TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so sure I have them sorted out. Just took a benadryl for the itching and seem to have some trouble swallowing - like reflux...
 
Timetolive so glad to see you on the other side my turn tomorrow. Sorry to see you are not having much luck with the pain meds. You need to get off the Dilaudid there are many people myself included that get violently ill from Dilaudid. Mmm this was supposed to post earlier I see you are now at home all the best for a good recovery. I am glad you got off the Dilaudid.
 
Hi @Timetolive and congratulations on making it to the other side! I had hiccups about 10 or 12 times on my first post-op day! The nurses told me it was normal and could be either from the medication or the anesthesia (I had general anesthesia and was intubated). It got pretty frustrating as they wanted me to drink and eat so I could move to oral pain meds, but every time I tried I got the hiccups! The good news is that the following day I had no hiccups, and haven't had a day like that since! Some symptoms of TKR following TKR are serious but fortunately some like this are just annoying! (At least in my case) Hang in there.
 
Just a quick hello from a fellow traveler. Hope you are feeling better and getting the meds sorted out.
 
Thank you everyone! The hiccups have really been rough today. @New England Librarian , they are very weird! it also seems as if my food is not going all the way down sometimes. Good thing I am not hungry! Yes @Celle , I am being very careful about having something on my stomach to help avoid any nausea. Thank goodness, it has been minimal. In fact, I haven't taken the Zofran or Reglan at all today.

Good luck tomorrow @macduf387! I will be watching out for you on the other side.

It has been a strange day trying to get in a routine with DH. His back is bothering him (an unusual thing for him), so he has been on the heating pad. My daughter stopped by after work to check on us and brought flowers. I think I will "need" something tomorrow so DH can get out of the house for a bit. My brother came over and made me some blocks to under the front of my rocker recliner so it would not go all the down in front. It makes it easier to get up now.

The urologist's office called back about the 24 hour catch and said I need to drink more - didn't have enough volume. Lordy, it is hard enough going to the bathroom now! I also have to have the parathyroid checked to see if there is a small tumor there causing the kidney stones.

O.K., personal question: my itching is mostly confined to my chest area. Has anyone had that problem or do you think it is just a side effect from the morphine? @macduf387 , I NEVER want to see another Dilaudid!

Thank you all again. I hope in some small way I can help someone as much as y'all have helped me.
 
No professional opinion, but from my personal experience, the meds definitely cause itching! You'll get into a routine at home, but it will take a few days. Just reduce your expectations, rest and let things( and people! ) take care of themselves! Drink lots of fluids! Your body needs them to help flush out all of those drugs! And eat some protein. Not advocating steak, but ice cream or yogurt or cottage cheese... Whatever you feel like. Your body needs it to help heal.
Hugs and prayers coming your way!
 
I also have to have the parathyroid checked to see if there is a small tumor there causing the kidney stones.
I hope your test is negative. Mine was positive. I did have a rogue parathyroid that was the cause of my kidney stones. I had that parathyroid removed and - no more kidney stones. :yes!:
 
@Celle , thank you for sharing that! There is just too much going on at once. I also have to go have the liver panel for Alkaline Phospatase rechecked. It is nice to hear a good outcome.

Anyone have experiece with the compression thigh highs when you have a "cone" shaped leg? (small ankle, medium calf, and very large thigh) I cannot keep it from rolling down and acting like a tourniquet where it stops.
 
Anyone have experience with the compression thigh highs when you have a "cone" shaped leg? (small ankle, medium calf, and very large thigh) I cannot keep it from rolling down and acting like a tourniquet where it stops.
If the thigh high compression stockings are doing that, they're doing you no good and could be causing harm. Ask if you can remove them. I'd take them off anyway, but that's just me.

The jury is still out on whether those compression hose do anything to prevent blood clots, or not.

Make sure that you do plenty of ankle pumps and walk around the house a bit.
 
Hi @Timetolive It is a difficult balance to go through with the meds and their side effects. If the morphine is causing you problems there are other pain medications available. I had to go through a few variations and was put on meds for excess acid in my stomach. I had one doctor tell me to drink more water to help stomach problems while another one told me to cut back because some of my blood tests were off. You'll get through this. Hang in there!! I hope you get some sleep tonight.:sleep:
 
Good morning!

@Celle, I will call the PA today and check about the hose. I have researched and know they have larger sizes for the thighs. A nurse suggested I visit a medical supply place in the city where I had the surgery, which is 40 minutes away, and I just cannot do that drive yet. The drain holes are not closed yet, so I also wanted to let them close up first to avoid ANY risk of infection. Do you think I would be safe ordering a larger size on the internet? I am supposed to wear them 2-3 weeks and custom ones would take 2 weeks to get they said.

@newlybionic , the morphine is the only thing that does not make me vomit and so nauseous. I was happy to find it, although the itching is getting to be irritating. I had an abnormal liver value, so until that comes back to normal, they are hesitant to give me Tylenol. I am sleeping fairly well - 4-5 hours at a time. I did start sleeping on my side - haven't asked the OS about that - need to find out....

Still having pain from the sciatic nerve down the back of my leg and the hamstring. :gaah:
 
Good morning @Timetolive. I'm sorry to know what you've been going through. I don't get hiccups very often, but when I do they're awful. The only way I can get them to stop is to do the breathing into a paper bag trick. For me they stop in a couple minutes. Obviously your situation is different, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. You're in my prayers.

Kelly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom