TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he could prescribe some anti-nausea meds for you to keep something down.
 
Oh no! If you can't keep your meds down call the doc. They may need to hydrate you and maybe they can kickstart the antibiotic with some anti-nausea meds at the same time. So sorry this is happening to you!
 
Oh dear I am so sorry you are feeling so bad praying you have a restful night and that you feel a little better in the morning.
 
The CT showed diverticulitis. The doctor gave me a prescription for amoxicillin for the infection. I have been throwing up all day and have been unable to keep the amoxicillin or the morphine down. I feel so bad. Thank you all for your concern. I just hope this infection can in no way travel to my knee.
Feel so bad for you reading about all these problems. Can't imagine what you must be going through. Hoping the morning brings better news for you. Hang in there.


left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
I am humbled by the care and concern you all have given me. Thank you.

Yesterday was a nightmare. I Have never had diverticulitis and know nothing about it - other than it hurts like someone is stabbing you with red hot pokers in your lower left abdomen. I had to drink two bottles of contrast for the CT and barely kept it down for the test. When we got home, I started throwing up. My husband called the doctor in the afternoon (we thought it was the contrast making me sick, but the nausea never stopped) and he did call in a script for phenergan. I was finally able to keep the antibiotic down about 8:00 pm. I spent most of yesterday in the bed, so Ralph had a nice day of rest. Good thing, since the morphine was wearing off too. After researching, we found that not only do opiates slow the colonic action down (we ALLLLL know that from the constipation) they can also cause the diverticulitis. I did know I had diverticula from a colonoscopy - so the morphine gave them a chance to become impacted and then infected. I am going to wean off the morphine - I just can't take this anymore. I remembered I had the morphine 15 mg. IR, so I started taking those every 4 hours last night instead of the 30 mg ER every 12. Then I am going to extend the 4 hours every day or so. Does that sound logical? I just want my life back. My knee is still swollen and the bruising is still there. I just am at the end of my rope. There is no room for tying more knots and hanging on. This really sounds pathetic, but I am so tired of "one thing after another". I realize others have it so much worse than I do and me sitting here typing through my tears is really sad. I am sorry I am dumping on you all. Where is the light at the end of the tunnel? Where is the silver lining? That, my dear friends, is the continuing saga of Ralph and Janis. Now, I am worried that the infection can somehow travel to my knee...
 
It has been one thing after another for you and Ralph. I think weaning off the morphine will help, but is there anything else at all you can take for pain?
I think the chance of that infection moving to your knee is slim. Josephine and my own OS have told me that it was nothing that I could have done to cause my infection. There are a few articles in the library index on infection. There is also a time line for weaning off narcotics. I tried to cut/paste for you. If it doesn't work just go to library index and W for weaning off pain meds. Keep icing and I hope you are feeling better today.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/weaning-off-prescription-pain-medication.19226/
 
Hopefully today will be better. I think it is a good idea to start weaning off the morphine if it is the reason for the problems. I would talk to my dr about what else I could have for pain I'm sure their has to be something. Good luck and prayers for you today.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @KarriB. I will take Tylenol. That is the only thing left in my Arsenal that doesn't make me sick. I am still nauseous today. I took 1/2 of a phenergan, hoping it would not make me so dizzy. Trying to slowly take more liquids. After you have the contrast and also the IV contrast, I know you are supposed to drink lots to get it out and protect your kidneys. That did not happen yesterday. Thank you for the link. I do hope you have a nice day.
 
@Vangheluwec, thank you for the luck and prayers. I truly appreciate them. If I could get rid of the pain from the diverticulitis, I think I can manage the knee pain now with Tylenol.
 
I don't know if Tylenol will be enough. I've been having issues with feeling nauseous this week so I've backed off on the tramadol and was just using Tylenol. Yesterday I think I had one tramadol. Slept horrible last night because my knee was hurting. So just Tylenol isn't working for me at this stage of one month post op. I'm just going to space the tramadol out to every 6 hours instead of every 4 hours. I know one month post op is too early to cut it out completely, especially if you become more active. I've had diverticulitis and it does heal up nicely with the antibiotics.
 
I hope you're starting to feel a bit better, Janis. What a miserable day you had yesterday! :console2:
You certainly have had one :censored: thing after another.

Wean yourself slowly off the morphine. Trying to do it too fast could cause a few side effects.
Weaning off pain medication . If you have any problems, consult your doctor.

You may find that Tylenol is sufficient now, as long as you take a therapeutic dose - that's 1,000 mg (1G) six-hourly, to a maximum daily total of 4,000 mg in 24 hours. Make sure that none of your other meds contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen). If they do, factor their amount into your calculation of your daily total.

As others have said, I don't think you need to worry about this infection spreading to your knee.

Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel but, for you, it seems to be a particularly long tunnel. You will get there. Just keep doing the best that you can and take it one day at a time.
 
Don't feel guilty about crying! :bawl: You have been through a lot! There is always going to be someone who has had it worse, and someone who is doing better. You have to deal with your reality. Plus crying can release some of that frustration. Sometimes having a good cry is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Celle and others have given you some good advice. Try to take it easy. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in with the infection and provide some relief there.
 
Janis, what can I say? I am so sorry you had such a bad time of it. Diverticulitis is very painful but thankfully treatable. I am just relieved it wasn't anything more ominous that they found. Was really worried for you! Cry away, I would have lost it a long time ago.
My prayers continue and am hoping this is a turning point in your recovery.
(((Hugs))) my friend.
 
Dear Janis
I am so sad to hear of your latest round of pain and terribleness.
(I am feeling a little fuzzy brained, so I can't seem to think of a better word, but still wanted to express my concern!!)
I hope this latest challenge resolves quickly...it seems like way too much for one person to go through.
{{{{{HUGS}}}}
 
I'm so sorry to read about your DX. You have been given so many hurdles during this recovery and you have been so very strong and have still managed to give encouraging words to so many other people including me. I know all these problems will finally come to an end for you. HE will help you through this plus all the prayers and wishes from everyone that you have touched in such loving ways. I would think that since you are on antibiotics that your knee would not be affected by the infection. Please let us know how you are doing as we all care very much for you. May you have a peaceful and pain free night.
 
so sorry, just take an hour at a time, try not to think to far ahead, with diverticulitis, treatment, is to rest the gut and antibotics. Try liquids in small amounts if you can, avoid anything solid for a few days. We can't imagine what you must feel, but we can help support you.
 
What a saga you are living through! I hate it so badly for you. I'm in awe of your strength and determination. I would have thrown up my hands and hollered "Uncle" waaaaaay before now! We are all praying for you to get through this as well. I hope you will find that with ice and elevation you won't NEED much pain med. One day at a time, one day at a time. Hugs and prayers for you, my friend.
 
You poor thing so sorry you are having such a rough time and there is nothing wrong with a good cry. Remember our Lord will not give us anything more than we can handle. I pray that you will have a restful night and that the antibiotics start to work quickly. I pray that you will wake up feeling a whole lot better in the morning. Sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way.
Hang in there you are stronger than you think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom