Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Timetolive the pain you're describing almost sound like a tendon strain. Maybe patellar tendon? On my first tka I had a sharp pain in my knee everytime I stood up or sat down. I had that for weeks. PT thought tendinitis. With time it resolved itself. But I did a lot of icing. I iced at work and for hours after I got home from work. I've watched a complete tka surgery and it's amazing what your muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones go through with this surgery. It's brutal. And it just takes months for that to calm down. 2 weeks after my left tka I got up off the couch (which was too low for that stage of recovery) and I heard a loud pop and the most intense, sharp pain in my new knee. I swore I tore something. My knee felt unstable and buckled for a few weeks. I talked to my OS and PT about it and they didn't seem too concerned. And sure enough it did calm down and I've had no issues with it since. Your knee will have lots of pangs etc over that year of healing. I'll still get some in my right knee a year and a half later.
I would suggest to ice more and give your OS a call. You should be close to your 3 month post op visit (if your surgeon does that). If not I would even call and just talk to the nurse. Just to give you some peace of mind.
 
@Josephine, do you have any insight in what this pain could be coming from in this area?
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<


[Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
 
Took me awhile to catch up on this thread! If you are serious about exploring food sensitivities, you should probably do an elimination diet, and then slowly add foods back in. In the last few years I found out I have a problem with milk protein (think whey, milk, powdered milk, yogurt). Amazing where whey and powdered milk can be hidden in processed foods! For me it causes "gastric distress" :chuckmarch:, and swelling, and achy joints - I especially could tell with my knee.

I took a blood test to find the foods I might be sensitive to (they quiz you on your eating habits first). Then I did the elimination diet, which apparently is the "gold standard" of determining food allergies/sensitivities. Then I slowly added foods back in. All of this was through someone who specialized in food allergies/sensitivities.

Oh , and yes, Tillamook cheese is wonderful! Interestingly, I have much less problems with cheese, probably because the protein is in a different form (casein instead of whey). I do still have it, but only occasionally.

I also have pain on the medial side of my knee, but it is higher up than yours B-C-LF3, and it is only when I do certain things, like push off from a low chair. Less painful than yours, too. My doc thought it might be from the healing of the incision on the fascia around the joint. Where he cut the fascia is not directly under where the surface scar is. Anyway, mine seems to be lessening, so I'm not too worried. I'll see how it is at my March appointment.

Good luck with everything!
 
Thanks @nerdgrrl for the information on the food allergies. My daughter is allergic to whey - she breaks out. She bought some sausage and it had whey as an ingredient! Lots of label reading for sure. I am glad your pain is getting better. Continued healing!
 
Good evening. I FINALLY had my gastroenterologist appointment today. After talking with her and being examined, she feels that I have not been properly treated for the diverticulitis and it has never healed. So, she wants me to take Cipro for 10 days. We picked up the prescription on the way back into town and I sat down to read the information. My husband calls me the Queen of Side Effects and it is the truth. Well, the most prominent side effect of Cipro - and the reason it has been blackboxed by the FDA - is tendon rupture. Goodness knows, I don't want that to happen while healing my new knee! I already suspect the ligament or something is strained or torn in the knee now. These drugs are so scarey to someone that is sensitive. I don't want to come across as a person that reads horror stories on the Internet. The pharmacy along with their literature, printed out the warning from the FDA about this drug. Big decisions to make. I am also on a low residue diet now - that means white and no fiber - Hahahaha! We will see how that impacts the pain and diarrhea. And to think, all I wanted was a new knee! The doctor did agree that the morphine was so constipating it did not help the colon.

On much happier note: my youngest brother that had Stage 4 Colon Cancer and given less than a year to live- two years ago, is now cancer free!!!! God is great!!! He attributes his recovery to AHCC, grape seed extract, and an oil made from cannibis. He is also on a very strict diet now. His last conventional treatment was in 2013 when they told him there was nothing left to do. I just had to share some GREAT news!
:yay::happydance::yes!::cheers::egypdance::prayer::prayer::praying::praying::prayer::prayer::egypdance::cheers::yes!::yay:
 
Great news about your brother!! Sorry about the Cipro. I know the don't give me Cipro because I have problems with my Achilles tendons, Had a partial tear in one of them and major tendinitis.
 
Amazing news about your brother .:wowspring:
I am hearing more and more of these stories. I personally think processed foods, chemicals, sugar is causing much grief and illness. The modern American diet is awful.
I ate wheat free grain free and sugar free for over a year before I had my surgery. Felt pretty good, with less pain, more energy and no gastric issues.
Since surgery hubby hates to cook so when we ran out of my premade frozen meals we have done take out and processed food. Yuck! We have been popping Tums almost every night along with Zantac.
When daughter moves in with us she wants to eat wheat free, so with her help we are going to do it!! It is a lot of work and everything is freshly made.
I know your brother definitely thinks it is worth it!
Really wonderful news!! :flwrysmile:
 
Great news about your brother! Truly miraculous. But I am sorry to hear you need another round of potent antibiotics... and don't blame you at all for being so cautious. Medicine has brought us many miracles but we must always calculate the risks. Hope you find that this last round does the trick!
 
Awesome news about your brother! I'm sure you spent many hours on your knees (not literally) praying for him. God is good!
I hope the Cipro does exactly what the gastro wants it to do and nothing to your knee or tendons. But you must be relieved to hear this. :thumb:
 
Wonderful news about your brother ! Miracles do happen. Hope the Cipro works for you. I am also sensitive to meds, allergic to Cipro ! With me it caused swelling. Hope it works for you.
 
You could always call your GI dr and explain your concerns and ask if there is anything else you could try. You also mentioned having to switch your diet. Google FodMap diet and check it out. My sister was having problems similar to yours and her dr put her on this diet. It's a good plan for those who suffer with irritable bowel- diarreha. It healed her gut, given her energy etc. and a side affect of weigh loss. She says she'll never go back to how she was eating before because that's how good she feels. Just a thought.
 
Great news about your brother Janis @Timetolive sorry to hear more antibiotics for you I would be very wary as well. Have you tried finding a holistic Doctor maybe natural remedies will work better and not be so taxing on your system. I go to a holistic chiropractor and he is great in figuring out what's wrong with you.
Hope you feel better soon.

:flwrysmile::) :flwrysmile:
 
Great news about your brother, Janis! :yes!::happydance::yay::flwrysmile:

I guess that now you have to weigh up the risks of Cipro against the possible benefit of treating your diverticulitis. Do you think your regular doctor could give you an informed assessment?
 
she feels that I have not been properly treated for the diverticulitis and it has never healed
To my knowledge, diverticulitis never actually heals, it just goes into remission from time to time.
the most prominent side effect of Cipro - and the reason it has been blackboxed by the FDA - is tendon rupture.
:yikes: :shocked:
 
I agree with Josephine. That is what my dr told me when he discovered that I had diverticulitis during a colonoscopy. I was treated with antibiotics. And he said I will always have diverticulosis and what to watch for with a flare up (diverticulitis).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom