Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
This winter an aide in my school is having phased TKRs. I'm curious to see how her recovery goes and how long she takes. I know my complications made things more difficult, but this comparison thing drives me nuts. My dad had no issues at all with his knees, I had major issues as did my BF. I had told the aide not to expect to return at 4 weeks, but who knows, she could be a quick healer.
 
I work in healthcare and of course everyone thinks they know what is best for you. But only you know what is good for you. I work in a hospital and plan on returning to work on the 28th 1/2 days for 2 weeks. My job requires me to do some standing and some sitting. But 8 weeks of FMLA is all I have so I am going to make it work.
 
Please don't listen to everyone else about the What ifs. Everyone one of us is unique and therefore we all will have different reactions to medications, heal at our own rates and have a different experience while going through this period of recuperation. Janis you are doing fine. You will continue to get better every day. I know HE has a plan for all of us!
 
:iagree: Although I wonder how others have easier recoveries, I would never trade mine for an easier recovery. I learned so much through my recovery and infection I would never want to lose that. I learned that I am able to endure more than I imagined, that I am only able to do that through the power of Christ, and how to truly depend on Him like I never had before. I thank Him everyday for my knee and getting me through it. I learned what it's like to be the one being cared for instead of doing the caring and I learned to ask and accept help. Looking at this recovery as a learning experience is the very best decision one can make (in my opinion) .
 
Thank you all for your encouragement and reassuring words. I reread them often. @KarriB, thank you for reminding me what is important. Each of you have a special place in my heart.

I am so weary of "what next?" Last night I began experiencing severe abdominal pain. Some of you may remember I had the kidney stones before surgery and it gave pause for concern. My lower back has been hurting for a few days, but I had chalked it up to not being able to sleep comfortably. Then the pain started and the backache intensified. So, it seems likely that I am passing one of those kidney stones. The urologist had told me they give you pain meds and just let you try to pass it. We all know how pain meds and I get along. :bawl: I am going to drink lots of water today and hopefully "this too shall pass". Just another pothole in my glorious journey.....:scare: If things don't improve, I will call the doctor.
 
O no!! I'm so sorry!! I hope the stone passes quickly. Call your doctor if the pain continues to see what he says. Feel better:flwrysmile:
 
I hope your stones pass easily. If not, there are other treatment options. For some reason Lithotripsy has fallen out of favor, and fewer urologists are certifying in that procedure. It's too bad, as I know patients who were helped by Lithotripsy.
 
I hope you pass those kidney stones quickly, Janis. I know that the pain from them can be pretty bad.

I had a lithotripsy that didn't work and ended up having keyhole surgery to remove a stone that was too big to pass.
 
Ohh so sorry to hear about the kidney stones. I've had them once. Hopefully it will pass quickly. Just keep drinking extra water. Hope you can get a good nights sleep tonight


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone. Still having pain and backache. It is tolerable - thanks to the morphine for Ralph no doubt! @Celle, when they were discovered before surgery, they should be small enough to pass, although there is no telling how much they have grown since the scan. I am sorry you had to go through that. It is not fun for sure.

My Darling took me for a short walk outside today. I was hoping it would relax the back some. Just being outside under those Carolina blue skies was good medicine. I hope everyone has had a nice day.
 
Oh no! You just aren't catching a break! Or maybe you are since you still on morphine (bright side??). Anyway, I sure do hope you are feeling better soon. :flwrysmile:
 
Timetolive sorry about nausea..I get that too. I got some pills from dr. Seem to help. I think going under is just harder on some of us. Pain meds add to the problem. Hope you are feeling better. How is your new knee?

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
@KarriB ,I had a liquid lunch and have been eating saltines and graham crackers. On second bag of fluid. This is what has worried me the most about surgery.:swoon:
Saltines are life savers. Hope you get your stomach back soon.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Thank you all for the good thoughts and well wishes. I am now home. This morning after a night from hell, I told my nurses we had to have a meeting and get this under control. It appears @Clipless that I am one of those with a severe reaction of nausea to the dialudid. I stopped that and I am now on 30 mg of MS Contin (long acting morphine):chillpill: and 15 mg of MSIR (short acting morphine) every three hours for break through pain. I can take 2 of those if needed. The main pain is behind my knee and calf - PA says the sciatic nerve and the hamstring. I am unable to straighten my knee all the way. I was also given a prednisone pack for inflammation, zarelto for blood thinner, colace and miralaz. Zofran and Reglen for nausea if needed. CPM for 6 hours (2-2-2) and gentle PT. Home health and home PT will call tomorrow.

Thank you for moving my thread to Post-Op and the articles listing. I read them all before surgery. :ok:

Anyone have thoughts about the behind the knee pain? I am icing where the tourniquet was and on the inside of te knee. Dr. wants no ice over incision.
I got that quite a bit on my first one. Ice the back. It would come and go.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Good morning. I am going to the doctor late this afternoon for the abdominal pain. It is not moving around anymore and seems to be "stuck" in one place. If it is not a kidney stone, then I know something is not right after having this pain for three days. I drank 8 16oz glasses of water yesterday in addition to my mug of hot tea and glass of cranberry juice. My urine is still dark yellow. I just cannot imagine I am dehydrated at this point. I drink at least 5 16 oz glasses of water each day plus my hot tea and juice.

It is a beautiful day here. I will get my Darling to go walking with me later. How much do each of you walk? i want to take advantage of this fluke of warm weather while I can! I made it up the driveway yesterday and to the neighbor's drive. I know that isn't much, but it feels like a marathon! :walking:


@theresav, the knee is a work in progress. :bored: All in due time I am sure. I still have a lot of swelling and my bruising is looking better finally. Thank you for asking.
 
We have been having such miserable rain-stormy weather with high winds that I haven't been walking much, other than around the house and incidental trips to the store or out to dinner. You reminded me that I need to get on that. Maybe I'll go to the grocery store and do a lap or two around the store!

P.S. Hope you get this pain resolved soon!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes for your visit to the doctor. I hope he/she can tell you exactly what is happening, and do something to help. Do let us know how you get on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom