TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all. Just reading your messages lift my spirits and give me hope.

I am still having some abdominal pain and nausea. The 1/2 of the phenergan seems to be just right for me. It helps the nausea and doesn't make me so dizzy or sleepy. I am hopeful since this will be the second full day of antibiotics that I will see a difference soon. On Monday, I am going to make an appointment with my gastroenterologist so I can find out what I should and should not be doing to avoid this happening again.

Ralph has not responded to all the rest he has been getting and he refuses to release any of the swelling. Mr. Crankypants should be his name. Ha! The morphine step down seems to be working out ok. I am not really noticing anymore pain - just different pain. I feel like I am wearing a sock that has a band too tight when I stand up to walk. There is also a very tender spot on my calf, the side of the knee, and a little further up on the thigh. These are the places where I notice any pain at all - other than the discomfort the swelling causes. It is not any more painful than what I have lived with for the past 6 years. I will increase the time to 6 hours tomorrow and see how that goes.

Sundays are always days of peaceful reflection for me. As I look back on my journey with Ralph, I realize even though things have not gone as I had hoped, they will work out - not in my time, but in His time. With this reflection, I also see how blessed I have been with all the outpouring of love and support I have gotten from my family and friends. Friends that live close by and friends that reside at the touch of my fingertips. Friends that are always here when I need them to offer an encouraging word, advice, a chuckle, or just to chat. Friends that were unknown before, but now, never forgotten.

May your Sunday reflections reveal to you how blessed you are.
 
I hope you have a quiet Sunday and you start to feel better soon. I had to go to my GI Doctor too for problems post surgery with my stomach. They should be able to help. I've had the same areas of tightness and tenderness. From what I read it seems to be common. Ice does help me in those areas too.
 
Thank you Marian (@newlybionic) I have to get colonoscopies every 5 years since my brother has Stage 4 colon cancer - I know the doctor will be on top of this too. Good to hear you have the same areas of tenderness, although I am sorry you do. That is what is so nice about this - knowing you are like someone else and it is nothing to worry about!
 
I hope Sunday was a better day for you, Janis.

Someone further up your thread said that God doesn't give you more than you can handle. I always have a little smile when I read that, because I remember that Mother Theresa was reported to have said this: "I know that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but I sometimes wish that He didn't think I was so capable!"

I think that sometimes you must have felt like that, too.
Things are going to improve, though, and you're doing everything right.
 
Thank you @Celle. Your words bring me comfort and hope. I appreciate you saying you think I am doing things right. When things keep going wrong, it is easy to question whether you are doing something wrong. I hope your day is blessed.
 
Janis, I pray that you have a better week this week. It seems that nothing goes to our plan but His plan and our prayers will be answered. We just have to be patient. It just goes against human nature to be patient. I think the one thing my knee and thyroid problems have taught me is that I'm not in charge. I feel very fortunate to have found this forum. I feel as if I'm not alone in this journey and if I'm having a bad day, all I have to do is post and someone will reassure me that everything is ok. Priceless.
 
Will be praying for you...just cannot imagine having something else going on while recovering. I've had that twice and I just do clear things to eat or drink for a day then nothing with too much fiber for a few days. Hope the antibiotic has kicked in for the pain. Take care!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jojo9610 , thank you for the reminder and assurance that the Lord has a plan and will take care of us. You are right, patience is not easy. You are a great part of the priceless quality of this forum. Thank you.

@ScooperTR, your prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank you for the advice also.

It was a beautiful 76 degrees today. My husband and I went for a nice walk. Nice to hold hands instead of a walker or cane. Nice to feel the love and support of a man that has been my rock through this. We laughed that our walks are now measured by mailboxes and not by miles. It was a good time.
 
I'm very happy that the two of you were able to take a walk today. I hope you are feeling better by leaps and bounds every day.
 
Don't feel guilty about crying! :bawl: You have been through a lot! There is always going to be someone who has had it worse, and someone who is doing better. You have to deal with your reality. Plus crying can release some of that frustration. Sometimes having a good cry is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Celle and others have given you some good advice. Try to take it easy. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in with the infection and provide some relief there.
Yes. A good cry is healthy. Then get up and battle on. We can do this!

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
@Timetolive, so nice to hear you got out for a walk today. Recovery from this surgery sure makes you realize how much your husband really does love you. Sometimes I feel guilty for how much I have to rely on mine but he just reminds me I wouldn't hesitate to do the same for him. This is my 20th surgery and he has been by my side for at least 15 of them. We never had kids so it's just the two of us.
 
Hi Janis, glad to see you got out for a walk today. It was beautiful here today in north Florida but rained this evening to be followed by a cold front. I have been entertaining myself watching Christmas movies.
Hoping tomorrow you will be feeling relief from the diverticulitis. All the meds we have to take after the surgery really do a number to our stomachs.
Thank goodness cutting back on the morphine has still kept you comfortable.
I had a good cry last night....finally. Husband lost the job he was supposed to go back to in February (for health insurance) and daughter is seeing an attorney on Tuesday to file for divorce. Her hubby had an affair 6 months ago and has deserted her and the 2 kids, one has special needs too. God tests us but I thought by now he would know we are faithful in all things.
Prayers going up!
 
Ah @Glamg1979 I am so sorry to hear about your husband and daughter. I do feel your pain with your daughter my daughters divorce was finalized just before I had surgery. It's hard but in my case we are happy for her there were no kids and he was not a nice man. The one thing I learned is to just be a listening ear for your daughter she is going to have good times and bad times as she goes through the process. For hubby I pray there is something even better around the corner.
Praying for you and your family.
 
Ahhh, so sorry @Glamg1979 , I hope there's something else perfect waiting for both your husband and daughter.
@Timetolive yay for a good walk, you must be feeling a little better.
 
@Glamg1979, my heart aches for you. I am so sorry about your husband's job. We always hope and pray things like this happen because there is something better waiting. We will pray for the right job to come along quickly. My daughter also went through a divorce. It is painful for everyone. Sometimes, all we can do is love our children through their difficulties and be there when they need us. You, my friend, are covered in prayer. I know that you are feeling the weight of all of this in addition to trying to recover from your knee surgery. Please take time to breathe and take care of yourself. You are loved.
 
I'm glad to hear you got out for a nice walk today and without a cane is great. You have a special husband being as supportive as he is. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day with the abdominal pain. I have that tightness in my knee also. Hoping you are able to get a good nights sleep tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Dear Janis, I'm just getting caught up on your thread. I'm so sorry that you've been ill, but am glad to hear you're on the mend. You have really been tested since your surgery, and I hope that things continue to improve quickly.
Sending love and hugs,
Julie
 
@Glamg1979 So sorry about the family situations, I hope a new door opens for your husband and there will be something better for your daughter also. I am sending prayers up for you and yours. He doesn't give us more than we can handle...just times that he knows I'm stronger than I am feeling:)
 
Hi Janis! I hope by now you are keeping down those anitbiotics and feeling better. Ralph needs to get with the program and let you begin getting back to normal! Talk about Mr.Crankypants! Maybe you should change his name?? Your challenges have been many, but so have your friends and our prayers.

Our weather was equally as nice yesterday ( and totally unlike Dec or Christmas! ). We had part time neighbors for brunch and by the time it was cooked, I was ready to turn on the air conditioning! Buddy has been working well in the kitchen and after they left, we made a batch of Almond Cloud Cookies ( King Arthur Flour recipe) that was out of this world! The bulk of the batch will be a Christmas gift for a sweet friend today. We are supposed to go out for lunch and some final ( local) shopping but the rain may delay us until later this week. I'm happy to report that at almost 5 months I am closing in on "normal" and Buddy is settling in nicely as a cooperative part of the family. You, too, will get here!!!

BIG hug and prayers for a peaceful day.
 
Good morning. Thank you all for your support. I have a question. The diverticulitis causes pain, nausea, and vomiting. Yep - had all of those. I am still having the pain, not as severe and not as frequent. I am also having nausea still. I switched from my Morphnie ER (extended release) to Morphine IR (immediate release) doing the step down. I had the IR to use for breakthrough pain and as a compliment to the ER when I first came home, but did not take it since I became nauseated when I took it. I thought it was because I was getting too much in my system. I am not taking any ER Morphine now - just the IR 15mg every 6 hours. Could the IR be making me nauseated? This sounds confusing I know. I thought without the ER morphine, I would be able to tolerate the IR. Any ideas?

I know I am not supposed to tag multiple people, so please know that each of you that have taken the time to write a message on here is loved and appreciated. Even when I can not focus because of the dizziness and brain fog, I try to read your messages and take great comfort from them.

I need to go to work today and try to get something done. I am getting further and further behind. When you are the only one that does a job, being out is not a good thing. The problem, I cannot focus very long. I had to take the phenergan and it makes me even more dizzy. Oh bother. Here's to a better day for all!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom