TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news about your brother! My husband was diagnosed with terminal non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and given six months to live, 30 years ago. There was no chemo available for his type of lymphoma at the time, and he got very radical radiation treatments that were really rough on his body. I have always believed in food as medicine, and he is the more typical junk-food type eater. Over the years, I have slowly mostly changed his poor eating habits. He survived two more bouts of lymphoma and radiation. About three years ago, I started vegetable juicing once daily. He reluctantly humored me and would drink the fresh juice. I instinctively knew that something wasn't right with him and wanted to get as many nutrients into his body as possible. He was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer. The prognosis was not good and he could not have surgery. The radiologist-oncologist told him of all the horrible side effects that he was going to suffer during and after radiation treatments. Luckily, they found no metastasis. I did a lot of research and changed up my juicing to better aid his body during and after the treatments. The doctor was amazed that he suffered none of the expected side effects. So far, so good. As far as the Cipro, you may want to ask your doctor if there is an alternative antibiotic that could be used. I, too, have a multitude of drug allergies/sensitivities and can empathize with your situation. Good luck to you.


BTKR 12/28/2015

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Janis what wonderful news about your brother! :yay::yes!:

Your GI doctor knows the black box warning on Cipro and your recent TKR. I think it's basically there for people that have ruptured tendons easily. I would give her a call to discuss this so you feel better about the choice of this antibiotic.
 
Thanks everyone! My brother had prostate cancer before the colon cancer. His first wife had Large Cell D Lymphoma and he took care of her until her death. There was no Hospice Home where they live, so he nursed him herself. A Hospice nurse came once a week to help him get enough morphine to keep her comfortable. He lives in Oregon. A week after she died, he called and asked if I could come out there and be with him since he had just been diagnosed with cancer. What a shock. Of course, I was on a plane in 2 days and stayed until he recovered from his prostate cancer surgery. He beat that cancer and then a year later had a heart attack. They were unable to life flight him to the big hospital in Portland, due to ice fog, so it took 2 hours for the ambulance to get him to the hospital. he now has 50% heart function. While in the hospital for his heart, he was passing blood and they tested him. His colon cancer was found then. It was tested 3 times to be sure it wasn't prostate cancer. I flew out to Oregon again to be with him. It has been a hard journey for him. I wish you all knew him. Even when given less than a year to live, he LIVED his life to the fullest. I am so proud of him. He is my little brother and I have always been protective of him. Please, if you have a man (husband, son, significant other, friend, brother, or father) in your life you love, get him to have his prostate checked. My brother was 50 years old. There are different forms of prostate cancer and it is not a disease of only old men.

I did call my gastroenterologist this morning and expressed my concerns. She had no problem prescribing another antibiotic, Keflex. @Celle, I had already seen my GP three times during these 6 weeks. She said we would just need to see if the gastroenterologist had any other ideas. @Josephine, I understand I will always have diverticulosis, the doctor felt I still have the infection and that is what is causing my continued pain and diarrhea. It surely has been a long journey! Thank you.
 
I'm so glad to hear that your gastroenterologist prescribed a substitute antibiotic. Isn't it good when someone is helpful like that?
 
So, Keflex side effects aren't too bad? My friend, Susan was on Keflex in December when her hand got infected after trigger finger surgery.
Your brother sounds like a man of perseverance and courage! So happy to hear all is well!
 
@KarriB, the Keflex is the usual - nausea, diarrhea (oh brother!), vomiting, headache, chills, fever, constipation, skin rash.....much more appealing than a tendon rupture! So, feel like you have the flu for 10 days.:dead:
 
Let's hope that you don't experience those side effects! You're due to be able to take at least one med without suffering side effects. I have problems with some antibiotics but some I can't take without any problem at all. :fingersx:
 
That's great, Marian and must give her some hope and peace of mind. Janis, Susan had some side effects, but because of the VIPoma she always has stomach issues with antibiotics. Maybe this will be the medicine that you take that gives you NO side effects!
 
@Timetolive keflex seems to be the antibiotic of choice for those of us with bionic knees at least it's what my os prescribes. I must admit I don't like the taste and was happy when I finished the 10 days for cellulitis. It did work cleared the cellulitis right up. I hope it does the same for you without any side effects.
 
Amazing news about your brother!! :loveshwr:
What a lift to the spirits--ours as well as yours and your family's.

Can you OS and your gastroenterologist talk to each other to weigh the risks and benefits of cipro?
I googled cipro tendon risk and got a few medical journal articles. I like to read the synopsis at the beginning of these and the summary/conclusions at the end. I think it helps me when I talk with my doctor. Just a thought.
 
@jarabas, Thank you. We are all very excited and feeling blessed for my brother. I actually called my gastro dr. The next day and she was very happy to switch me to Keflex. She wanted me to be comfortable with the antibiotic prescribed. I am taking that now. The only side effect so far is a headache. I can deal with that. I am taking the probiotic Florastor to hopefully counter the diarrhea and C-Diff risk that these broad spectrum are so notorious for. I am having some abdominal pain still, but my diarrhea is better. Thank you for your post! I have my checkup with my OS next week, so I can discuss this with him also for future references - good suggestion.
 
I can empathize with you about having problems with pain meds. I had to stop taking them a little more than two weeks after my surgery. It does certainly make recovery tougher.
I don't know how you cope without pain meds.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
I have a question for all of you that have returned to work. After sitting at the computer, getting up and down from my chair (for what seems 100 times during the day), and just the general movements of work, my knee is swollen and painful. I try to elevate, although the painful area I have on the medial side of the kneecap make this painful. My question: are you coming home and exercising? I am coming home, grabbing my ice packs and "chillaxing" !! I feel I should be doing the recumbent bike riding and walking my OS wants me to do, but my knee is just too painful.

My energy levels are in the subterranean basement of slothdom. I realize the energy drain from surgery combined with the 6 weeks of stomach issues are requiring a lot from my body. Is there anything to help this? I feel I need to try to build myself up somehow. I am really being conscious of my protein intake and my fluids. Any ideas?

Wishing you all a day filled with sunshine, warmth, and ice packs that never melt!
 
@theresav, it is very tough at times. Very. The PA at the OS's office said I would need the pain pills to be able to recover and do the extension and flexion exercises. Josephine also mentioned you need them to recover. I wish there was something that those of us that are very sensitive could take. I take Tylenol when I can't stand the pain and use ice. You get through it. Thank goodness for Saran Wrap at night and a loving husband!
 
My question: are you coming home and exercising?

I've been working 8 hours every day (M-F), office work, since I hit 7 weeks post op. Only twice did I leave early because of pain I just didn't want to deal with while sitting at my desk. I don't have any way to elevate during the day and have had quite a bit of swelling most days. When I get home each night, I rest, elevate, and ice for the entire evening. Some days after work, I even go grocery shopping before heading home. Those days really throw me for a loop, but I get through them with the ice........it's a life saver. Anyway, the only time I ride my recumbant bike is on the days it feels pretty good.........usually on the weekends. Otherwise, my leg is getting quite a bit of exercise with the up and down and walking around. Of course, the swelling is getting less and less with time. :thumb:
 
Hi Janis,
I was joking at work that it would be nice if the owner would buy an exercise bike so I could pedal and limber up in the middle of the day.

I am a morning exercise person so I would always work out before I go to work. It helps to limber me up for the day. I do the same now and it helps. When I get home I ice and elevate for about an hour. Right now the last thing I want to do is exercise at the end of the day after being on my feet for 5-6 hours.

Hopefully by spring I can build myself up to my normal 10 hour days and still be able to take my evening walk with the dogs and bicycle ride with the kids.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do no exercise when I get home. For now work is enough. When I am at work and if I'm sitting at my desk I make sure I stretch my leg out and do quad tightening that pushes the knee down (good for extension) and I bend my leg back and roll my chair forward to get a good stretch (good for flexion). I also make sure I take several laps around the inside of the bldg throughout the day. At this stage in recovery work & life is enough exercise. If you're coming home with a swollen knee the best thing is elevation and icing. That's what I did on my RTKA and my knee is fine (0-130).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom