TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad and BF had TKRs before me. I listened as they talked about a PT group that PUSHED on their knee with all their weight in hopes of better extension and the pain from it! I began going to the same group because it was a half mile from my home and I didn't want to put those driving me out. The pt never did an assessment, just started putting weights on my knee and using heat. I wasn't on this site, but heat just didn't seem right to me and I watched every move my therapist made because no one was going to push down on my knee. Well, the infection came, I was back in the hospital and rehab for 10 days with the no bending order. When I was allowed to bend again I was determined to not go back to that group. One of the best decisions I every made. At the new group no one pushed or put heat on my knee. We moved very slowly and I was at pt for 6 weeks, but they took great care of me and understood the severity of my TKR. I don't like confrontation at all, but I like pain even less.
 
Quick note as we are getting started with dinner prep.... Sounds like you have Sports PT instead of medical recovery PT. Remind them that you are NOT an athelete and they are not prepping you for pro football!
Is there another group you can go to?? This could be a long ordeal at this rate. :censored:
 
@Timetolive I'm sorry to hear the problems you're having with your PT. I keep telling myself that I need to lay down some rules at the beginning with the PT coming today. I didn't when I was in the hospital and that PT was trying to push my knee farther than it wanted to go.

I hope you have a wonderful, stress free Thanksgiving with your family. Gobble till you wobble!!
 
I want to stop taking the morphine. I am currently on 30 mg twice a day. Is there a problem if I just stop taking it? I am not sure who to tag that will know this.
 
Are you taking anything else for pain besides the morphine? Diana is right, don't stop all at once, taper down. But you'll still need something for pain. A lot of people do well with Tramadol as a step down drug.
 
I agree with Clipless. It's a bad idea to ever stop taking pain relieving medications "cold turkey", because you can get nasty withdrawal symptoms if you do that.

I think it could be bit too soon to start reducing your pain meds. Some people still need them for several months.
The time to start cutting back on your pain meds is when you find that you are forgetting to take doses.
Don't stop because someone has told you that you should, or because you're afraid of getting addicted - that's actually quite rare after this surgery. Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

I think that it's best to ask your regular doctor (not your surgeon - it's not his area of expertise) for help in cutting back, because sometimes he/she can prescribe a "step down" drug, such as Tramadol, that is less strong than the narcotic you're taking and can suggest a schedule for cutting back.

I have copied this from the article I recommended, above:

Re: Question on Pain Meds
Here is a suggested schedule for cutting back on prescription pain medications. Stay at each level for 3-4 days or even longer if you notice the pain symptoms increasing. This schedule assumes you are starting with one pill every 4 hours before beginning the reduction process.

1 pill every 6 hours and 2 at bedtime
1 pill every 6 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 4 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 6 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 8 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 8 hours and 1 at bedtime
1 pill if you are really doing something active during the day and 1 at bedtime

It is usually better to wean off these meds over several weeks, not several days. But.....if you are still having pain, then your body is healing and you still need pain relief. And in this case, I would discuss your pain management with your GP instead of your surgeon.


I hope this helps.
 
I am not able to take tramadol. I am taking extra strength Tylenol. I am not worried about the addiction. The side effects bother me. I only take the 30 mg every 12 hours. How would you taper that?
 
As I said, @Timetolive , I think you should ask your doctor for advice on tapering. As you're only taking the morphine every 12 hours, cutting back the frequency isn't relevant, but reducing the dose could be. Your doctor is the best person to suggest how much and how fast you need to reduce the dose.

Tylenol is an effective pain killer, as long as you take it in the correct dose, 1,000 mg (1G) four times a day, to a maximum of 4,000 mg (4G) in 24 hours.
 
If you're taking ms contin (the extended relief morphine or similar) it's not safe to split them in half. I agree, call your doctor and ask for help tapering down. I believe there are lower dosages of your med available or he can switch you to something more tolerable. Sorry, I hate nausea too and it must suck to feel crummy on Thanksgiving.
 
Again, I agree with Clipless. Only your doctor can help you with this. You'll probably have to have a smaller-dose tablet prescribed.
 
I just have one thing to mention. If you need pain meds your GP could possible change the med to something else or a medication to help get rid of the unwanted side effects. There are so many things to consider when you speak to your doctor. I hope together that you and your doctor quickly find the best answer for you!
 
Happy Black Friday to all the American shoppers! Today I had three victories! :loveshwr::loveshwr: I got in the shower all by myself - so completey private showering, got the compression knee high on the unoperated leg, and put my slipper on the operated leg!! Small things to many, but that much closer to independence!

I decided to just deal with the side effects of the morphine until I see the OS on the 9th (ONE MONTH!!) and until I can sort out my PT. Thank you all for your help last night. I am just getting weary of not feeling well. Since I normally take only an 81 mg aspirin, all of these meds have my poor body in shock.

I would like to know a good extension exercise other than lying on the stomach hanging the leg over the edge of the bed. It hurts my neck and the hard place above my kneecap.

Hope everyone has a great day!
 
This is the extension exercise I use. While you are laying in your bed, or couch or recliner, place a rolled up towel under your ankle. And then let gravity do its job. At first you won't be able to handle it for very long, but you should be able to increase the time it's extended. The key is to relax the leg and not have all your muscles clenched tight.
 
^My recommendation, also. I taped up a towel roll for this purpose. Eventually (5+ weeks post op) I started draping a soft, flexible 5# ankle weight across my knee as I sat in this position. I agree the key is to relax.
 
I agree with Clipless and Midwest girl. Just remember once you start to have pain to STOP. Otherwise you will had pain and swelling.

Congrats with the shower!! In the beginning I would get so tired I would walk 5 steps and collapsed on m bed for an hour! Those compression stockings are difficult to put on for sure. As a nurse that as one thing that I didn't like doing I would work up a real sweat putting them on and taking them off at nights.
 
Thanks all! @newlybionic, It is only a knee high, so it is not so bad. Is anyone else wearing the compression knee highs on the other leg? I gave up on the thigh high after the PA had me take it off for three days when I started with the swelling, redness, and bruising from the Xarelto. I sure wish that swelling and hardness would go away - it is very painful.
 
I did the pillow under my ankle, but it was because my heel hurt (beginning of plantar fasciitis). I also sat in a chair and pushed the ottoman away, letting my leg bridge between the chair and ottoman. Then again I wasn't allowed to bend for a month, so that may have helped my extension too. :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom