get whiney as cranky & grouchy ! I know when I start to feel that way it's time to stop what I'm doing & take care of myself. Usually that means getting off my feet, icing & elevating. No point in being stubborn about it, my knee wins every time. Learning to rest before and after being active has helped. Such a balance tho - if I'm in one position for too long, everything stiffens up, if I'm on my feet too long the pain begins. Finding a balance in all of this sure is a challenge for all of us, isn't it ? Stay strong everyone !!!
 
I am back to work & don't do any exercise when I get home just elevate & ice as my leg does swell during the day. I too work in an office, the up & down & use my chair on wheels to do exercises during the day so I feel that is enough. At weekends I just do some light exercises & rest in between.
 
I want to be able to write on here that I had a day I didn't think about my knee, that I had a normal day, that my pain is less, that I was gaining ROM, that I can fully straighten my knee

Hang in there Janis. Your good days will come. The problem is that in these earlier days of recovery a good day is usually followed by a bad one. I also look forward to the day that I don't have swelling and the odd clunks and painful spots.
 
.I am so tired of not moving forward and it always being one thing after another. I want to be able to write on here that I had a day I didn't think about my knee, that I had a normal day, that my pain is less, that I was gaining ROM, that I can fully straighten my knee......ok....whine over.
You're allowed to whine, and this is the place to do it, because we've all been there.

It's not 3 months yet since your surgery and better times are going to come. You will get good days and days when you don't even think about your knee. You'll also get days (like now) when progress seems to plateau, but you will move forward again.

Recovery isn't a linear progression. It's two steps forward and one step back, with many pauses along the way. But all the time, your knee is quietly healing itself. There are times when it needs to take a rest from forward progression and just consolidate what it has achieved. That's why you seem to stall for a while.

I know it's hard to be patient, but it will be worth it in the end.
 
Janis, You have come across mountains, deserts, over waterfalls and dug through mud pits to get where you are! Step back and appreciate all that your body has been through in a mere 2 1/2 MONTHS. Breathe deeply and BELIEVE that you ARE making progress, you WILL see/feel more improvement as time goes on. And this time next year we will all look back and think how amazing this recovery has been now that we are at our new normal with our bionic knees!! BIG hugs!
 
I think I'm the queen of whining. It helps to get it out with people who can understand what you are going through. Always feel free to whine if you need to.

You are getting better every day. Go back and read your thread from the beginning and see how much you've been through and how much better you are now. :friends:
 
Awww, thanks everyone. I know I should be grateful for the recovery I have had. Thank you all for reminding me why I come to Bonesmart and how blessed I am.
 
Sure, you're grateful for the recovery, but you wouldn't be human if you didn't have days when you just feel so frustrated at slow progress. Allow yourself those days, without feeling bad. :friends:
 
As to exercise after work, it depends on the day. I had a day last week where I walked three miles at work, per my phone app. That was a come home and ice and elevate day. Other days I do the bike and light strength exercise. I feel like the bike helps with the swelling, so I do it for 10 to 20 min depending on how I am feeling. The last couple days I have had this terrible cold that is going around, so I am mostly laying around with some icing and elevating in there. I just don't feel up to doing much with this stuffy head
 
Janis, good luck with the new beagle. Remember that is takes a few weeks for a new dog to settle in to his or her new home and surroundings :puppysmooze: and to get used to a new routine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom