TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy your surgery went well, and sorry the meds are making you sick. I hope you start feeling better very soon:)
 
Hi Timetolive
I have great empathy for you...I Had some pretty severe nausea, also. Moving from bed to chair seemed to make it worse. One evening a nurse gave me a compazine suppository that lasted all night. Next morning I moved to chair and was super nauseated. Intravenously I got zofran, compazine....no help. Then benadryl intravenously, within minutes back in bed and out like a light. Felt good when I woke and ate that day. I 'm pretty sure at that time they put an anti-nausea patch on me that I kept on for 2 weeks. Have they tried that? Unfortunately, I don't know what I was taking for pain. I think the final drug they gave me to take home was norpro which is vicodin /tylenol.

Keep us posted.
 
Praying for you, that the nausea has gone away and you're not in too much pain.
 
Thank you all for the good thoughts and well wishes. I am now home. This morning after a night from hell, I told my nurses we had to have a meeting and get this under control. It appears @Clipless that I am one of those with a severe reaction of nausea to the dialudid. I stopped that and I am now on 30 mg of MS Contin (long acting morphine):chillpill: and 15 mg of MSIR (short acting morphine) every three hours for break through pain. I can take 2 of those if needed. The main pain is behind my knee and calf - PA says the sciatic nerve and the hamstring. I am unable to straighten my knee all the way. I was also given a prednisone pack for inflammation, zarelto for blood thinner, colace and miralaz. Zofran and Reglen for nausea if needed. CPM for 6 hours (2-2-2) and gentle PT. Home health and home PT will call tomorrow.

Thank you for moving my thread to Post-Op and the articles listing. I read them all before surgery. :ok:

Anyone have thoughts about the behind the knee pain? I am icing where the tourniquet was and on the inside of te knee. Dr. wants no ice over incision.
 
A lot of us get that back-of-knee pain. It fades away as you regain mobility. Definitely ice it. I'm a little over a month post op and finally getting a break in that painful area.
 
Thank you for moving my thread to Post-Op and the articles listing. I read them all before surgery.
You may want to read some of the articles again, as they'll seem more relevant now. In any case, they're all in your thread now, for ready reference.

You can ice the back of your knee as well. that should help with the pain.

Once you are home again, you can ice over the entire knee area, as long as you make sure you have something (a kitchen towel, or similar) between your knee and the ice. Ice both front and back of your knee at the same time.

I'm glad you are getting your pain meds sorted out and I hope your pain and nausea are now controlled better.
 
I'm not sure what your doctor means by no ice over incision. I had ice packs all the way around the knee. My knee took a while to straighten but it eventually got there on its own. I'm glad you finally have found a pain combination that works for you. :console2:
 
Thanks @newlybionic . The PA says that the ice slows down the blood flow and thus healing of the incision. Makes sense, although there are thousands of people that ice their incisions and do fine.
 
What the PA says does not apply to this recovery. Icing your knee decreases pain and will reduce swelling.
 
I do get a lot of relief when I ice the back of my knee, it really is amazing.
Know you are glad to be home and it is good that you have found the right combination of pills for pain relief!! Great job speaking up for yourself while in the hospital, I believe this forum gives us the education and support that enables us to do just that and not to blindly accept whatever the medical staff says.
Welcome home!
 
Good morning. I took the long and short morphine at 10 pm. and slept until 3:00 a.m. Got up to go potty and took a little walk. It was very stiff and hard to walk- I was hoping to loosen it up some. Went back to bed and just rested. Got up @7 and trying to figure out all the meds. Has anyone had hiccups? I am also having some itching - I guess from the morphine. No rash. I am going to try to only take the short acting morphine for break through. Drinking lots of water and took Colace.

Thank you all for the support. @Glamg1979 , you are right. The forum gave me (who would normally not say anything) to speak up for myself. My daughter was invaluable also when I was foggy. Everyone needs an advocate. @Celle , @Lesan , and @Vangheluwec , thank you for your messages.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom