TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you got in to see the dr. and hoping you get some relief this weekend.
 
Hang in there my dear friend I feel so bad that you have had such a rotten time. I pray that you start feeling better after coming off all the Meds. I hate taking meds at the best of times so this has been very foreign to me taking so much pain medication over the last month. Maybe getting off everything will be your turning point.
Sending lots of hugs.
 
Goodness, what a rough week you are having. Opioid withdrawal is just plain terrible, and the antibiotic probably isn't helping. I weaned gradually off Percocet and still had trouble. Not fun. The first few days and nights are the worst. Hopefully you will be feeling much better soon!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Janis, I haven't been online the past few days. Hate to read you are having such a difficult time. :gaah: I hope this weekend with rest will start you on the road to feeling better.
I have become a little more active and the swelling is ridiculous, by bedtime my flexion is really poor. But I am sure you would trade my swelling issues with yours.
Prayers continue for your recovery. Hope you feel better very soon. :fingersx:
 
Please forgive me. I am a new member trying to post a forum. I've tried everything. I couldn't find a support email address I can write, help info didn't work. Can someone help? Thank you, Lynn. So sorry to interrupt this forum .
 
@lynn55
Welcome!
If you can tell us a bit more about why you want to post here on BoneSmart, we will then be able to put your posts in the appropriate forum. Do you have a problem with a knee or a hip? Have you had surgery, or are you anticipating surgery?
We do have a whole section called How To Use This Forum .
That could be helpful for you, too.
 
Timetolive, sounds like you have a responsive doctor. I'm sure you are already drinking lots of water to flush that stuff out of your body. I know the holidays are right around the corner, but this year you need to put the load on others. Your health is number one. Rest. Imagine yourself back to fully functioning. Take it slow. Your body is a magic thing.
 
Good afternoon. My heart is lifted with all the posts from you all. Today is slightly better. I slept about 6 hours last night and it was a blessing. The nausea is still with me, although not as debilitating. I am trying to figure out the Phenergan. If I take half, I am groggy for 3 hours, then have about 2.5 hours of feeling o.k. Then, it is time to take another dose and start that all over again. I am trying 1/4 now. The Poop Fairy is trying to work itself out - although still a problem. For some reason I am very emotional today. Part of it is probably due to the fact I am missing my extended family Christmas party tonight. I just could not make it. The thought of all that good, rich food just turns my stomach. This is a heck of a diet!

Now, about Ralph......for those of you that had a lot of bruising: did your bruising go in your ankle eventually and if so, did you then have swelling? As you may recall, I had excessive bruising and bleeding from the Xarelto and it is FINALLY moving down and fading. My ankle is swollen and tender now - for the first time since my surgery. It is not because I have not be resting and elevating - goodness knows that is all I have been doing! Do you ice your ankle? Do you still do your ankle pumps?

May each of you as we enter this Christmas week, know the joy of being love beyond measure and have peace and calm in your soul.
 
After my RTKR I had insane bruising from upper thigh to the sole of my foot! I stopped the blood thinner (Eliquis) after two weeks and the bruises faded quickly in a patchy/lacy pattern. Per my recollection, didn't you switch to aspirin 2 tabs a day and continued aspirin therapy for a long time? Are you still taking it? Any form of blood thinner (e.g. aspirin) could prolong the bruising, so if you are still taking aspirin double-check the necessity with your doctor. I'm sure you know that aspirin is also hard on the stomach!! My skin remained tender to touch for a couple more weeks after the bruises faded, especially behind my knee, but all is clear now. Ankle pumps are always good, keep doing them!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Clipless, Diana. I am sorry you had the bruising and tenderness. I switched to my regular 81mg aspirin last Wednesday. You are correct, when they felt it was safe to switch me off the Xarelto, I went to 2 325mg aspirin. I think becuase of the Xarelto, they kept me on the larger dose. I take the 81mg since my brother has colon cancer - one of the preventive measures. I am faithful about my ankle pumps! In fact when I can't sleep, I do them in bed - drives my Darling crazy. :heehee:
 
Now, about Ralph......for those of you that had a lot of bruising: did your bruising go in your ankle eventually - Yes, but it took quite a long time.
and if so, did you then have swelling? - Yes
As you may recall, I had excessive bruising and bleeding from the Xarelto and it is FINALLY moving down and fading. My ankle is swollen and tender now - for the first time since my surgery. It is not because I have not be resting and elevating - goodness knows that is all I have been doing! Do you ice your ankle? - You can do, but I didn't.
Do you still do your ankle pumps? - Those ankle pumps are really done to prevent DVT. Now you're moving around, they probably aren't necessary, but they won't do any harm. I got so used to doing them that I still find myself doing ankle pumps and rotations every time I put my feet up.
I hope you soon start to feel better, Janis.
Do let us know what the doctor says tomorrow.
Hugs! :console2: :friends:
 
Janis, I'm glad to hear your nausea is letting up just a little. Hopefully it will get a little better each day. I'm sorry you had to give up being with your extended family for the party. I knew going into this surgery that we would be spending Thanksgiving and Christmas by ourselves because travel wouldn't be possible. What helps is knowing that the holidays next year will be so much more enjoyable without the pain.
 
I didn't have the extensive bruising that you had but I have had the swelling all the way down my leg and my ankle. I used ice anywhere I had pain. It may help you if your leg is also feeling tender. I still get swelling and pain in my lower legs and I use ice fairly often. As far as the poop fairy your body is going through so much right now with the nausea and not eating you will probably be irregular for a bit.

I'm sorry you are missing your Christmas get together with your family. It is very hard not to be able to celebrate with them. Think of us all as your international extended family. There is always one of us here to be with you. I just wish I could do more to help. I hope that every day you keep improving steadily. I will continue to pray for you.:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @Celle, I will hear from the blood test on Monday.

@jojo9610 , that is something that I forget - thank you for reminding me that in several months, all this will have passed and Ralph will be a WELCOME member of the family.

Marian, @newlybionic, thank you for the prayers. I do think of all of you as my extended family and actually in my heightened state of emotion today, I have cried every time I have come on the board, knowing there is someone here that does care and understands.

I am blessed.
 
Can totally understand the disappointment of not being with family on Christmas. Because I'm having wrist surgery on the 23rd I will not be traveling to be with my family on Christmas. And being single I will be home alone. But I don't mind. With dealing with my knee and wrist I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway. Hope you are feeling better soon.
 
@midwest girl, you will be in my prayers for a successful surgery. I had a broken wrist and you really have to get creative doing things. Is it your dominant hand? I was so desperate one day, I went outside and asked the fella mowing the lawn if he could open the cat food cans for me! Hahaha!
 
Sorry to hear of your sadness today, but totally in sympathy with it! I am hoping your stomach will behave and your spirits will lift as the week goes on. I had a lot of bruising at the back of my thigh, which eventually migrated down to my ankles before finally disappearing. My ankle looked black and scary, but the visiting nurse reassured me it was just gravity doing its job. I was on Lovenox and did not have the terrible problem with excessive bruising that you did.
 
Thanks @Timetolive! The surgery is on my left, non dominant hand. It will have bandages and a brace for two weeks. Showering should be interesting - wrapping both my left knee and left hand/wrist!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom