TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
So good to read you are feeling better!! I start outpatient PT next week and I have agreed to only 1 to 2 times/week, they want me to go 3-4/week but I wouldn't budge.
You are so funny about your incision :snork:but as a fellow cake decorator I get it!! My incision is sort of like a fish hook, surgeon incorporated an old incision in with this one. Maybe the other knee will be pretty.

It will be a good Thanksgiving! Thankful this surgery is behind us!!!!!!
Have a blessed Thanksgiving ❤
 
Thank you @midwest girl . Well, I did speak up...but......he still pushed the knee. I told him to stop and he did. So that was good. He said the dreaded "window of opportunity". When he started to push I told him if he hurt me I was going to cry or possibly blurt out "non-ladylike words" :scaredycat: He said go ahead, they had seen and heard it all. The tears did come. I think part of it was nerves too. Most of what we did were stretching exercises to get extension and flexion. Quad sets with a towel under heel, prone knee hangs, seated knee flexion stretch scoot. He also showed me how to do the mobilization of the patella. I elected to go twice a week. I have 24 visits with my insurance.

@Celle, thank you. I tried to speak up. You are right, my OS is the one that doesn't like ice. The PT and I both agreed I will never get through this without ice. They finished the session today with the TENS (??) and an ice wrap. I am going to ice and just avoid the incision. PT also told me to massage the incision. Isn't it too early? No cream, just massage. Thank you for the advice about the poop fairy. I will stay with the Miralax and stool softeners every day then. We need a Poop Fairy emoticon!!! :rotfl::rotfl:
 
Ha! @Glamg1979 !!! Heck! Who really cares what it looks like? We have BIONIC knees! We are SUPER women!! hahahahaha! Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving also.
 
No, do NOT massage your incision, and don't let PT do it, either!!! It's not even healed!!! Nor do you need to "mobilize" your patella. Ugh, sorry- I get upset when PT does or says ridiculous things. :headbang:

I started using cocoa butter on my scar and massaging it very, very gently at about 6 weeks post op because I wanted to, but it was healed by then. I wiggled both my patellas just now for the first time just to see if I could. They wiggled, but so what? There is no good reason to do this. Especially not when everything's swollen in there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you sound so much more upbeat. I started outpatient PT 2 weeks after surgery with two visits a week for a total of 20 visits. I think in retrospect that was too much for me in the No pain No gain PT group. I would do exercises ( including bike) for 60 minutes followed by very uncomfortable stretching and the dreaded flexion/extension measurements with 'Help' from the therapist. After that I would use ice for 15 minutes and drive home for 20 minutes and immediately ice and elevate the rest of the day. They also started to move my patella back and forth to make sure it didn't get stuck. I always had tears in my eyes and straight out crying several times. I hadn't found this forum yet so I stuck with the program. I know better for the next time around.
 
May you each have a Thanksgiving filled with love, restful sleep, appealing food, unlimited ice, comfy pants, pillows at the right height, scars that heal, and a visit from the Poop Fairy! :heehee:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
    image.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 190
My scar is ugly and not straight at all. The revision surgeon used the same scar from TKR and made it bigger to clean out the soft tissue. As soon as my OS said I could use lotion my pt started massaging with Palmer's Cocoa Butter. It was absolute heaven! It took quite a while for my scar to heal, it was at least two months before I started putting anything on the scar or massaging it.
Your incision looks pretty good. Do you have an icing machine? The wrap that was on mine had an open space with no ice that you could place over the incision.
 
@Timetolive - Well done for speaking up. From now on, don't let your PT touch your knee. I think that's the best way to make sure he doesn't do anything that will hurt you. After all, it's your knee and only you have the right to say what will happen with it.

There's no need to either massage your scar or mobilise your kneecap. Guess what? Nature is really good at healing and will do a great job, as long as nothing is done to interfere with the process. Your kneecap will become more mobile as you heal and the swelling goes down, and all the lumps and bumps in your scar will gradually flatten out, as if by magic. All it takes is for sufficient time to pass and it will all happen.
I really don't know why some PTs feel it's necessary to fiddle around with your knee.

I did no formal PT at all for my last TKR. I just did a few stretches and bends when I remembered, which wasn't very often. I didn't massage my scar of move my kneecap. All I did, once the wound was closed fully, was put a bit of moisturiser on my leg when it got dry. My scar looks great, my kneecap moves well, I can straighten my leg fully and bend it to over 125 degrees.
 
@KarriB , I do not have an icing machine since my OS did not believe in icing. I do have a very nice wrap that uses 3 long cryotherapy packs I got with my last knee scope. An Ezy Wrap. I have been using it the past couple of days and just wrapping it from the bottom. My leg is so big it will not fully enclose my thigh. Just doing the best I can. PT measured it before and after the TENS thing and it did not change it at all. He seemed disappointed. I was. I know nothing about TENS.

@Celle, I wish I could take you with me next time! It didn't seem to matter what I said. I did tell him to stop when it hurt too badly. I know I make scar tissue very easily - it has always been a problem. When he touched my incision, I wanted to scream -"wash your hands"!!!! Hahahaha! I have been sooooo careful about keeping it clean and not touching it without washing my hands. I have either washed it with the special wipes or after I could shower, washed it with soap and water. I think it looks pretty good for no longer than it has been. When he said to pull on either side of the incision, I thought to myself, no way - no how -am I gonna do that! I came home and washed it!

The knee is just as swollen and Darling thinks it looks more bruised. Hmmmm....
 
You can go out to a local pharmacy and get more ice packs. I wrapped them completely around my knee. I used a towel yo hold it in place. You're not supposed to put ice by itself on an incision but your PA telling you not to use it at all seems strange. Even my therapist wrapped my knee all around with an ice pack. As far as I know the TENS can help with pain but I never heard it would help with swelling it at all.

DEFINITELY you can ask the therapist to clean their hands. They have antibacterial wash that does not require soap in their workplace ( or they should have). Can you have your husband stay with you to speak up for you? Or a friend? I have gone with many friends to doctors to make sure all their questions were answered and their wishes were made known. You can always write things down and read it all to the therapist before you start doing anything.
 
I think we share a personality type that dislikes confrontation and unpleasantness.
It can be a blessing and a curse.
It took decades for me to learn that no person will truly take care of me but me.
Don't doubt the boundaries you need to set with PT...it can be hard, but please don't let anyone hurt you!!!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!! :wave:
 
My therapist moves my patella back and forth while I'm doing leg extensions. I wear warmup pants to pt. and I currently still have staples and a bandage over my incision. But I do remember with my last TKA that once the incision was healed she did massage around the entire length of the incision. It's for molding scar tissue. She had me do this for 6 months. And once it was totally healed I used an oil for scar massage. At the end of each session I had ice and electrical stimulation for 20 min. The TENS unit (which I have one at home) does nothing for reducing swelling. All it does is help reduce pain. I'm surprised you came home from PT bruised. The only time she touches me is for patella movement and she gently massages my entire knee. Good for you for standing up for your limits. It does get better. Remember, if you don't like this therapist ask for another. Maybe a female therapist if one is available. Hang in there. You're only 2 weeks into recovery. It took me 6 months before I wasn't thinking about my knee and a good year to year and half before I think it's was healed. Of course o had to have a scope on that knee to remove scar tissue - but that was nothing for recovery. Also, make sure you take pain meds about 30 min before your sessions.
 
Thank you Marian. The PT and I did agree we needed to use ice at least. I don't really know anything about the TENS - I should research it! Happy Thanksgiving to you.

@Gramanator57! , I think you understand. After caring for my mother and her death two years ago, I became very depressed. I have always been a people person and took care of everyone else but me. I am slowly learning - it is a hard lesson to learn. Thank you for understanding. A blessed Thanksgiving to you.
 
@midwest girl , my leg is still VERY bruised and swollen from the Xarelto. Where he held the inner thigh and asked me to push against it - a new bruise. Where he pushed against the calf - more bruising. The female therapist stood on a stool and then put all of her weight on another lady's leg. I just about had a heart attack! That lady had her TKR 11 years ago and was working on ligaments?? I have no pain meds to take before I go - I am only on my 30 mg of morphine twice a day. I am hopeful this new prednisone pack will help with the inflammation. Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Yikes you are bruising easily. I'm sorry. Can you take Tylenol? All I'm using for pain is Tylenol and tramadol (ultram).
 
wish I could take you with me next time! It didn't seem to matter what I said. I did tell him to stop when it hurt too badly. I know I make scar tissue very easily - it has always been a problem. When he touched my incision, I wanted to scream -"wash your hands"!!!!
Look - it's your knee and if you tell him hands off and he insists on touching your knee when you have told him not to, he is committing an assault. No means no!
He has no right to touch you at all, if you tell him not to. You have an absolute right to say what will happen to your body.

Speak up. Tell him "I do not want you to touch me at all. If you do so, I will scream. Then I will talk to your manager and ask for a different therapist." (My good leg might suffer an uncontrollable urge to kick him against his will! :heehee:)

It is much, much too soon to be worrying about forming scar tissue. It isn't just waiting to pounce if you don't exercise enough, or allow your PT to manipulate or massage your knee. What he wants to do simply isn't necessary.

Can you talk to your husband about it and ask him if he will come with you and tell your PT "Keep your hands off" if the PT won't listen to you?
 
@Timetolive I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. If your PT must touch your leg for any reason you can at least ask him to put gloves on. My PT put on gloves any time he was working near my incision. I just asked him on my very first visit if he had gloves and he grabbed a box right away. He remembered to use them right away at my appointment this evening without me asking. He even gives me a pair for when I rebandage myself when we are done. Please let your wishes be known, you will feel better for speaking up.
 
Bruises?! He doesn't need to touch you. When I started outpatient PT (at six weeks post op, much later than you) the first thing I told the therapist was, "You may not touch my knee, period." Lay down the law, honey. It's your body.
 
Wow, I like my PT even more after reading all of this! I go to PT twice a week. Today is only my second visit. She always asks before starting anything, most is me doing something and her giving pointers. She does do some passive range of motion on my knee, but very gently and always checking with me that I am ok with it. As for swelling, she has done two types of massage, both are very gentle and do NOT touch the incision. One basically "milking" the joint from behind, so very gently pulling up and forward starting from my calf. This only comes about 1/2 way around my leg, so not close to the incision at all. This one would be had to do on myself. The other is ice massage, which I can do on myself. They both help. It comes back as soon as I do much, but i try to do it at the end of my home PT.

Oh and I ice and elevate as much as possible. There is a recipe online for home made ice packs, or I use "Colpak" brand. I order the biggest ones they have on Amazon.

As far as the constipation situation, in addition to the meds the gave me (senna lax, or something like that) I swear by prunes and prune juice, plus just plain old staying hydrated.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom