TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recovery is hard. Recovery is slow, painful, and perhaps gives us a time to appreciate just how miraculous our bodies are at healing themsleves. We just need to be patient.
I am not sure if any of us---even with all of the information and the articles available---are truly prepared for what recovery entails.

I believe that we do not understand the true length of time that it takes to recover---until we understand what has been done surgically to our bodies---the knee joint is devastated and endures tremendous surgical trauma---and when we come to terms with that, recovery can become a bit easier to understand.

We also have to abandon our work ethic when it comes to recovery---that may be indeed one of the most difficult aspects---we have been taught that hard work will overcome almost any adversity, and we try, in the early days, to work hard and speed up recovery. Sadly, we find out the opposite is true.

The patience is something that we all have to reach deep within ourselves and find---it is there---and it makes the normalcy at the end of recovery---when there is no pain and our knees function as they should---so much more appreciated!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So very true Tim @referee54. That work ethic was instilled at an early age - work hard and you will be rewarded for your effort. Resting, icing, and elevating seems lazy and counterproductive. A lesson that is hard to learn - a lesson we all need to learn and give ourselves the permission to let our bodies do what they need to do - heal.
 
Oh my that bruising is still real ugly but looks a little less angry. Its crazy how some of us bruise so much more than others. Hang in there one day at a time right. hope you have a fab monday.
:puppysmooze::kittykiss:
As for recovery I am right there with you I have not had as many ups and downs as you have but boy the recovery is definately a challenge all of its own. I too am very active and feel so guilty lying in bed or sitting in the arm chair resting. But if you dont our dear knee says hello i need a break. I think we all will come out stronger and have a greater respect for what our bodies have indured and on the bright side its actually quite amazing that here we are a few weeks after having our bones sawed off and then foreign bodies hammered into them and we are actually walking again. Thank you Lord for making our amazing bodies.
The forum has been the best thing I have found in a very long time and has been such an encouragement through this major event in my life.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that your leg is doing better. I feel so bad for you that bruising looks painful. Hopefully everything will get much better thru the next few weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I walked up the steps like a grown-up!! It wasn't hard at all - in fact, I just sort of did it without thinking. I feel like I should say something like....nanna nanna boo boo - or something...:rotfl:

I went to work for about an hour to make the payroll tax deposits. What are you all doing when you sit at a desk? Do you prop under the desk? Sit normally? Walk around every once in awhile? Ralph, of course, thought he should be home on a nice comfy pillow with an ice pack. Any suggestions are welcome as I need to get back to work to close out the books for the year and get W-2s and all the government work done. :sos:
 
Thank you Madeleine, Tim, and @Vangheluwec. The bruising is painful and certainly colorful! I can't wait for it to start turning yellow and green - that will let me know it going away.
 
@Timetolive I was thinking the same thing, how will we manage going back to work, I too have a desk job.....how can we sit at a desk? Maybe with leg up on chair to one side with cushions & ice pack?? I also would welcome ideas
 
That's great you can do steps. I haven't tried maybe that should be my next goal. I've read a lot of people prop their leg up on a box with a pillow or something similar. Good luck with work but don't overdo it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
When I returned to work after my right TKA or after any of my scope surgeries for that matter, I would prop my foot up on another chair and would put an ice pack on my knee. I'm a research lab tech so I'm up and moving around quite a bit. And that becomes the problem for me - the standing. Even if I could sit and do lab work I sit on the wheeled tall lab chairs, but then that leaves my leg dangling. Anytime I had a break or at lunch my leg was propped on another chair and I was icing my knee. With my job it took many months before I would have a day that didn't produce swelling in my knee.
 
You can do steps the normal way already?! Wow, good for you!

I can kind of do my moms front steps because they are low rise, but not quite up to regular ones yet.

Funny how everyone progresses so very differently. I mean I logically know it, but it is interesting to see it borne out in real life.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, and good hints on returning to work, midwest girl. I am trying to figure out how I can elevate my leg around mid day. At least I have my own cubicle and a regular desk. I think I will be able to elevate in a chair most of the day, but I want to get in some "toes above the nose" time, as well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great about the stairs...it's the little things we appreciate:)

I have found 2 different ways that work for me. If the desk is big enough to put you leg up unnder it works great for working on the computer. I used a copy paper box with a pillow on top to adjust for comfort. I liked this way best to reach my computer keyboard...the chair to the side was messing with my back and neck...just a wierd position, I use multiple screens so it is not the easiest to move them around. When I prop to the side of the desk I set my keyboard on the top side drawer to better reach it, and moved the screen over. It all depends on your type of desk also.

Now my favorite -working from home- is my Lazy Boy with a with my laptop with an extra screen hooked up on a side table:)

I hope this. I found the most important thing is a good adjustable chair to save your back.
 
Good morning. Thanks for the suggestions on going back to work. My boss had both of her knees done (a year apart) and went right back to work (farming) within 3-4 weeks. She stopped all pain meds the first week since they made her sick. I get the impression she thinks I should be back at work and she has voiced several times that I need to get off the morphine. I do the books, so I am sitting - even more reason I feel she thinks I should be back at work. After just the hour and half yesterday, the knee flet like it was at its maximum capacity for swelling. Sometimes you wonder if it will just explode! :scare: I am probably projecting my disappointment at my own recovery onto her and reading into her statements. She has been so understanding about me being out of work. She had gone to Duke University Hospital and wanted me to chose her surgeon, but I chose someone else and a hospital/team closer to home. Well, there is a vocie to my insecurities and disappointments. I just wish the swelling and bruising would go away and I could get on with my recovery. EVeryone is right - you cannot bend a hose that is filled with water and you cannot bend a swollen knee. Ahhh.....there is that...patience thing again.....:bored:

Wishing everyone a day of ???? good naps!
 
I have people thinking I should be back already too and it's only been a couple of weeks. I work with macho, gun toting men. I bet if they saw the video of the surgery they would think twice. I'm going to try and go back part time on Jan 5th which will be 6 weeks. I see my OS on the 4th and he said he'd see how I'm doing and whether he'd release me.
 
My husband went to his men's breakfast this morning and of course, they asked about me. He told them I was still having trouble with the swelling and bruising, to which one of the men replied. "Well, if she had gone to Dr. Smith, she wouldn't have had all this trouble." :headbang: Dr. Smith was my original ortho I left 2 years ago for my new doctor and the one that did this man's knee. :bricks: My husband did tell him it was the Xarelto and not the doctor. I guess you could spend your life asking "what if...." I give up.

@jojo9610, I think I am going to just go back and work a few hours a couple days a week. I don't have any formal kind of schedule and have always just worked when I needed to - the boss doesn't mind as long as I get the work done and solve all her computer problems! :heehee: Yesterday, the printer wasn't working.....the dog had unplugged it from the computer.....life on the farm is always interesting!
 
I'm glad that you have a boss that will work with your schedule. Just don't over do it. Animals always seem to get into something lol at least it was a easy fix


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't let all these people who say they had faster recoveries get you down, Janis.
Your knee is different from theirs and it's had problems theirs didn't have. Take as long as you need for your knee.
Don't forget, too, that we all have a tendency to forget some of the worst things about recovery.
 
You know what @Timetolive that just makes me angry when you have comments like that i.e.

"Well, if she had gone to Dr. Smith, she wouldn't have had all this trouble." :headbang: I guess you could spend your life asking "what if...." I give up.
It's just ignorant people believing that if some particular Doctor is not used it will all go wrong or that they are so good because they got better sooner. We are all different and we can see that by all the people recovering on this forum. Nobody has the same outcome. You can have the best surgeon in the world but it does not mean we won't have a complication. Just ignore these people you are doing just fine.

With regards to work I too am a bookkeeper for our business and have been doing everything from my laptop in the bedroom. My office is at home as well and when I have ventured there I have a toolbox under my desk which seems to be just the right height for my knee. I have had it there before surgery as well.

I guess I don't have a problem as far as the boss is concerned as I am one of them :heehee:. So when you do go back do a little at a time I find I can manage an hour in my office then I need to go and ice and relax. Maybe if you can get a laptop you can do your work from the comfort of your arm chair.

Also great news about the stairs my supposed good knee i.e. Right knee is very painful going down stairs hopefully that will clear up once my os scopes it the end of the month.:fingersx:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom